This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self sighting, maybe?

I may have been an SC at the orthotics place this morning. Ooops.

So, for background, back in mid-April, my son's orthopedist recommended that we have a lift put on one of his shoes to help even out the limb length discrepancy in his legs. I agreed it might help, so the referral process was started. I was expecting to receive a phone call within 10 days, as it does take some time for the insurance to approve everything. Three weeks later I get a letter in the mail saying that they tried to call me but were unable to contact me. Hmmmm. I called them back and verified they had the correct phone number for me. They said that the notes indicated that when they tried to call, the number was disconnected. Since my phone has never been disconnected, the likely thing is that the person in the office mis-dialed but didn't double check the phone number and try again, as a reasonable person would do when trying to call a number that's been recently given to them. So I was annoyed at that, and also annoyed about the really long wait for an appointment, but that really can't be helped, so I dealt with it. The office confirmed the appointment day and time via a letter sent by mail, and had a note on it to arrive 15 minutes early because he's a first time patient. Pretty standard.

So today I get there for the child's appointment as instructed. There's NOBODY in the office, but there is a note on the counter saying that everybody's in a meeting and somebody will be there shortly. I patiently wait 45 minutes, but as I had other things to do today, at the point where we were already 30 minutes past his appointment time, I decided to go ahead and leave.

Right at that point, the staff wandered into the reception area. One of the women asked me who I was there to see, and I said the appointment had been for my son, but that I was leaving since I no longer had time to wait. She glanced at her computer and said, "oh, his appointment isn't until <one hour after the letter stated>. I showed her the letter and told her that I was here for the appointment at the time I was instructed to be here, according to *their* instructions, and I no longer had time to wait. She tried to argue with me. I wanted to yell, but instead I took a deep breath and said "you know, I think I'm just going to call his orthopedist's office and ask for a referral to someplace different. I don't have time for this." Then I left.

I feel as though I might have been quite rude, but on the other hand, that's the second major mistake the office has made. I no longer trust that anything they do will go smoothly, hence my decision to go elsewhere.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

You kept your cool, you didn't let her drag you into an argument, you left without making a big fuss or cursing at anyone. It is NOT sucky to be visibly annoyed when the screw up is the other side's fault, especially if you do NOT then proceed to take out your annoyance on all and sundry around you. And for the record, I would have done pretty much the same thing at that point, and I would be looking at taking my business elsewhere if that was an option.

Rude? Don't even know that I would count that as rude. She was trying to drag you into wasting even MORE of your time by arguing with her. Cutting her off and leaving was probably more polite than staying and going a few rounds with her would have been. Certainly better for your mental state, and, if only she knew it, for hers as well as you'd BOTH have wound up even more upset than you already were.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Been there, done that

I had a similar but longer (stupid me) relationship with a dental practice that kept me waiting anywhere from 30 min. to 2 HOURS. After the last aspect of a crown was finished, I asked to have my records transferred to another dental practice. They were genuinely surprised that I was "annoyed" to be kept waiting "just a bit". But, you see, they acquired far more patients from another local practice and simply couldn't keep to their day-to-day schedule...I then said I was doing them a favor by reducing their patient load by a factor of one.
      If there's another practitioner in your area, take your business there and let anyone who asks WHY. Your time is just as valuable as the Orthopaedist's, and they've been wasting it.

Comment

I was worried that my obviously annoyed tone made me an SC. It wasn't loud, nor did I engage in name calling or use foul language, but my tone left no doubt that I was upset.

And it's the orthotics office, not the orthopedist's office. My son's orthopedist is amazing. They always run right on time (and even a little early sometimes!). They bend over backwards to make sure my sons get what they need with the least amount of inconvenience to me (two of the three boys have the same bone disease...sometimes I feel like I should just move into the the building where the doc's office is).

