This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wost Scam Attempt, EVAR

Person calls us via their motor club last week and says their car needs a tow. They give us a make/model/location/destination, we give an ETA, call is accepted and driver heads out the door.

No sooner do the front tires of his truck hit pavement outside the lot than the call cancels, via motorclub.

This really isn't all that unusual, people will call us for a tow thinking their car is broke down when really they just needed to have it in "P" before trying to start it, or they thought they locked their keys in it, but found them in their purse.... or needed a jump, but their neighbor saw the hood up and jumped them instead... fairly common.

When that happens, we get a flat "GOA" fee as long as the driver was en route in the truck, if only by a foot, when it canceled.

No big.

Well, the other day we got a letter from the motor club, they wanted us to fax them a copy of the tow slip for that particular call because the customer is stating we ripped the bumper off their car when we towed them and now owe them a new one....

Wonder what their excuse will be when the club informs them that it's quite impossible we did any damage to that car because we never even GOT to it? See? Here's the GOA you gave us (A whoppin' $20, yay!)

Enjoy your loss of service and/or fraud charges if you press the issue, ya dumb schmuck.

If you needed a new bumper, you shoulda done what i do and just go to the junkyard...... and buy a "new" car
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

That is a pretty pathetic scam.

Comment

Might they believe the driver and think that you guys are scamming them? Towing him but still collecting the fee? Or how did that complaint even get through; shouldn't they have wondered 'hey, this guy is claiming the towing company damaged a car that the call was canceled on and we paid the fee...'
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
        Might they believe the driver and think that you guys are scamming them? Towing him but still collecting the fee? Or how did that complaint even get through; shouldn't they have wondered 'hey, this guy is claiming the towing company damaged a car that the call was canceled on and we paid the fee...'
        Even the most basic tow would cost $33.00, I think it's more like a left-hand-doesn't-know-what-the-right-hand-is-doing situation, the "complaint" department probably doesn't know what's on file in the "service" department, and asks for a copy of the bill just to save time.

Either way, Scammy McSammerson is hosed once they get it.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
          If Argabarga's post have taught me anything - its the the motor clubs are simply a fecal matter director. Fecal matter goes to them and is immediately directed the way of Arga's firm.
          How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

Scam Status: FAILED!

And now for commentary, the great chocolatier Willy Wonka! Mister Wonka?

"YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY, SIR!"
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth TimmyHate View Post
              If Argabarga's post have taught me anything - its the the motor clubs are simply a fecal matter director. Fecal matter goes to them and is immediately directed the way of Arga's firm.
              I think he's defended one or two of them, just to be fair. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

They seem to me to basically be the Expedia or Hotels.com of the road service world. At any rate, they sound a ton more convenient for the customer than for the service-providing companies, that's for sure.

Comment

I'm betting sucky, not scammy. Sucktomer calls auto club, gets annoyed at wait time, then flags down wrecker on the highway (or scammy wrecker pulls up to him). Sucktomer's bumper probably gets scratched rather than bent or pulled off. Sucktomer then complains to auto club about crummy wrecker, never mind it wasn't the one they called through the auto club.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                  I'm betting sucky, not scammy. Sucktomer calls auto club, gets annoyed at wait time, then flags down wrecker on the highway (or scammy wrecker pulls up to him). Sucktomer's bumper probably gets scratched rather than bent or pulled off. Sucktomer then complains to auto club about crummy wrecker, never mind it wasn't the one they called through the auto club.
                  This is what I was thinking as well...

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    "YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY, SIR!"
                    I'm-a just gonna leave this right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDnTJcjPhY
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      I'm-a just gonna leave this right here.
                      Lmao! I'm going to be muttering this under my breath at work now.
                      "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
                      Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Working...
                      X