This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I do?

I'm at a loss here. Situation with a friend that has me quite upset. It has to do with how she treats one of her cats. To me, she's being abusive toward the cat, and is going to wind up making him surly, unfriendly, and anti-social.

What she's doing that I consider so abusive is she's not being even handed with the cats. This one poor cat gets singled out for being reprimanded and punished for pretty much everything. He gets yelled at for being on the counter in the kitchen. But another cat gets to sit up on the counter while people are in the kitchen cooking. He's seen it repeatedly.

He got thrown into the swimming pool when she caught him peeing on a new area rug they had. THAT part I actually didn't have a problem with, she caught him in the act and chucked him in the pool.

The part I have a problem with is that 15 minutes later, when she finally let the cat back in the house and he was all 'you still like me, right?' she grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and locked him in the garage for the rest of the night. At that point, from the cat's point of view, he's being randomly punished for no reason at all. This is a frequent sort of occurrence for him.

Last night while we were there there was a spat between this cat and another of their cats (the one that is allowed to sit on the counters in the kitchen, in fact). Yelling ensued and the cats separated and both went off in different directions. It was assumed (by the cat's owners) that the 'primary culprit' had picked the fight, but he was nowhere to be found. Ten minutes later, he's doing the usual cat thing of wandering in the room near where the people are. She coos at him, coaxes him to her, and takes and locks him in isolation for the rest of the evening.

What I see happening is she's making this poor cat neurotic. He doesn't know what behavior is actually acceptable and what isn't because of their punishment pattern with him. What I see him getting out of it is 'if I'm friendly and loving, I get punished. if I come when called I get punished. other cats do stuff and I get punished. i'm going to get punished, so I do what I want.'* In my mind, this is abusive behavior on her part and it pisses me right the fuck off.

So this cat and the one that it fought with last night really do NOT get along at all. It's not this cat's fault either, he's tried multiple times to be friendly with the other one. And I'm watching for a behavior pattern that I fully expect to emerge soon, where the other cat starts picking fights with this one because he's figured out that it'll get this one locked away for most or part of a day. I suspect that may have been what happened last night, though I didn't see the start of the altercation.

I've told the owner multiple times that I will gladly take the cat she's having so much trouble with**, he's right in the middle of my two age wise, and I think they'd get along GREAT. And I'm absolutely certain that I won't have NEARLY so much trouble out of him over behavior issues. (Behavior issues, that, by the way, are getting worse over time, not better. Far as I'm concerned, this supports my case that their methods aren't teaching him anything good.)

I have not mentioned my thoughts about her treatment of this cat because I know exactly what's going to happen if I try to bring that up with her. She's going to take it as a personal attack on HER, no matter how calm or diplomatic I try to be explaining the problem I'm having with her treatment of this cat, and she's going to start yelling and getting all defensive and end with "If you don't like how I treat my animals, you can leave/stay out of my house."

So the question is, what do I do? Keep lobbying for her to give me the cat? Shut up and seethe silently whenever I see her mistreating him? Tell her what I think about how she's treating him and never visit her house again? Stop visiting altogether without saying anything on the theory that what I don't see happening won't upset me quite so much (cause I'll know it's still happening, even if I don't see it)? Talk to her husband, see if he's willing to try to discuss it with her? Try to steal the cat?

ETA: *I know cats don't think the way humans do, not in words or even coherent images most of the time. But, I'm human so I have to use terms that humans understand in describing his emotional states. Yes, I am aware of them directly at times, with not only this cat, but most cats and many humans as well. It may be something as simple as being hyper aware of body language and facial expression.

**She's mentioned more than twice in my hearing that if the cat's behavior doesn't improve that she's going to get rid of him. Last time she did so, I latched on to it and said 'Ok, I'll take him.' She backed off and hemmed and hawed and decided she couldn't possibly part with her darling boy.
    Last edited by Kittish; 07-28-2014, 12:28 AM.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

You live in Nevada so it can't be my friend you are talking about....