Anyway, I'm a little relieved that others don't think I was rude. It didn't help that the next appointment on the list today was the DMV. I've been using the little one's handicap parking permit from our old state, and I really needed to get one from this state, but I just hadn't had a chance to get to the DMV to get him an ID issued (required), and time was running out. I hate the DMV, so the thought of having to go there was annoying me.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Have you ever seen the sign (or heard the expression) in a store: 'We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone'. It works the other way too. If you are not happy with service, it is well within your rights not to use it. For any reason.

Causing a scene, destruction, insults, yelling, all the behaviours of an SC. Choosing a different service. Free Market, free choice.
          Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Hell, no, you weren't sucky! I'd have gone off on them. I have no patience left. It's pathetic. I'm trying to get better

I think you handled it well. Maybe they'll learn something (wouldn't hold my breath though).
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

No way you were sucky, they were totally in the wrong and it sounds like you let them know that in a calm manner. I would have been so pissed.

I actually had something similiar to that happen to me years ago. I had been to one appointment at a doctor's office and was scheduled for a follow up a couple of months later. About a week before my appointment I received a postcard in the mail saying the office was moving and I needed to go to XXX Street for my appointment. I was actually glad because the new office was much closer to home.

So on the day of my appointment, I dutifully showed up at the new office, walked in, and much to my surprise it was clear that they weren't open for business yet - no furniture, bare floors, no patients waiting, etc. I just stood there in shock and a lady appeared and asked me very rudely what I was doing there. I showed her the postcard, and she said that it was wrong and I shouldn't be there (obviously!).

It turns out that my doctor wasn't even moving to that office, the practice was splitting and another doctor was moving, not mine. No one could explain why I got that card or was even remotely apologetic about the mistake, and then they tried to charge me for a "missed appointment" since the other office was way across town and I couldn't get there in time. I found another doctor after that.

Comment

You were fine. I don't know that I would have been as polite, but I agree, you don't want to deal with them.

I had an issue this week, not with a dr., but my cable/phone/internet provider. I had a 2 year contract, and just before it was up, they graciously "gave" me HBO, free, through the end of this month. Now I'm never home, and barely watch any of those channels, but I took the opportunity to start watcing Game of Thrones, and wow, I was hooked!

So I was quite happy to see that my freebie ended after the final episode of this season. However, this week I tuned in to watch, and poof, the channel was gone. So I call, well, there is nothing in your account that shows you had this perk, etc. ok fine, but I have a LETTER stating I do. can I fax or email it to you? yes, so Monday I fax it. I hear nothing, and nothing happens.

I call Tuesday, and get another rep, who tells me my account says I only had it for 90 days, beginning on x date, ending on y date, which had passed, which is why its gone. Um no, sorry, the LETTER YOU SENT ME says through june 30. Its NOT dated, NOR does it mention any time frame, ONLY that I will have this THROUGH June 30.

So we go around and around and I am not happy. at this point, it’s the principle, and I awnt my last two epis of GOT. I was polite, but firm, and wouldn't give in.

She says, after I ask for, but don't get, a supervisor, if I fax HER the letter, she will follow up. so I do, and she does., but I miss her call. She says yes, we will extend through that date, and I need to contact them, no wait, she will call me back, to confirm this is what I want.

OH FFS. why would I have called if I didn't want it back?????

So yesterday, rather than call and get someone ELSE, and have to go through the same song and dance, I faxed again to the same rep, stating yes, I want it, please fix it, and her's my work #

I go home, and there is an email from them, confirming my order for TWELVE months of HBO. FFS what did you do????? but then I see a second one, saying pursuant to your inquiry, we are crediting your account x dollars, (the cost of one month since they are offering it for 12 months at half off)

So I think its fixed, and the reason they "added" it and then credited me, was to make it official and have the paper trail, but clearly the left hand didn't know what the right was doing.

Clearly there was some disconnect in what was put into my account, and the letter that they actually sent me. Now I work in retail and despise "the customer is always right" but in this case, I have to say I was since i had it in writing.

Comment

Working...
                X