This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Brits.

So in your part of the world you call a show's episodes for the year or time period a series, whereas over here we call it a season. For example episodes of doctor who Rose to The Parting of the Ways we would call a season with a season finale and a season premiere. You instead substitute in series, having a series finale and premiere each year.

We use the term series to refer to the entire run of the show, the series finale will the final episode of the show ever.

So what is your term for the show itself? Do you just call it show and have a show finale and premiere or is there another term I'm not aware of?
    Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
    Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

I normally just say "show" or "tv show", as I think most people around here at least do. Sadly there's no interesting Britticism to replace it with yet (give us time though, we might eventually make one up).

Comment

"A tv series" - the overarching show
      "series" - the run of eps filmed as one set to be watched consecutively and shown consecutively.
      "series finale" - last ep is season
      "Show finale" - last every episode
      "mid series finale" - the we took a break and are going to cliffhanger you ep.

It annoys me to hell when I see the channels that use "series premiere" for every bloody episode in the series because its the first run. They've also started to use "channel premiere" these days....
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I think "series" and "season" are used interchangably - thanks to the influx of American shows - so you can have "season 1" and "series 1" referring to the same thing.

Overall, it'd just be "show" or the name of the show, I think. I usually refer to the shows by name.
        I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Season is starting to be used more often over here to describe what would we would usually refer to as a series.

Comment

Working...
          X