This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigh...

People often bring in treats at work. Said treats are often very good. Someone brought in treats last week. Someone else brought in treats today.

Said treats almost invariably contain an ingredient I stopped eating in January, and have noticed a huge improvement since then. So either I eat some of the treats and suffer the consequences, or I abstain, and watch my coworkers enjoying them. They all know that I can't eat certain treats, but they bring them in anyway.

Fortunately, someone brought in something today that I could eat (double-treat day, it was). I'm really tired of watching the others eat things that look delicious, and talk about how good they are, while I can't have any.

It's good that you're feeling better and sticking to your plan. But if the majority of your co-workers don't have a dietary restriction, I wouldn't expect them to think of how it affects you, and honestly it's not really their responsibility to. After you do this long enough you'll probably get used to it. I have a friend on a crazy (voluntary) diet with no wheat or refined sugar and limited dairy, and they've been on it for years and they do fine at parties and stuff where people are eating sweets and bread around them. If it really bothers you, just avoid the treat area if you can. Or if you have a really small office, like 3 other people, maybe you could ask them not to talk about the sweets around you.

Why don't you try bringing in treats you can eat? If other people like them, maybe they'll start making them more too.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

The treats are in the room where I work, so there's no way to avoid being around them. More than the treats, it's about people talking about how good they are, which just makes it worse, especially when I'm hungry.

I've brought in treats before, since it's a common occurrence, but now, I would have to search very hard for something I could eat. Baking isn't an option, with the oven I have. And since the others won't even stay quiet about how good the treats are, and how they're going to have more, I'm not motivated to do it.

Comment

A couple of my colleagues specifically keep treats in their drawer for exactly that reason. If someone brings in something good, they just eat what they have instead. Granted, they're not eating the same thing but at least it eases the feeling of being left out.
        Last edited by Slayer; 07-01-2014, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I know where you are coming from. Being diabetic, I eat low-carb, so I avoid sweets, anything with grains/flour, and fruit. Unfortunately where I work, people are always bringing in treats and 99% of the time its something verboten. Cakes, cookies, cannoli, candies, you name it. Last week we had a store audit and my boss brought in pizza and donuts. *sigh*
          The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I'm occasionally bringing in baked goods to work and one of my Managers is allergic to soy and while I don't always bake without soy, I try to as much as I can so she can join in. Hard to believe how much stuff contains soy!

Comment

My boss is forever doing this, on occasion they buy lunch for a shift, usually pizza. I'm allergic to pineapple and it never fails that he gets Hawaiian, which is his favorite! The kicker, there's four of us on shift and none of the other three like Hawaiian pizza either!

Comment

Quoth TawnyMyst View Post
                My boss is forever doing this, on occasion they buy lunch for a shift, usually pizza. I'm allergic to pineapple and it never fails that he gets Hawaiian, which is his favorite! The kicker, there's four of us on shift and none of the other three like Hawaiian pizza either!
                Does he know that? Could you say, "Hey boss, we appreciate you bringing in pizza, but I'm allergic to pineapple, could you order a [pizza you and your coworkers agree on] next time? Thanks!"
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                  The treats are in the room where I work, so there's no way to avoid being around them. More than the treats, it's about people talking about how good they are, which just makes it worse, especially when I'm hungry.

I've brought in treats before, since it's a common occurrence, but now, I would have to search very hard for something I could eat. Baking isn't an option, with the oven I have. And since the others won't even stay quiet about how good the treats are, and how they're going to have more, I'm not motivated to do it.
                  Hm, what is your food limitation, with the raw fad there are some interesting raw 'bar cookies' and unbaked 'truffle' like cookies we might be able to figure out something for you to make and bring. If it is popular enough you could convince people to make them if they are amazingly simple to make, don't take that long, are not overly expensive [and in the summer you don't heat up your house baking them!]
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                  X