This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The egg hunt

So about a month ago, Bossman told me I was doing an Easter egg hunt at The Resort. I'd never organized such a feat.

My background: Growing up, we only did small family hunts, and not even every year. The one time we did an Easter egg hunt at a commercial venue was when I was three and we went to the mall. All the other kids were mean (in my three-year-old eyes, they were mean) and got to all the eggs before me, and I ended up collapsing in a heap and crying until someone pointed out that the Easter bunny had snuck candy into my basket when I was busy crying.

So yeah, with only that history, I was organizing this egg hunt, from the planning to the purchasing to the set-up and running of the event, and it happened yesterday with mixed success.

The good: The weather held out. It was supposed to rain. I bought a f*ckton of fake grass to set up indoors if needed, but happily it wasn't needed. We were able to hide eggs outside.

Also, we were running the egg hunt in rounds. My coworker was able to set up some other parts of the resort indoors rather brilliantly for me to take the kids to. The first area she had me take the kids to, when I looked I didn't see any eggs and I still am not sure how she hid a couple hundred in that particular room. The kids found them all, though.

She set up one of our lobbies twice. The first time I let the kids go, a couple came in to cut through the lobby from the spa. They saw the wave of kids coming at them and had to literally jump out of the way of the stampede! They were laughing the whole time, though, so no harm done.

The second time, I led the kids over, and there was a guest standing right in the middle very intently tapping away on his phone. I could barely keep the kids contained, and I kept looking over hoping the guy would look up so I could motion him out of the way, but he stood there tapping, oblivious to the sounds of dozens of excited kids mere yards away. So I said "Okay, GO!" and the herd broke forth, and as they began to swarm around the guy, he just slowly looked up and around, his eyes growing wider in the most perfect WTF face I ever saw. So worth it!

The bad: We ran out of eggs about 20 minutes before we wanted to. Unfortunately, there were no stats on how many kids had attended this event in years past before The Resort closed. I based all my math on 60 kids. We had at least twice that! I had stuffed 700 eggs, but next year we're doing 1500-2000, and I told the GSRs everyone gets to stuff 300 eggs to contribute next year. We were a bit short-staffed, too. I just didn't plan big enough.

A couple parents reamed me out saying they weren't told when the final round started. Coworker had made the all, and I saw some people not moving so I had her walk around and herd everyone, including this particular mom. They were ignoring us, though.

I asked the parent to bring her kids up but she was adamant about just yelling at me saying how poorly organized the event was and that her kids were upset. I was out of eggs but I had wrapped candy and was willing to set up a small round with that for her kids and their friends but didn't get a chance.

Then she complained to my manager who came up and asked what was up, and my manager was feeling sick and came off a bit more harshly than she wanted to. She did apologize later and asked if I was okay but yeah, the end of the morning kind of sucked.

On the plus side, as I was tearing down the craft zone (where the kids could decorate their own gift bag "baskets" with markers and stickers), I spoke with a very nice gentleman who had brought his kid to the hunt. He and his wife had gotten married at The Resort and came every year except last year when we were closed. We literally talked for like 10 minutes and he congratulated me for doing a good job on the hunt. A few other parents came up and thanked me as well so that helped make up for the bitchy parent.

Overall, the kids were a hoot and had fun. If any didn't, I didn't see them (just Bitchy Parent). Next year we'll make it bigger (and hopefully have a company credit card...I literally paid for EVERYTHING out-of-pocket and am waiting until next payday for reimbursement). And, while I'm happy the kids had fun, I'm mostly happy that Bossman declared the event a success, and if he is happy then I can be happy.

Afterward I went out, got drunk at lunch, and then bought cards and gifts (while still drunk, heh heh) for the CWs who helped (including my Easter Bunny who was awesome).

As long as The Boss was happy with it, I'm going say "good enough" and be happy with it (though I have a ton of notes written down for next year!).
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
    ...(though I have a ton of notes written down for next year!).
    Pound out note #2001, Fri, Jun 13th, 2014: Document where every egg is hidden. A guest just found a whole clutch by stepping on them. The hazmat team was amused, once they got their gas masks sealed.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Congratulations on a job well done! Forget the bitchy parent - there always has to be one, doesn't there?

I have to admit, if I had to do something like that and wasn't given a company credit card or other financing for it, I'd have said hell, no! Just seems a bit unfair for your boss to drop this on you without funding. But if they're reimbursing you, I guess it's all right.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
        Pound out note #2001, Fri, Jun 13th, 2014: Document where every egg is hidden. A guest just found a whole clutch by stepping on them. The hazmat team was amused, once they got their gas masks sealed.
        Oh, my yes! This is very important when using real eggs, less so when using plastic ones.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

For the sake of not risking missing/lost food objects, consider hiding tokens of some sort (buttons, coloured plastic disks with the resort's name on it, etc) instead of eggs; and the kids turn them in.

That will also allow you to have rules where you can stick a coloured armband on the older kids, so that ones taller than a toddler and smaller than a pre-teen have to collect the red tokens, and the pre-teens the blue ones. Keeps the toddlers only having to compete with toddlers.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

The zoo did a neat thing with their hunt; the eggs were empty, and the kids turned in whatever they collected and received a gift bag in return. All the bags were the same. At another hunt this year (my kid is so spoiled) they let the kids under 5 have a 60 second or so head start.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing eggs. There's probably just candy in them or stickers or small doodads, and candy will keep until found. I have eaten candy from a year ago and it was fine, not even stale. No one uses real hard boiled eggs in public egg hunts anymore.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I think they were using the plastic eggs that you can fill with candy, right bhskittykat?

She mentioned stuffing the eggs, so...
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yeah, they were plastic eggs filled with candy and cheap toys.

A couple old eggs were found as well that were broken and covered in dirt. Considering The Resort was closed last year, they were at least two years old (during which time landscaping was supposedly maintained). Not exactly sure where the kids managed to find those ones. I let those kids who found the old ones trade them in for candy.

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                The zoo did a neat thing with their hunt; the eggs were empty, and the kids turned in whatever they collected and received a gift bag in return. All the bags were the same. At another hunt this year (my kid is so spoiled) they let the kids under 5 have a 60 second or so head start.
                Ooh, I like that idea. *taking notes*
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  That's what you get for filling a plastic egg with baking sugar.
                  Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                  Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I JUST got the email that my big reimbursement check from all the purchasing I did is ready for pickup! That's like $300 I kinda have been missing so yay!

Comment

It took them this long? Damn. That's bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X