Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know you've found a good archery club when...

-Some of your coaches from the beginner course (not related to the club in any way) turn out to be members and also REMEMBER YOU.

-You're allowed to watch how a club shoot works.

-You're encouraged to actually partake in said tournaments by the club president.

-The field marshal spends his 3-4 minute downtime doing crosswords in between each round. (They use a loud beep to signal ready, fire and retrieve and the marshall actually does check the field, it's not completely automated.)

-The president tells you to get set up with one of the club members for equipment.

-Said club member also turns out to be a coach.

-Said coach spends an HOUR after the session setting you up and promising equipment in the next 2 weeks. (My measurements by the way were not entirely off from my guess: he's setting me up with a 22lb bow at 68", I guessed 20lb at 66")

-Said coach also offers you a free lesson once equipment has been delivered.

-One of the club members has a homemade riser.

And also apparently I have a Canadian/American accent
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

So look what I got today

(From top going clockwise): bow backpack, stabiliser, riser, limbs, bow stand (unassembled), quiver, sight, finger tab, chest guard, bow stringer and string, arm guard. I was VERY glad I got a backpack, as it's less conspicuous on public transport. (the only thing that pokes out is the stabiliser)

Yes, that's my new bow. I don't have arrows yet, the coach explained that he'd rather have me build up the fundamentals before I even start shooting.

The all-blue was unintentional, I said I was happy with blue, but I thought he JUST meant the riser. Imagine my surprise when he showed up with EVERYTHING blue . (Except the finger tab and quiver) From what I've heard, Sebastian Flute is also a good brand to start with.
      Last edited by fireheart; 09-13-2014, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Lovely looking Fireheart!

As you know I shoot traditional longbow and this weekend was doing 70yard distance lob shots on a 27lb ash longbow at the battle of Mortimers Cross.

Did have one fun moment... the first time I try to string my bow in a dress and I have a circle of experienced re-enactors around me half amused and half wondering *just* how difficult it is to string a bow in a dress...... No, I didn't give in and hand it to the boss. I strung Cygnet and a few people looked surprised I managed it!

However shooting wise I got lots of compliments from the Captains and the rest of the re-enactors, a lot being surprised it was my first weekend actually on the field at a show!
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I love the backpack! That's such a great idea!

The rig looks very similar to mine, except much newer. Only thing missing are lateral stabilizers and a clicker.

As for the stabilizer poking out, I know there's shorter ones available, but I've never used them. No idea how well they work.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
            I love the backpack! That's such a great idea!

The rig looks very similar to mine, except much newer. Only thing missing are lateral stabilizers and a clicker.

As for the stabilizer poking out, I know there's shorter ones available, but I've never used them. No idea how well they work.
            The backpack came with the package. My coach also runs an online archery store. He knocked off the cost of the chest guard as well since I NEEDED one. (I'm quite busty) scarily enough, it's actually LIGHTER than the backpacks that my kids at work have.

At this stage, the lateral stabilisers and clicker won't be needed, but I do plan on adding them down the line. Coach takes a holistic approach to things as well, so I also have a fitness regimen on top of that.

This stabiliser is the only thing that currently pokes out of my backpack as it's poking out through the hole where my arrow case goes. I need to find a new home for it.

Luckily for my coach and I, I CAN string a bow correctly now. He had me set it up the other day. I completely forgot that when stringing, you're meant to let the string go slack on one side of the bow while hooking the other end in place.

Also turns out that he got me a 24 pound instead of a 22 pound. I CAN pull it back just fine funnily enough.

Comment

Working...
            X