This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm an idiot with poor social skills

I was in a store tonight, looking at some products on the shelf in front of me. I wanted to compare to the ones to my right, I backed up a step to move, into someone, hard enough to knock the products out of both of our hands. 'Oh I'm so sorry,' I exclaim, bending over to pick up the products off the floor. I turn around to hand them over, still apologizing, when I catch sight of the guy I ran into. I blurt out the first thing that comes into my head 'Good God your gorgeous!'
    .....Okay, that was mortifying. I hand everything over, the things I was holding and the things he was holding, and scurry out of there, vowing never to return lest I should burst into flames of embarrassment. I made it home tonight, took my stuff out of the car, and realized, among the other idiotic things I did, I gave him my wallet before I left the store.

If you ever feel like you've done something really stupid, just remember this moment and you can feel a little bit better about yourself.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Um, practical side of me just stood up and SCREAMED "Cancel any debit or credit cards in that wallet right NOW!" Can't say I really disagree.

I can also see where this has some potential to turn into a good outcome. If the guy was amused, he just might contact you to return your wallet. If he's halfway honest, he at least turned it in at the store's lost and found.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

And maybe he found you entertaining enough to want to get better acquainted.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

The police just dropped off my wallet (yay). Including the concert tickets I have inside for a show today (even better!). So other than the embarrassment, I guess alls well that ends well.
        Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

As embarrassing as this has been for you, I think you made his day.

Comment

I had a dream similar to this, where I was guy being bumped into, except the woman bumping into me was Cobie Smulders.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Once, long ago, Khiras learned the importance of making sure he was still talking to the same person. I was talking to a CW about how frigging hot one of our new CWs was while we were cleaning the back room (retail). Old CW left, and I kept cleaning, then I saw movement and said this:

"I definitely agree though, New CW is difficult to look at and talk to without drooling and stuttering."
              New CW: "Aww, thanks for the compliment!"
              Me: /facepalm "You didn't hear that, shut up."

He was cool about it, but never stopped giving me shit after that
              "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
              "What IS fun to fight through?"
              "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Well he will certainly remember you.....

Was he an employee or a customer? If it was an employee then I would go back to the store and make sure to thank him for returning your wallet.

The first impression doesn't always have to be the cleanest.
                I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post

The first impression doesn't always have to be the cleanest.
                  True. Sometimes a lasting first impression is better in the long run than a good first impression. And I think NecessaryCatharsis certainly managed a lasting impression.

The police just dropped off my wallet (yay). Including the concert tickets I have inside for a show today (even better!). So other than the embarrassment, I guess alls well that ends well.
                  What, no little note with a name and phone number tucked in? *sigh* What is the world coming to?
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

44 years on this planet, and I have yet to be that guy.

I'm not complaining. I'm not a hosebeast, but my strength had always been my personality. I've said for years that I've never taken home a woman I didn't make laugh first, and I wouldn't want to.

The closest I've come to this sort of encounter was one day, years ago (not to mention about 20 pounds of beer belly ago), I was stepping out of the pool at the (now closed) clothing optional pool bar, and a woman laying out there said something to the effect of, "Now that's refreshing!" I'll take it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      The closest I've come to this sort of encounter was one day, years ago (not to mention about 20 pounds of beer belly ago), I was stepping out of the pool at the (now closed) clothing optional pool bar, and a woman laying out there said something to the effect of, "Now that's refreshing!" I'll take it.
                      Completely off topic but this brings to mind a favorite saying of a friend of mine. It's become something of a running joke with our gaming group. "It's cute, but can you eat peanuts with it?" As you can see, the folks I game with have rather a crude sense of humor.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                        Completely off topic but this brings to mind a favorite saying of a friend of mine. It's become something of a running joke with our gaming group. "It's cute, but can you eat peanuts with it?" As you can see, the folks I game with have rather a crude sense of humor.
                        They've met the guy with the baby elephant transplant/replacement!

You don't want to know where it stuffs the peanuts...
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                        X