Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apparantley I'm a Opinionated, bad tempered spoiled brat.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparantley I'm a Opinionated, bad tempered spoiled brat.

According to one person, who also describes me as "bad attituded" "argumentative" with "attitude problems" and "anger issues" who also apparantley doesn't allow people to have other opinions.

Yeah, that totally sounds like me doesn't it guys?

Bit of a Backstory, Got invited to a support group on Facebook by my girlfriend, which, as it turns out morphed into a "conspiracy theory, falling for photoshops and bashing other people who have different attitudes about stuff" group. The admin was one of the worst though. Quite often he'd be like "how could people do this to themselves, they need mental help" about body mods and tattoos. Needless to say I was with the "If you don't like them don't get one" and "it's not your body, why do you care." crowd, of course, this makes me an evil evil person!

He couldn't seem to seperate the idea of having an opinion about something (in this case body mods and tattoos) and being ridiculously judgemental. Gods forbid I stand up for people who are being different, right, which is funny in itself given that the admin himself should have really known about not being judgemental.

Overall I'm glad to have the crap from the group no longer filling up my page, but at the same time, I miss laughing with my girlfriend at just how ridiculous some of the posts can be. I'm just waiting for the day the Admin tries to tell my girlfriend what a horrible person I am, we'll get a good laugh then.
    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

I really throttle myself down on Facebook, but I have one guy that really drives me nuts - his latest thing was the whole Easter got its name from Ishtar thing. Most people don't realize that I am a huge archeology/anthropology autodidact of 45 of my 53 years to the extent of starting to learn [and being competent at the transliteration part] egyptian heiroglyphics. Combine that with a mother who went to college with Billy Graham, I have an excellent base in comparative theology on top of that. [Not to mention that if I opt for it, I have a free 4 year ride with all the trimmings at a major religious college thanks to familial Trust issues] so I more or less snarkily unloaded on his glurge with the facts. I can deal with ignoring politics [I wisted for Schoolhouse Rock and how it always managed to teach kids in easy to understand earworms, and then when that stops working I move on to pointing out the citations in admin law, admiralty law and constitutional law.]

You want opinionated? Got your opinions *right here* =)
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
      [I wisted for Schoolhouse Rock and how it always managed to teach kids in easy to understand earworms]
      Funny that you mention Schoolhouse Rock.

We bought that for our son a few years back, and one of the videos really makes me laugh.

It's the one where the government is compared to a 3-ring circus, which actually fits the way the gov't acts sometimes. I'll leave it at that to avoid fratching territory.

The funniest (and IMHO most apropos) part of that video is when Congress climbs out of a car like a bunch of clowns climbing out of a clown car. It makes me laugh every time, because I think "they nailed that one perfectly."
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

If anything the name Easter and some of the traditions and imagery (though not all) are more likely to have come from the Germanic Ēostre/Ostara than from anything else.

My last message to the guy was "I don't let people have opinions, really? who just kicked someone from the group for doing no wrong other than having a differing opinion"

It's funny to because despite how much he annoyed me, I never once attacked him, or had a go at him, or got argumentative with him, and yet I'm the bad person?
        Last edited by RayvenQ; 04-23-2014, 11:41 AM.
        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
          If anything the name Easter and some of the traditions and imagery (though not all) are more likely to have come from the Germanic Ēostre/Ostara than from anything else.

My last message to the guy was "I don't let people have opinions, really? who just kicked someone from the group for doing no wrong other than having a differing opinion"

It's funny to because despite how much he annoyed me, I never once attacked him, or had a go at him, or got argumentative with him, and yet I'm the bad person?
          Sure. Because you don't immediately fall down and worship his amazing wisdom and font of all knowledge.

Eostre has exactly one reference: Bede. It's not considered too reliable, and doesn't account for the fact that Easter celebrations have been taking place since about 800 years prior to Bede's existence.

The idea that Easter is a pagan holiday just doesn't fit with the facts. Rather, children's folk stories that were originally used to explain the concept of Easter to very young children lost their connection to the religious aspects of the holiday and morphed into the commercialed tradition we have today
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I know that feeling, I'm about to defriend someone on FB who's fallen into the conspiracy theorist well and doesn't look to be getting out.

It's at once both an incredibly funny, but incredibly sad and frustrating thing, to watch.

But there's only so much I can take of having my FB alert go off, and far from it being a harmless pic of a cute kitty cat, or lame knock-knock joke, it's another warning about how the Gument (tm) is once again, coming for your guns, and here's the (Refuted-by-Snopes-six-years-ago) proof!!!!

SHARE IT! That's the only way to keep the hordes at bay!!!!!!! Because surely a global-arching cabal intent on world conquest gives a rat's ass about what Facebook thinks of them.......

There is, sadly, no way to teach a person who won't "buy in" to the idea of being taught, and the idea that they might be wrong, and the idea that sometimes, there isn't even a "wrong" answer....

live and let live, I'm not going to have a heart attack at 50 like he is if he keeps raging at the boogeyman every single morning.....
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              here's the (Refuted-by-Snopes-six-years-ago) proof!!!!
              I am exceptionally glad to I have not taught my wife, rather than reposting idiocy from her FB friends, to look it up or ask me.
              How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

It's sad that people even HAVE to get refutations for half of this stuff, most of it doesn't even pass the smell test....

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!! DHS buying 1200 armored vehicles for "domestic use" Don't say I didn't warn you!!!!eleventy!!!!

Uh huh, there are, at last count 3007 counties in the US, unless you think each of those "armored vehicles" has enough firepower to level two and a half counties all by itself, exactly how is that a threat?
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

It's things like this that make me glad I don't have a Facebook account.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth TimmyHate View Post
                    I am exceptionally glad to I have not taught my wife, rather than reposting idiocy from her FB friends, to look it up or ask me.
                    This will be on the list of "Things I am Going to Leave My Parents as Advice".

While my parents are fairly sane on that part, my SO's parents have been known to read and to some extent, BELIEVE, what's on Facebook.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                    X