This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nope, I'm done...

Little bit of background around 2 years ago a guy was moving to a house next to his sister. The house he bought still had the previous tenants in it because the contract gave them to the end of the next month because their house wasn't ready. He decided to move into his sister's house and had all his mail forwarded there.

Come to the end of the next month he can now finally move into the now vacated house. We told him he would HAVE to do individual forwards for each name since he and his sister shared the last name. He decided that was to hard and put in a family order, which means his sister's mail would be forwarded to. G (the regular carrier) and I tried several time to get them to fix it. Putting in new changes for them to just sign, we wouldn't get them back.

Finally we just separated the mail, gave the sister her's and the brother his. This went on for a year. After that it became just tossing the mail in the boxes with both of them claiming that we didn't know how to do our jobs. Finally I had just had it and while G was away I delivered how we had been.

Sister comes down to where I am and just yells at me the whole time that "G separates the mail" "G knows how to do things" "What are you new? You don't even have a shirt that fits" (My shirt got snagged on a bush and I tore a lower button, irked me right off because it was a newer shirt.) So I finally lose it, I calmly got into my truck, sick smile on my face and informed her that any incorrectly addressed mail would now be returned to sender as undelivered.

She got mad at that and started throwing another fit so I left. I did not have to stand there and take it from her. They have had 2 years to fix the mess the brother caused, we can't fix it. So that's what I started doing... Yesterday I was informed that her power was almost shut off by the electric company because I sent back all the mail with the incorrect number on it.

Think maybe she will finally wake up and make sure ALL of her mail has her correct address on it?

Rule number 1: Don't fuck with the IRS.
    Rule number 2: Don't fuck with the post office, either.

Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
      Rule number 2: Don't fuck with the post office, either.
      Indeed. Remember, when you control the mail, you control information!
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Question: Doesn't the forwarding of mail eventually "time out"? I thought after a year, the post office would stop forwarding mail. Which means, if her utility was sending it the correct address, it would no longer be forwarded to the brother's address. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding?
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
          Think maybe she will finally wake up and make sure ALL of her mail has her correct address on it?
          HAHAHAHAHA *breathe* HAAAAHAHAHAHA

..oh wait. Are you serious?

Comment

Now, in contrast, USPS can do some very odd things. My coworker went on vacation to India for a month and put her mail on hold. When she came back and took the hold off, it never resumed delivery, and yet when she went to the local substation, they claimed to not have her mail, that it WAS being delivered.

Clueless as to what was going on, and working in the IT field, she did the only thing either of us could think of: She rebooted the postal service. She put her mail BACK on hold, then took it off a week later.

Mail delivery resumed.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
              Question: Doesn't the forwarding of mail eventually "time out"? I thought after a year, the post office would stop forwarding mail. Which means, if her utility was sending it the correct address, it would no longer be forwarded to the brother's address. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding?
              No your understanding right but there is a missing piece of info on your end. Some companies pay for a service where forwarded mail goes back to them so they get the updated address. The power company is one of these.

Forwarding for parcels is 12 months, 13 month the item is returned with the updated address on the label with the memo "Fwd Expr, Return to Sender". Catalogues that pay for forwarding are six months, the same for other magazines. Letters are the same as parcels. Media mail will forward but the receiver has to pay to bring the item up to first class mail.

Quoth UncleImpy View Post
              HAHAHAHAHA *breathe* HAAAAHAHAHAHA ..oh wait. Are you serious?
              No, I know it won't happen.

Comment

I do not understand how some people manage to con their local USPS into doing some things.

A former neighbor lived at 5he corner of X and Y roads. She officially faced Y road, but for some damned reason put her mailbox on X road, with the number from Y road. So along X road, you see 1604, 1602, 4590, 1606...And apparently she addressed her mail 4590 X road!

When the new people moved in, they moved the box around to the front.

I have no idea how she got the post office to do that in the first place.
                Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                  Some companies pay for a service where forwarded mail goes back to them...
                  I just moved in May. I wondered how one business immediately got my new address when I didn't give it to them AND I didn't get any forwarded mail from them in the first month. Next month, mail as normal to my new address! Thank you for revealing this mystery to me!!

Comment

Quoth Firecrackers Not Included View Post
                    Thank you for revealing this mystery to me!!
                    The things we learn from reading this site.
                    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

When my husband was still in the Army we moved from one apartment to another in the same complex. The previous tenant's idea of alerting the USPS to forward the mail was to put a note in the mailbox for the mailman.
                      Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Australia Post has you fill in a form, and pay a nominal fee for however long you want the mail forwarded. The options are, if I recall correctly, 1, 3 or 6 months, or a year.

There's no automatic forwarding. And if mail is misaddressed, it's delivered to the wrong address.

Y'know Aethian? I'd just deliver the mail to where it's addressed to, not to whom it's addressed.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                          Australia Post has you fill in a form, and pay a nominal fee for however long you want the mail forwarded. The options are, if I recall correctly, 1, 3 or 6 months, or a year.

There's no automatic forwarding. And if mail is misaddressed, it's delivered to the wrong address.

Y'know Aethian? I'd just deliver the mail to where it's addressed to, not to whom it's addressed.
                          I'm currently getting this. Even better is the number of people who think that sticking just a house number, not a unit number is the way to go. >.<
                          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I had fun with forwarding myself.

When I moved into this apartment (almost 20 years ago) the previous tenants happened to have the same last name.

When I marked her mail as "moved" and tossed it in the outgoing mail box, *my* mail quit coming.

After I found out, when a business called me asking what my new address was, I went down to the post office and was told that they did forwarding by last name & address *only*.

They said they couldn't set up things so mail for John X got delivered and Jane x got returned to sender. (I *now* suspect that either the clerk didn't know what they were talking about, or just didn't want to go to the extra trouble).

I did get my mail working again. And when I got mail for the previous tenant, I'd circle the first name write "Not at the address" with an arrow from the message to the circle.

*That* seemed to work, and eventually all the folks with her old address got it corrected.

Comment

Back in college, I got tons of mail for the former tennant of the flat I shared with my roommate. He stopped by at one point and we asked if he was going to put in a change of address and he said he couldn't be bothered.

Fine, we just marked everything Return to Sender: Moved, no forwarding address.

Including the jury sumons he got a few weeks later.

Apparently he wasn't happy when the police located him. At the state Police Academy. On the other side of the state.

Oops.
                              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
                              X