Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pros and Cons of Living Alone (Future Edition)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminds me of a family I knew growing up (the oldest child was a classmate and friend of mine). Two parents, six daughters (by the time they were up to six, the oldest girls were headed into their teens), one bathroom. I always felt VERY sorry for my friend's father.

Even though my household has only two humans (we also have a cat and a bird), we find having two bathrooms VERY useful at times.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Re: U-Haul....my sister drove from North Dakota to Western New York in a U-Haul, towing her car (also bringing along 4 rabbits and 2 parakeets!). The equipment was fine. I really think it depends on the area where you rent your truck. It might be worthwhile to check online reviews of the local U-Haul, Penske, etc., and see what the consensus is.

I also used U-Haul to move when I bought my house, and the guy upgraded the truck when he saw that the one he was going to give us hadn't been cleaned. So instead we got a newer truck, nice and clean. So again, depends on your local rental place.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

--This last one seem not to be a typo or error on the part of the person writing the ad, but rather a serious flaw in design. A house for rent apparently had 5 bedrooms, and 1.5 bathrooms. Anyone else see an issue with that?
        Not really, my moms house was built in 1964 and has 4 bedrooms and a full bathroom upstairs, and a half bathroom downstairs.

The whole equal numbers bedrooms and bathrooms is reasonably recent - as in 1980s [more or less] and while you could find some houses that were more than 1 full bath to 3 or more bedrooms, they were the *upper* end of the social/financial scale.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Maybe it's just because I grew up with sisters that I think the idea of not having plenty of bathrooms for people is just nuts. Or maybe my sisters were just nuts. Who knows?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            Maybe it's just because I grew up with sisters that I think the idea of not having plenty of bathrooms for people is just nuts. Or maybe my sisters were just nuts. Who knows?
            While I wouldn't presume to comment on the status of "nuts or not nuts", I can tell you that I grew up in a house with 2 sisters, plus my mom, and downstairs, my grandma and grandpa. We were down there with the grandparents as much as we were upstairs in our own flat, so technically we had 2 bathrooms available for a total of 6 people (7 for a while because my uncle lived downstairs for a few years). And nobody killed anybody over not being able to get in the bathroom
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I did mention the very real possibility that my sisters could be nuts.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Living alone is the best thing to ever happen to me! I do what I want when I want and no one cares! My house my stuff my rules! Well, except for the hamsters of course. They have a say in everything.
                Last edited by Rock Lobster; 07-06-2014, 09:12 PM. Reason: Forgot my babies
                ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

I don't have hamsters.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Rock Lobster View Post
                    Living alone is the best thing to ever happen to me! I do what I want when I want and no one cares! My house my stuff my rules! Well, except for the hamsters of course. They have a say in everything.
                    I have to agree with you on this, without the hamsters. I love living alone, and the only way I'd ever live with someone again is if I were married.
                    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      --This last one seem not to be a typo or error on the part of the person writing the ad, but rather a serious flaw in design. A house for rent apparently had 5 bedrooms, and 1.5 bathrooms. Anyone else see an issue with that?
                      My aunt's beach house has 5 bedrooms, sleeps 12 (bunkbeds), and has 2.5 bathrooms.
                      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        My first place on my own I lived with Gods Gift to Paramedics and his fiance (both formerly good friends) in a 3 bed 1 bath house.

GGP had a habit of taking 3 hours long tub baths (granted we had a cool cast iron claw tub bath that was great for long soaks) almost every day.

After that, I won't live anywhere with less than 2 baths.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                          My first place on my own I lived with Gods Gift to Paramedics and his fiance (both formerly good friends) in a 3 bed 1 bath house.

GGP had a habit of taking 3 hours long tub baths (granted we had a cool cast iron claw tub bath that was great for long soaks) almost every day.

After that, I won't live anywhere with less than 2 baths.
                          Our house is one bathroom in house, one bathroom in the studio in the barn, which I can not access because I don't do stairs. It has gotten to the point [Rob seems to like moving into the bathroom and reading for an hour on the toilet] were Rob is forbidden to do anything except piss and shower in the house. With my gallbladder going fractious sometimes I have a couple minutes warning of needing the toilet and I *can't* wait for someone to wander gently off the pot. When we move, we are having his n hers full bathrooms and a half bath for guests. Otherwise, Rob is getting a portapotty in the back yard. At this point, I don't give a flying fuck - I am not going to compromise on housing any longer.

We have a hot tub for soaking on the back deck=)
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                          X