Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, so windows 8 really really sucks.... bad.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, so windows 8 really really sucks.... bad.

For the fourth time, I had to figure out how to get my computer out of whatever funk windows 8 had put it in that wouldn't allow me to use my keyboard or my mouse.

And the insanity is that safe mode isn't easily accessible. The only way I could do anything was to force my computer to boot from my windows disk via my motherboard, and then roll it back to an earlier date. I still don't know what caused the problem this time.

I've used every single windows program since windows 3.1 back in the 90's and have never regretted owning any version of windows more than I've regretted buying this one. I simply cannot wait for windows 9 to come out. It can't possibly be worse than this piece of garbage.

And I STILL can't get windows 8 to recognize my expensive gaming hardware that I've added (I have a gaming keyboard and mouse) because the windows 8 connection that's supplied just will NOT install the software on my computer and forces me to reboot half way through the process.

I've built 3 rigs now, and I do know a little something about computers since I started doing all my own repair work (with the exception of the burnt out laptop screen 10 years ago that resulted in me throwing out the computer after finding out it would have cost the same to fix the screen as buy a new laptop) almost 20 years ago. I even worked as a computer tech for a while.

But THIS windows is driving me batty. At this point, I'd go for apple if it wasn't for the fact that most of the stuff I have on here wouldn't work with an apple system.

So i guess the phrase "Winblows 8" would be appropiate?

Comment

Windows 8 clearly wasn't meant for computers. Just tablets.
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Everythings been updated. I'm scared to update again because I'm scared any updates are what caused the last problem. My computer does have windows 8.1. Yes, it upgraded the usability but not that much.

This program is definitely meant for touch screens but even touchscreens are computers that need access to a safe mode. People don't just use their computers to read books and surf the net, they use them for things like graphics, video, music, and gaming too. I'd love to know what entered into their peabrains that they thought this was a good time to go all out touchscreen access when most people still use a pc for other things most of the time.

Besides, you can't type on a touch screen. It just isn't that sensitive to touch yet. I type up to 120 wpm and touchscreens flip out if you reach 20 wpm and suddenly have massive lag.

I could NEVER work with a touchscreen at my job. They don't get the job done.

Comment

I feel insulted whenever I get near a Windows 8. It's like, what, you people think I can't read now?
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I have Windows 8 on the laptop, and did have 8.1 at one point, but I had the issue that it was taking forever for it to shut down. So I did a refresh and haven't opted to update to 8.1. Unless there's a real need to do so, and the only one I ever saw was that I could do a shutdown from the tiles rather than moving the mouse to a corner to access the panel, I don't plan to. If there are compelling reasons for me to update, I'm all ears. So far it's running fine on 8.
            Random conversation:
            Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
            DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Sounds like Microsoft has found a way to put more suck into an operating system than Bob, Windows ME, and Windows Vista combined.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

You may want to downgrade to 7 if you can find it.

Comment

Is it too much to ask to actually *keep* the old school desktop, taskbar and start button? This tiles crap is pissing me off. I will say the only damned thing it has going for it is mine is lightening fast to power up and power down. [RoGamers laptop from Asus, it was on sale on base at the exchange when my laptop died, and I am not really able to spend much time sitting at my desk right now.]
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                    Is it too much to ask to actually *keep* the old school desktop, taskbar and start button?
                    I don't know if it changed but when I first tried win8 in its pre-release days, the first thing I did was get rid of the Metro interface & used the more traditional win 7 look.

That was a while ago though & I've forgotten how I did it or even if its possible now.

Yup, that was just for the developers version only :'(

A bit of googling suggests there are ways & means of making it more like win 7 but it involves using 3rd party software in a lot of cases.

I only lasted about 29 hours with 8 before I reinstalled 7
                    Last edited by Cazzi; 06-08-2014, 11:14 AM.
                    Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Windows 8.1 will allow you to use proper windows for things instead of tiles. My computer almost looks the way it used to, but accessing things is still not easy. For some insane reason, there is no quick way to access "run" and finding something requires multiple steps. In windows 7, you used to be able to just click the start button, type in the search box what you wanted and it would do it automatically. The insane idea for windows 8 was to place the search function on the right (requiring that you go to the lower right hand corner to access it and hope the bar will pop up that shows the search function. It doesn't always work). You click on the search item and it will search your computer.

Windows 8 doesn't always place the quick access buttons on the desktop like windows 7 when you install something, and you only get the option to do so maybe half the time. I have yet to figure out a reason why some things will install the quick access buttons to your desktop and some won't.

Access to anything with windows 8 seems to have been massively decreased. Even the command function requires multiple steps to activate it. And half the time, previously functioning methods to test internet connection now has my computer treating me like I'm smoking something when I try to ping or to tracert which both worked in windows 7.

I can keep going. My husband doesn't mind windows 8. For someone like me with more know how, it's incredibly aggravating and limiting. It's like microsoft is making things progressively more difficult as time goes on, not easier.

Comment

Working...
                      X