X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish me luck

I'm testing for my black belt tomorrow afternoon
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

I'd say "break a leg", but I really don't think it's appropriate in this context. So good luck!
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

You got this! I tested in 2008 and while parts of my testing felt easy (it should if you know the material), I felt like other parts of my test were some of the most difficult times of my life.

I'll say a little prayer for you today. Only someone who has gone through a similar test will truly understand what you are facing today.

Comment

I had an awesome test!

Messed up the end of one of my forms (one girl next to me was racing through it, and it threw off my timing) but everything else went perfectly.

One of my classmates testing was 79 years old. He's officially the oldest student in our school ever to get his black belt. He's also working on a PhD in Philosophy.

That's how to age gracefully! I want to be him when I grow up
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Congratulations! I've seen 'group tests' before but our school didn't work that way. My forms/blocks/kicks/techniques were all performed and evaluated individually while the other candidates worked on the written part of the eval. The hardest part of the test for me was having to spar with my Master instructor. He popped me a couple of times, once right in the eye. I lost all thought and started swinging mad! Kind of funny now, but that day was harder than giving birth to either of my boys.

Comment

Well done, Sapphire Silk!

As for your co-testee: he reminds me of a story about my Nan.

Nan was well into her seventies at this time, and an active and avid dancer: square dancing and the related forms. She was walking past some spectators one day, when this 'dear old biddy*' style of old lady stopped her, took her hand and patted it.

Biddy: "It's so good to see you young people enjoying yourselves. I'm sixty-three and I can't do this sort of thing anymore."

Nan somehow managed to say something non-committal and not mention her own age.

* I hope this idiom crosses cultures correctly.
            Last edited by Seshat; 04-15-2014, 02:46 AM.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Haven't heard the term biddy in awhile. It's a bit outdated here in the US.

Your Nan is my kinda lady!

Comment

Make sure you tell the old man that. Never hurts to give a kind word.
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                  Make sure you tell the old man that. Never hurts to give a kind word.
                  Oh, I did! That day. He had his own special cheering section and everything, and got a standing ovation. I talked to him after, and congratulated him.

He's a great guy and very well liked.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                    Oh, I did! That day. He had his own special cheering section and everything, and got a standing ovation. I talked to him after, and congratulated him.

He's a great guy and very well liked.
                    That's cute Also awesome.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                      Haven't heard the term biddy in awhile. It's a bit outdated here in the US.

Your Nan is my kinda lady!
                      Thank you.

I aspire to make her proud of me. She's one of my life-heroes.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                      X