X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight outta Finland...

You mean they're...CLOSED!

Me: Thank you for calling <red...
    SC: I need to reset the password for my Apple ID!!
    (I HATE it when they cut me off)
    Me: Very well then. (I lead her to the Apple login support page) So from here you just put in the email you used to set up the ID and...
    SC: I don't have access to it, that's why I called you!
    Me: You don't remember the password to that email?
    SC: No, that's what I just said!
    Me: What kind of email is it? I can help you reset it.
    SC: I don't know, it was an email someone set up for me, I don't remember what it is.
    Me: Well, without that the only way to reset your Apple ID password would be to speak with Apple directly.
    SC: You can't do it at all?
    Me: No ma'am, I don't have access to their systems here.
    SC: I thought you could reset it on the internet!
    Me: Usually you can, but not if you don't remember the email you set it up with. In that case, Apple has their own way of verifying you are who you say you are and restoring access.
    SC: Man, well transfer me to Apple then.
    Me: I'd love to, but unfortunately they are closed until Monday.
    SC: WHAT?!?! Closed? What the hell, why are they closed?
    Me: Evidently they decided to shut down for the Holiday weekend.
    SC: Ugh, you mean I gotta wait until Monday to get my ID fixed?
    Me: I'm afraid so.
    SC: Oh no, I can't wait that long. You need to do something to fix this!
    Me: There's nothing we can do, we don't have access to Apple's systems.
    SC: There must be something, anything!
    Me: There's not. I'm sorry.
    SC: Well thanks a lot, you're a greeeeat help! *click*

Does not compute...

Me: Thank you for calling <red checkmark>, how can I help you?
    SC: Yeah, I just activated my new phone and I'm transferring things over my from old phone, but I'm having a problem with this one app.
    Me: Ok, what's the issue?
    SC: It's this game I play, Clash of Crews 4. I can get it reinstalled but on my old phone I was up to Level 38. I really don't want to have to start at the beginning again. I need you to tell me how to transfer my saved data to this other phone.
    Me: I've never played Clash of Crews 4, but I know that carrying data over is typically, app by app. Some will let you do it and some won't.
    SC: So will this one do it?
    Me: I can't say sir.
    SC: What do you mean you can't say? You work with these phones all day long, you have to know.
    Me: It's impossible for me to know every single android app inside and out, there are thousands of them. Besides, <red checkmark> doesn't make any of the games ourselves. You'd have to contact to the developer.
    SC: Well, do you have their number?
    Me: After looking to it sir the developer is based out of Finland and only have a contact email.
    SC: No number? What kind of stupid company doesn't have a phone number? There must be a phone number!
    Me: I didn't find any phone number. Even if I had, it's approximately 4:30 am in Finland right now so I doubt anybody would be there to take your call.
    SC: That's ridiculous, so I have to send them an email and then WAIT for a reply?
    Me: (the horror, the horror!) Yes, sir.
    SC: I was kind of hoping to have this done sooner. I mean you can't do anything?
    Me: I'm afraid not, like I said, we don't make the game.
    SC: *sigh* This is terribly inconvenient
    Me: I understand but look at it like this, your data is still safe on your other phone, it will be there waiting for you whenever the developer gets you an answer.
    SC: This sucks. I really wanted to have this all done this afternoon, but noooo now I have to wait for somebody from FINLAND to fix my problem! Terrible customer service... *click*

Statute of Limitations

I really do get tired of people constantly blaming <red checkmark> for every damned thing that goes wrong with their phones even if said damned thing is a KNOWN ISSUE acknowledged by the manufacturer.

<red checkmark> does not make phones, Borg sphere company does not make phones. The companies that make phones are Samsung, Apple, HTC, Motorola and so forth. If you're pissed off your S4 black screened on you after only a month I am NOT the one to be screaming at. Yes I can help you with replacement options but venting to me at length about all the shit that's wrong with your phone and expecting me to magically fix it is completely unreasonable.

Of course I don't respect SCs to be reasonable, but it's just maddening to me.

In their minds <red checkmark:

- Makes every model of phone in existence
    - Has designed and developed every single app in the Play Store
    - Is responsible for ALL the software updates across Windows, Android and iOS devices
    - Runs every site on the web
    - Has designed and manufactured every wireless router on the planet

And last but not least my personal favourite:

- Runs EVERY email service known to exist.

I really, REALLY hate email calls!

