Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The quest for the lost memory card (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The quest for the lost memory card (long)

(I hope this is the right place for this one)

So Friday night I was the official photographer for a good friend's 22st Birthday. Took something in the realm of 400 photos or so (in the raw format at the request of the birthday girl, which takes something like four or five times the storage space of a typical jpg)

Fast-forward to Saturday night.

Two events to shoot. Running late to the first due to traffic issues, so when I started shooting I still had the card from the night before loaded up. No room left, so I switch it out and put the card in my pocket.

Big mistake.
    After the gig (about 9pm) pack my gear up, bundle off to the car, and then catch up with my sister at a pub walking distance from the next gig (had about an hour and a half to spare, and wanted to meet her new boyfriend) and then trundle off to the final gig for the night.

As I was unpacking and preparing my camera gear, I check my pocket for the memory card from the night before, to put away safely. Gone

Check all pockets. Nothing.

Check camera bag. Nothing.

Call my sis to check where we were sitting. Nothing.

After the gig (finished at 1am) retrace my footsteps to the pub. Nothing.

Check the car. Nothing.

Drive back to the first place I parked. Nothing.

Retrace my footsteps to the first venue, and check there. Nothing.

Whoops. Major f*ckup on my part.

Cue much stressing and mental self-flagellation on the drive home, and a fretful sleep.

So needless to say Sunday morning I was feeling pretty miserable, dreading what I'd say to my friend. My gf had taken it upon herself to clean out my car in search of it, and tried to get me to drive back in daylight and look.

Convinced it'd do no good, I was hesitant, as it'd be a waste of time. In the end she managed to get me out of the house and on the way.

45min or so later, I'm pulling up to the exact car spot I'd first parked at. Look out the window and I see something on the ground in the middle of the next spot over.

Open my door for a closer look.

It was a memory card.

I reached out and picked it up without leaving the car.

It was my memory card.

I literally had tears of relief.

I don't know how, but must have come out of my jacket as I throw it in the car and fallen underneath the car next to mine (which is why I couldn't find it the night before). It was almost 3pm by the time I found it, almost fifteen hours after losing it,
    I was amazed it was still there.

I took my gf for ice cream as a thank you.

I can only imagine the mental anguish you were going through - so glad you found it!
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

me too... the relief that I felt on the drive home... and the exhaustion that over came me once I arrived...

Luckily the card was intact, photos uncorrupted.

Have just delivered the photos online, and the client (my friend) is ecstatic. Not sure I should tell her this story though...

Comment

I can imagine the relief at finding that.

Maybe wait a few months to tell your friend.

Comment

WHEW! That was the best ending ever - go you/your g/f!

Quoth purple View Post
          Maybe wait a few months to tell your friend.
          Ditto
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

I've just received another event booking based on the photos too (my work is the only advertising I do, don't have enough time for more)

Comment

How well do these gigs pay? Maybe you should make time.

By the way, have you looked into any of the wifi memory cards that will auto-magically upload your pictures?
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

They don't pay enough for me to want to jeopardise my retail management career unfortunately.

Good tip on the wifi cards, I already have one for my backup camera, and my main has the function built in. Problem is the setup - require wifi access, and a device on site to transfer to that has enough capacity to send to... It's a fair drain on the battery life too, it's ok for a shot here and there, but an entire shoot.... I'll have to practice

Comment

What about using the wifi card, but only using the wifi at home? That way you at least know you'll have an empty card at the start of a new shoot.

Comment

unfortunately the wifi on my main camera doesn't function that way (at least I don't think it does) and I've had corrupted images while transferring from the eye-fi card (to the point I've had to run data recovery processes) so I'm not convinced that's the best idea.

I do, however, have somewhere in the range of 8 or 9 memory cards floating around my house, so what I need to do is as soon as I get home from a shoot, swap the card out then and there, so the full cards never leave the house until they're on the computer...

Comment

Perhaps you can get a wrist wallet or neck pouch to store the cards. Sometimes I feel these cards are getting almost too small.
                      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Working...
                      X