This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I'm buying it for myseeeeelf! *whine*

Would you like some cheese to go with that WHINE, girl?

As you might expect, this is yet another ID-related tale, which I saw not an hour prior to the time of this post - I had ducked down to the local Slave 'n Pack to pick up some last minute groceries while I had the chance, when going through the self-service aisles I saw a group of girls of questionable age at two of the scanners, talking among themselves, obviously they were one group. One scanned a bottle of alcohol, which alerted the staff member on duty for an ID check (background: This supermarket has a rule that if any single person in the group looks underage, the whole group must provide ID or the sale is denied)

Staff: I need to see ID from each of you, please.
    EG: I'm buying it for myself, here is my ID
    Staff: I'm sorry, but since you are buying groceries in a group, I need to see ID from everyone or I can not authorise the sale
    EG: But I'm going to be the only one drinking iiiiiit!
    Staff: Doesn't matter. Our 'party rule' states that if any single person is suspected to be underage, the whole group must provide ID.

*this back and forth goes on for a couple of minutes, I could tell the staff member was getting a little flustered*

Me: Let the man do his job, girls. 1. If the cops got wind of it and one of you WAS underage, the supermarket would get a very heavy fine and he would lose his job. 2. For all he knows, you could be part of a sting operation, though the only thing at the moment that shows me otherwise is the fact that you are insisting on him authorising it, which if you WERE part of a sting, it would be classed as entrapment. That being said, is it THAT hard to carry your drivers license?
    EG: We didn't think we'd ALL need one...
    Me: Well now you know (thinking: and knowing's half the battle!)

They eventually took the hint and settled for what groceries they had, realising they would be going boozeless at this point since it was 5 minutes away from the time most supermarkets in the district close (99% of supermarkets in auckland close at 10pm)
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Quoth Kagato View Post
    Staff: I'm sorry, but since you are buying groceries in a group
    At which point ID girl shoulda grabbed her card and hustled to another locale sans friends. She'd be enjoying her tasty adult beverage right now.

Comment

I'm glad you helped the cashier out. So many customers used to just stand and stare at me when I was with a difficult customer. Sometimes they'd even side with the customer even though it was clear the customer was in the wrong. I hate it. It's like they think customers have to stick together and that we cashiers are just rude and out to get them.

I was always grateful (but also very shocked) when occasionally, customers would take my side.

Comment

I'm surprised they didn't show you their "ID".

Oh, sorry. A student ID is not an acceptable form of ID for the purchase of alcohol
        Neither is a work ID
        Or EBT card
        Or credit card
        Um...neither is your social security card
        Or an ID card for the county which clearly states it cannot be used for the purchase of alcohol

*sigh*
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
          2. For all he knows, you could be part of a sting operation,
          The authorities would never send minors into stores to see if they could get age restricted products.</sarcasm>

I am surprised that they don't say something like that. A friend of mine used to work for the licensing agency and they would send in underage people into stores to see if they could get age restricted products. The stores targeted had a reputation for not checking ID and usually just hand over items without checking ID.

Comment

We have the group rule at our store as well, and often times if the cashier at the register by the alcohol sees something fishy, they will let a CSM know and it will be passed down the line to all of us to deny the sale or check group ID for a certain customer. It sucks to be the SC when it comes to alcohol sales, because none of us are going to risk losing our jobs for you. Period.
            Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

I don't know why kids are stupid enough to be hanging around in literal PACKS when they give their money to someone of legal age to buy booze, cigarettes or any other age-restricted items, when they could just be around the corner from the store waiting for their ill-gotten gains. Whether it's booze, ciggies or tickets to an R-rated movie, any reasonably astute clerk will know when someone is purchasing said item for someone much younger...hell, back in 1998, I had a group of teenagers come up to me and ask me if I could buy tickets for Urban Legends (ugh...) for them. I was tempted to tell them it was a piece of shit and they shouldn't waste their money.

Comment

When I worked at the gas station I was taught that it was STATE law that ANY sale involving booze, tobacco or lottery involving more than one person, the statue required me to CARD everyone in said group. NO ID for even one person NO SALE PERIOD NO EXCEPTIONS.

At one time I do believe they did make this part of the "test" procedures for a compliance/sting operations.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                  When I worked at the gas station I was taught that it was STATE law that ANY sale involving booze, tobacco or lottery involving more than one person, the statue required me to CARD everyone in said group. NO ID for even one person NO SALE PERIOD NO EXCEPTIONS.
                  So a parent who brings their toddler into the store rather than leaving them in the car (VERY bad in either hot or cold weather) can't get booze, tobacco, or lottery?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    So a parent who brings their toddler... can't get booze, tobacco, or lottery?
                    Or sometimes spraypaint, knives, etc. I think I've seen such on consumerist or PFB.

Comment

wolfie - to the best of my understanding, yes, that's correct. Whoever wrote the laws either didn't think of that, or just decided to take some of the guesswork/judgment out of it by requiring it for ALL minors. Note that, depending on the jurisdiction, failure to card someone can get an employee fined, fired, or even thrown in jail -- in addition to the store potentially losing the right to sell alcohol/tobacco *at all*...So, it's wise for workers to err on the side of caution.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        So a parent who brings their toddler into the store rather than leaving them in the car (VERY bad in either hot or cold weather) can't get booze, tobacco, or lottery?
                        we had obvious leeway with younger children (say 12ish or below) accompanied by an adult, BUT say 2 older teenagers walked in wanting to buy tobacco neither having ID, one goes away in a huff whilst speaking to an adult outside (possibly the father of one ) the other gets tired of waiting inside and adult) comes in asking for the same product I was required to refuse the sale fully knowing that the product was being purchased for a person who most like was a minor.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                        X