All of this makes my job much harder that it has to be. They really should teach some cell phone 101 courses or something.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
    SC: That's ridiculous, so I have to send them an email and then WAIT for a reply?
    Me: (the horror, the horror!) Yes, sir.
    I'm buying a house in another state, and just the other day I thought about how great it is that I can quickly complete the documentation via email and e-signatures. Ten or twenty years ago I would have had to wait for overnight mail (and paid the horrendous expense of Fed-Upping something cross-country overnight). Not long before that, it would have been standard mail, power of attorney, or I would have had to be present in person.

We have become a nation spoiled by instant gratification.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

We have become a nation spoiled by instant gratification.
      Yep, THIS. This is so true! If something takes longer than 3 seconds people start screaming about how long they've had to wait. Grown-ass adults throwing tantrums....not a pretty sight.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The thing that boggles my mind is these people not only manage to find gainful employment, they also somehow find their way to a store that sells them the phone to begin with! Or hell, that they manage to pay their bills often enough to maintain service. How can someone that can manage ALL of that, still be so incapable of coming to grips with "the phone hasn't been produced by the carrier for decades"?
        But the paint on me is beginning to dry
        And it's not what I wanted to be
        The weight on me
        Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

If these kinds of things upset a SC's day, I'd hate to see how they handle a real crisis . . . or rather, shudder to know they can't handle one.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Walk into the oncology department next time you're working in a hospital, Sapphire Silk. That's a place where you find genuine crises, and can see how these people react to them....
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

SC: It's this game I play, Clash of Crews 4. I can get it reinstalled but on my old phone I was up to Level 38. I really don't want to have to start at the beginning again. I need you to tell me how to transfer my saved data to this other phone.
              Me: I've never played Clash of Crews 4, but I know that carrying data over is typically, app by app. Some will let you do it and some won't.
              If you're talking about the same game I'm thinking of, the data will transfer automatically IF the person had registered their village through GooglePlay (GameCenter for IOS users). Just sign onto your GP account using the new device, and when you load the game you'll get your old village. You can even transfer villages between Android and IOS devices.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

This thread is reminding me that I have to take my cell phone to Verizon tomorrow, since it decided to brick itself earlier today...
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I really do get tired of people constantly blaming <red checkmark> for every damned thing that goes wrong with their phones even if said damned thing is a KNOWN ISSUE acknowledged by the manufacturer.
                  <red checkmark> DID break my phone once, lo these many years ago.

It was a Nokia 5185 (remember those?) They uploaded a roaming list to it that was bigger than the available memory for it, and overwrote the firmware. Bricked it. Then told me I had to buy a new one.

I still believe that they deliberately sabotaged it because they were mandated to get all (or 95%) of the non-E911-capable phones off the network, and this way they didn't have to give me a new phone.

I posted a thread with more details about this in the Telecom Digest back when it happened, but I won't link it here, because it has my real surname in it. Google it if you will, but please don't post links to it here.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    This thread is reminding me that I have to take my cell phone to Verizon tomorrow, since it decided to brick itself earlier today...
                    Follow up to this-- my phone decided to un-brick itself this morning. Huzzah.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                      <red checkmark> DID break my phone once, lo these many years ago.

It was a Nokia 5185 (remember those?) They uploaded a roaming list to it that was bigger than the available memory for it, and overwrote the firmware. Bricked it. Then told me I had to buy a new one.

I still believe that they deliberately sabotaged it because they were mandated to get all (or 95%) of the non-E911-capable phones off the network, and this way they didn't have to give me a new phone.
                      My only objection to that theory is that it requires them to be not only evil enough to do it, but ALSO competant enough to successfully execute the sabatoge. I really just don't know about #2 there...
                      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                        My only objection to that theory is that it requires them to be not only evil enough to do it, but ALSO competant enough to successfully execute the sabatoge. I really just don't know about #2 there...
                        Based on the time I've spent in the wireless industry, my vote is on corporate incompetence, not sabotage.
                        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Of course I don't respect SCs
                          Nor should you.
                          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

As a former Fruitstand retail employee just promoted to customer I can sympathize with the Apple ID issue. First, people didn't like that they had to make up a whole new username. Then they switched to using an email and people didn't like that. And then when they forget the password to their own, completely independent from Apple email address, they would still act as of ALL THIS INCONVENIENCE was everyone's fault, especially Apple's, except theirs.

And just FYI, in the store, reset options are limited and require the customer to remember questions they personally set up or have access to one or more of their 50 emails. This is all assuming they know which ID they actually use because you know for some reason they have 5 all over the place. Do people bother trying to keep their own sh*t straight? Nope!

I also did the phone IT so I GET IT.

Comment

Working...
                            X