This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun at the Thrift Store

I took my younger 2 kids to the thrift store, while my husband took our oldest son to his appointment. All was going well until the end of our trip, when I noticed 2 kids (looked to be 8-10 years old) playing alone in the toy aisle.

I didn't pay them much attention, and my kids and I went to the next aisle over. Then something landed behind my daughter, and I noticed the kids were throwing metal tipped darts, and that was what had landed behind my daughter. I told them, "Hey you do not throw darts in the store." One of the kids cringed, and they put the darts way, but continued to destroy the toy aisle. We saw them later running unsupervised all over the store.

When my husband and son came to pick us up, he said a lady walked out of the thrift store and approached him. He asked if he could help her, and she told him she just had a pacemaker put in (not sure why she was at the thrift store then) and needed a ride back home. My husband asked where she was trying to go and she said Kentucky (we're in Cincinnati). We weren't headed that way and didn't have room in our car anyway, so he told her sorry but he couldn't help her out. So then she asked him for $8 to pay someone as gas money for a ride. He didn't have any cash (we rarely carry any), so he told her no again. She left, went back in the thrift store for a minute, came back out, smoking a cigarette, got in an SUV (that looked like it had been in an accident or multiple accidents, because the passenger side was beat to hell) with some guy and they drove off.

She's a lying SOS. She was just trying to scam your hubs; I'm sure she scoped him out and knew he'd say no to a ride so she could hit him up for cash.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth boringscreenname View Post
      I took my younger 2 kids to the thrift store, while my husband took our oldest son to his appointment. All was going well until the end of our trip, when I noticed 2 kids (looked to be 8-10 years old) playing alone in the toy aisle.

I didn't pay them much attention, and my kids and I went to the next aisle over. Then something landed behind my daughter, and I noticed the kids were throwing metal tipped darts, and that was what had landed behind my daughter. I told them, "Hey you do not throw darts in the store." One of the kids cringed, and they put the darts way, but continued to destroy the toy aisle. We saw them later running unsupervised all over the store.
      I work in a thrift store. The only part of this that I find at all unusual or noteworthy is the presence of metal-tipped darts. These would not make it to the sales floor at my store due to safety concerns.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Yeah he figured as much, but he didn't want to be rude and ignore someone while it was raining outside. I guess she showed him the surgical wound or scar, which is why he thought she might have been legit. But even then there are no hospitals in that area, and if someone really did just have a pacemaker placed, I'm pretty sure they make sure someone is available to pick them up from the hospital, drive them home, and supervise them for at least 24 hours.

This thrift store doesn't seem to really screen what goes on the sales floor. I've seen a lot of stuff that is just junk with a price tag on it (I'm talking puzzle boxes with the majority of the pieces missing, games with the majority of the pieces missing, blocks containers with no blocks in them, half used bottles of body spray, lotion, etc). There's usually decent to nice stuff mixed in there too, and the thrift store is huge (one of the biggest ones I've ever been to).
        Last edited by boringscreenname; 06-25-2014, 03:49 AM.

Comment

(I'm talking puzzle boxes with the majority of the pieces missing, games with the majority of the pieces missing, blocks containers with no blocks in them, half used bottles of body spray, lotion, etc).
          I wonder how many of those were complete and/or full when they got to the floor...

Comment

Probably the majority (sigh). I see this kind of thing all the time where I work. Unsupervised kids playing in the toy aisle open up puzzles and games (thus losing pieces), SCs open packages to take out just the item they want and leave us with a trashed package, etc.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Scammer. Why would someone who'd just had a serious operation like that be hanging around outside a thrift store? What, the hospital dropped her off there....? I think not...

Re: the kids, I see that all the time at the one near where I live. Some people pay NO attention to what their kids are doing. Toys are left all over the store.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

This thrift store doesn't seem to really screen what goes on the sales floor. I've seen a lot of stuff that is just junk with a price tag on it (I'm talking puzzle boxes with the majority of the pieces missing, games with the majority of the pieces missing, blocks containers with no blocks in them, half used bottles of body spray, lotion, etc).
                That's what the thrift store that used to be near us was like......only their version was to have empty cassette tape cases and unlabeled VHS tapes. (I'm assuming that if you donated a tape you had recorded off TV, they would put that out for sale)

Comment

Working...
                X