This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EEP

So... I'm the assistant manager at a fast food joint. I've been with the company forever and I now have to impress the hardest person in the company to get a promotion. My mother. >_<

She's the store manager and she's the best I've ever worked with but she, because I am her daughter, is much harder on me than she is on anyone else. I'm terrified because the district manager trusts her judgement and while I think I am almost ready she has some very strong doubts.

I know I need training on some things. Mostly on things that need to be done and kept up on to keep the store healthy, clean, and pass inspections. She is under the impression I am going to fail miserably when it comes to training and retraining employees however. While I think I could use some help, I don't think I am in that dire of a straight.

I am also terrified that she won't recommend me for it because she needs me so bad. Which while I understand this is very unlikely is still a possibility. If I left the store she would be screwed as she only has two other managers in the store and one isn't capable of running a shift on his own, nor do I think he ever will be.

The pay increase would make every problem in my life go away. Which while I know is silly to say, it's true. It would let my fiance go back to school because I could pay for the apartment myself so he could just keep a part time job to pay for everything the scholarship he got offered doesn't. In six months time I could have every debt I have paid off in full and start heavily saving for a house as well as my wedding. It would almost double my income over night but my life style wouldn't change.

I'm ready and start training soon but I'm already having panic attacks over things I really shouldn't be. My mom said the first thing to being a good manager is getting a bit of distance between yourself and the crew so you can easily demand their respect and they have a bit of fear of you. This is what she is looking for in me. While I believe I am capable of this, I don't think I am capable of it in the store I am in as I already have a heavily established personality with the crew. Creating distance with people you feel close to is hard. Especially when one of them is your Mother. >_<

So YAY I might be getting promoted!! But... BOOO Panic attacks and fear of the unknown!

Quoth HiddenMica View Post

The pay increase would make every problem in my life go away. Which while I know is silly to say, it's true. It would let my fiance go back to school because I could pay for the apartment myself so he could just keep a part time job to pay for everything the scholarship he got offered doesn't. In six months time I could have every debt I have paid off in full and start heavily saving for a house as well as my wedding. It would almost double my income over night but my life style wouldn't change.
    If your mother knows this part it might tip the scales in your favor.

Comment

Is there any way of requesting someone else to interview you?

Comment

retro has a point -- Pretty much every workplace has gossips and stupid rumors at times. Openly asking for a non-relative to interview you could go a long way toward forestalling any rumors/accusations of favoritism.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's not the interview, she's a the manager that trains the managers. In other words, she's the best trainer in the company and that's why I have to go through her. It's not a favoritism thing, and that is known, in fact the district thinks she's being TOO hard on me. Problem is I'm so needed in the store I'm in I'm nervous. If I leave she won't have a closing manager. At all. Period. There is no one else. So even getting the training I need right now is almost impossible.

But Mom trains the managers for the district right now. I have to go through her to move up. We aren't a huge company. He owns a lot of stores but I still see the owner once every couple months which says a lot about it's size, he's very hands on with his company but trusts his districts and managers opinions as they deal with everyone else more frequently.

Comment

Much as you may have a good relationship with your mother, if she's causing you money problems by not letting you move up in position, it might be time to look into changing employers.

Comment

Working...
            X