Yeah, also got one of these friends. Blasts one cat as being a naughty nasty thing when all he wants is a bit of attention. Lets another get away with murder.

OK, she has 8 (a saga - some are 'fosters' due to issues with neighbours and her being the only one who could take them in). But I DO want to take the 'naughty nasty thing' out of that situ because he gets treated badly in comparison.

If I had half a chance? I would take that cat out of that situ (partner allowing as he doesn't treat him badly) and stuff the friendship....

And btw, funnily enough half the stuff she claims he does? He'll not do to me and he'll actually listen and do what I ask him rather than ignore me.... Interesting...
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Possibilities:

- Call your local animal shelter anonymously and report her.
      - Offer to pay her for the cat.
      - Take it and run (can't really recommend this one because chances are good she'll know it was you and may report you to the cops).

She's not a good person. Probably not a good friend either. She has some reason that she takes everything out on this poor animal and this is abuse.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My opinion is that, even if you get this cat away from her, she'll start taking it out on another animal (or person). I think you'll have to decide whether it's better things stay as the status quo, or you get all the animals away from her.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
          My opinion is that, even if you get this cat away from her, she'll start taking it out on another animal (or person). I think you'll have to decide whether it's better things stay as the status quo, or you get all the animals away from her.
          I'm not sure about that. I've known her for several years, and this is the first situation where any of her cats have been anything other than extremely spoiled. I... I don't even know that she knows she's mistreating him, or if it's become singling him out by habit at this point. This cat has been part of her household for a bit over a year, and it's only in the past couple of months that I've become consciously aware of the difference in how she treats this one compared to the others.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Somehow get the husband's permission to take the cat, then never speak to her again.

Comment

Find someone in your mutual friendship circle (possibly the husband) who is able to get things across to her in a way she understands. Get that person to discuss animal training with her.

You're correct: animals don't understand delayed punishment. (Nor delayed reward, for that matter. Or rather, they can be trained to understand briefly delayed reward - see any dog who will 'wait' for a treat when the treat is right there. But they get something better than just the treat - they get the treat AND praise!)

I don't know if animals think in terms of 'but ROVER is allowed to!' IE: I don't know if unequal treatment is a problem or not.
              I DO know that kitchen counters are a dangerous place for a cat. (Or a dog, or anything else that doesn't know to recognise sharp edges, or might find a half-empty open can of tuna tempting, or will eat cooked - and thus splintery - chicken bones....)

Regardless; something has triggered this behaviour in your friend, and it's likely to harm the cat's psyche if nothing changes.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                Find someone in your mutual friendship circle (possibly the husband) who is able to get things across to her in a way she understands. Get that person to discuss animal training with her.
                <snip>
                I don't know if animals think in terms of 'but ROVER is allowed to!' IE: I don't know if unequal treatment is a problem or not.
                <snip>
                Regardless; something has triggered this behaviour in your friend, and it's likely to harm the cat's psyche if nothing changes.
                It's a good idea. I probably will try to bring it up with her husband, see if he can get through to her. I'm pretty certain she'll just get mad and defensive if anyone else tries to.

Unequal treatment is a problem, at least in this case, because the cat I'm so worried about can SEE the immediate difference in how he's treated vs. how the other cats are treated. And I can... I guess sense is the word here, that he resents it. He wants extra attention and extra goodies too, so he tries to copy the other cats, and gets yelled at and punished.

Not likely to, IS. I'm seeing the beginnings of a personality change in the cat. He's becoming very hesitant about allowing people to approach and pet him, and he's started to flinch and run when anyone walks in his general direction.

Comment

An animal who is consistently mistreated will have personality problems. And possibly health problems. For certain, his life is going to be miserable. People like to say that cats are aloof or unfriendly. Those of us who have cats know that it depends on the cat's personality and the conditions they live in.

Perhaps you could explain to her that she is going to continue to have problems with this cat because she treats him unfairly. He won't be able to do anything "right" in her eyes, which will escalate the punishments and then it becomes a vicious circle.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I would contact the SPCA to find out what your options are, then decide what to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X