This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want your thoughts

I have a brother who is getting married soon but can only afford to fly my mom up. We can't afford a ticket for me since my mom STILL hasn't received her worker's comp benefits from a fall in November last year and doesn't want to sue since she will lose the job. I saw go fund me but don't know if I should bother trying to get a ticket that way since I don't feel its a good enough cause.
    ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

Thought one, tell your mother to talk to a lawyer and consult with them about the issue. In many areas, there are laws that protect someone from being fired as retaliation for a civil or criminal lawsuit (and if they did fire her for filing suit, in most areas she could sue her way to retirement for it). Talking to a lawyer doesn't mean she has to commit, but she can give them all the details, and get their recommendations. The longer she waits to do this, the harder it will be to press a lawsuit, so she needs to do it on her next day off. Pester her nonstop if you must, but get her to set up an appointment fast.

As far as the plane, I can't help you there...I'm guessing it's too far to drive? You can do the Third Party Rodeo by surfing every booking site (Priceline, Expedia, etc) every day looking for deals...I did that and saved over $100/person going to Vegas last year, their deals can change daily. Aside from that, I don't have any ideas
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

As for gofundme: people who think it's not as good a cause as the other causes on the site will simply not donate to you.

I know people who have more money than they need. Not many, but some. One is a woman whose husband died, leaving enough superannuation (401k? Retirement money) for her to live on comfortably. She works because she can, not because she needs to. And she donates a sizeable chunk of her work income to her church; spends some of it on her grandkids (natural and adoptive), and some on whatever causes she deems worthwhile.

I haven't told her about gofundme yet; but she's an example of who might go there to give.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        As for gofundme: people who think it's not as good a cause as the other causes on the site will simply not donate to you.

I know people who have more money than they need. Not many, but some. One is a woman whose husband died, leaving enough superannuation (401k? Retirement money) for her to live on comfortably. She works because she can, not because she needs to. And she donates a sizeable chunk of her work income to her church; spends some of it on her grandkids (natural and adoptive), and some on whatever causes she deems worthwhile.

I haven't told her about gofundme yet; but she's an example of who might go there to give.
        That's why I started this thread. Even I think it isn't good enough a cause despite not seeing my brother since about '09. I kinda looked around and it looks like all stuff that could make a difference like memorials for loved ones and help paying for medical bills for people and pets. I don't wanna start it on there and then feel bad because of my reason.

Comment

How far are we talking here, and how much would a plane ticket cost? And is that the only expense you need covered, or would you need money for while you are up at the wedding? And how soon is said wedding?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            How far are we talking here, and how much would a plane ticket cost? And is that the only expense you need covered, or would you need money for while you are up at the wedding? And how soon is said wedding?
            This is where I feel it isnt worth the effort, the weeding is on August 2nd in Corvallis, Oregon and a ticket is nearly $600. I am only worrying now because we thought maybe we would get money for my ticket too. Oh well thanks for all your answers guys but I guess it is another summer in FL for me.

Comment

And how is seeing your brother's wedding not making a difference?

It can't hurt to post it on gofundme, especially if the site will let you repay people if you don't reach your goal amount.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Ok guys and gals [and everyone in between, I don't judge], Thanks to some positive thoughts I have started a GoFundMe. I set my goal at $650 to cover any and all costs for the flight, I know that I may not get it all but even if I get enough for just the ticket, I'll be happy.

Comment

And after looking at why my campaign wasn't listed, I found out I needed $100 from my family and friends and until such time it isn't even in the public search.
                  Last edited by darkroxas45; 07-16-2014, 06:51 AM. Reason: Looked further into the FAQ

Comment

GoFundMe Update

After some careful consideration, I am ending it after such a short time. Raising $0.00 kinda helped in this decision.

Comment

How about taking a bus? Greyhound goes there. Not sure where you live, but Phoenix to Corvallis is $89 (one way) if you buy in advance.

ETA: Ah, Florida. There to Oregon is $129 in advance, 3 days travel time (including 2 or 3 transfers). Same price & travel time coming back. 2 people, round trip: $516 (plus fees and taxes, probably) with 6 days (+ a few hours) spent on the road.
                      Last edited by Deserted; 07-17-2014, 02:53 PM.
                      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                        How about taking a bus? Greyhound goes there. Not sure where you live, but Phoenix to Corvallis is $89 (one way) if you buy in advance.

ETA: Ah, Florida. There to Oregon is $129 in advance, 3 days travel time (including 2 or 3 transfers). Same price & travel time coming back. 2 people, round trip: $516 (plus fees and taxes, probably) with 6 days (+ a few hours) spent on the road.
                        Brother is buying mom a plane ticket and I doubt she could afford for me to take a bus. I tried to get the money for my plane ticket and failed that's life.

Comment

Working...
                        X