This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure to sarcasm

Took a call from a guy in a city 30 minutes away, profusely apologizing for taking one of our fridges.

He had been part of a large conference group, and had been booked with a roommate. They had a fridge in their room. Guest asked his roommate if it was his fridge, and roommate jokingly replied "Yeah, it's my daughter's dorm room fridge."

The sarcasm was lost on our dear guest, though. When he noticed his friend had left the fridge behind, he cleverly decided to pack up the fridge and prank his guest. As it was described to me, this was what ensued.

Guest called up Roommate
    Guest: "Hey, I was wondering, when you left did you leave anything in the fridge?"
    Roommate: "No, why?"
    Guest: "Are you sure?"
    Roommate: "Um, yeah, I'm sure."
    Guest: "Dude, you left your daughter's fridge here! I picked it up for you!"
    Roommate: "Dude, I was only joking, that's not my fridge. You just stole the hotel's fridge!"

Needless to say, Guest had been having breakfast with colleagues when he made his "brilliant prank call", and they all laughed at him. When Guest sheepishly drove all the way back to return the fridge, I was laughing pretty good, too.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
    drove all the way back to return the fridge, I was laughing pretty good, too.
    As I am as well. Wow. Question now is, does he have the kind of friends that will continue to exploit this rather glaring weakness in Guest, or will they cut him some slack and never joke at him again?

Glad he was honest enough to 'fess up, and decent enough to bring it back himself.

Comment

How embarrassing for him! I admit, I frequently do not catch sarcasm. This has caused me a lot of problems throughout my life.

At least this problem was fixable, and he was decent enough to return it.
      Quoth sms001 View Post
      Question now is, does he have the kind of friends that will continue to exploit this rather glaring weakness in Guest, or will they cut him some slack and never joke at him again?
      A very good question. Depends on the kind of people his friends are.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
      X