This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed? That doesn't apply to me

So I was doing some shopping and getting in my car. I happen to notice a lady walk up to the door at Office Depot (15 minutes after they closed). She pulls on the door and obviously can't open them. She then looks at the sign where the hours are posted. Pulls on the doors again harder and manages to pry them open. Then she looks at the locks on the door, shrugs and just walks inside. I'm sure she gave the employees a good scare

We can only hope she gets a lovely set of locking bracelets courtesy of some nice person with a badge and gun for that stunt.

Wonder if being charged with the breaking-and-entering she committed might get her out of the selfish fog?
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Unfortunately this is retail. If the woman got arrested she'd probably get a gift card from corporate for her inconvenience

Comment

Sadly, the PHBs probably would do that, then blast some hapless employee for failing to prevent the property damage caused by the break-in.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

That lock couldn't have been all that great if it didn't hold up to some pulling scary

Comment

Time to tell this story for the 56,343,087th time:

The swamp was being remodeled, and at the time the stock crew worked overnight. I was working a 5 pm to 1:30 am shift and had to go to the bathroom at about 11, an hour after the store closed.

As I passed the front doors, they suddenly opened and 4 high school kids came walking in.

I asked them what they were doing in the store. "The doors were open so we just came in."

I told them they couldn't be in the store unless they were with the contractors doing the remodeling work. The kids turned around and headed back out.

Then the alarms went off.

Turned out the closing manager forgot to make sure the doors were locked before leaving for the night; sadly not a very uncommon occurrence.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Once when I was working at the pizza place, we had someone like that. We'd just closed, with a sigh of relief and locked the door, turning the sign to Closed. Now, before we could leave, we had to clean up, sweep and mop the floor, and make sure everything was ready for the morning staff. We were doing all this, when suddenly there was an almighty BAM! which made us all jump. Someone had done a shoulder barge at the locked door. I went with the keys to look, only to see the idiot squaring off to deliver another shoulder barge. I opened the door and said to the idiot, "What the hell are you doing?"

He replied, "Are you open?"

"No!"

"Oh. Alright then," he said, before walking off.

Seriously? The door is locked, and your response rather than to read the sign on the door is to try and break it down?
              People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                I see what you're saying, IPF, but the OP distinctly stated that the lady had already tried the doors to no avail, but then went and managed to pry them open. So they weren't left unlocked to begin with - they were locked, but the woman decided that didn't matter and managed to somehow get them open anyway.
                I'd like to know how she did if she only used her bare hands. Methinks a call to the local locksmith may be order.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

If it's close to opening or closing and the store doesn't have hours posted (or I'm in my head too much to notice the hours), I might try the door. But I don't try hard. So there have been times when a store has a stiff door that I'll try it, and if it doesn't open easily, figure it's locked and leave.

In fact I did that just a week or two ago for some store. Then I double checked the time and the stores hours and tried again. Turned out it was just a stiff door. I'm sure I looked strange to the people inside (if they were paying attention)

Comment

The sweetest moment of my retail career was getting to keep the door locked on a lady with 3 kids, who came up to our shoe store at 5:05pm (we closed at 5) on the Sunday before the schools went back. I did not believe for 1 minute her "this won't take long" excuse, since she was at the very least looking for 3 pairs of school shoes & probably trainers too.

Luckily the till was already out & being counted and the owner was not in the store that day, he probably would have let her in. But he would have had to serve her himself as we got paid cash in hand on Sundays for our hours worked & I guarantee he wouldn't have compensated any of us for staying late.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      I'd like to know how she did if she only used her bare hands. Methinks a call to the local locksmith may be order.
                      Don't know what the official name for them are, but the main entrance has two doors. Door 1 has the deadbolt and door 2 has those switches on the side part of the door you flip to lock the door in place. Since the crew hadn't left for the night yet, they didn't set the switches on door 2. So all the lady had to do was keep pulling on both doors until they pulled apart and WHAMO, the store is now open for her.

I've been out of town for a week but I will try to get an update soon on if anything happened to the lady.

Comment

Working...
                      X