Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that's what I call public service!

Well, today's been sort of strange.

I've had a truck for sale for a while, Dodge 2500 with the V10, RWD. Great truck if you're towing, horrible truck if it's snowing. Mechanically sound, butt Ugly.

Thought today was the lucky day, had a father and son coming to do a test drive. They showed up, made a lil small talk, I got a photo of the father's drivers license, gave em the keys and they were on their way.

About an hour later I got a phone call. I thought it might be them, with news of a breakdown, or to tell me they were longer at their mechanic's than anticipated, as they'd mentioned having it checked out.

Nope, was a sheriff's deputy. They had run my truck off the road, took down some mailboxes and hit a farm fence. He was calling to let me know that he was bringing them back to their vehicle and so I could fill out the paperwork.

About 15 minutes later they show up and the deputy asked to talk to me first. Interesting conversation. Boils down to "Thought about this while driving and listening to them bitch. I hate paperwork and this will generate a lot if we follow the book. Also, he's on probation, will lose his license, maybe have to go to jail if we do the usual reporting. He's already offered to fix the fence and mailboxes, those people are fine with that. He'll pay the asking price for the truck and I don't have to fill out any paperwork because everyone's happy. Right?"

I was more than happy to agree, , I'd advertised the truck a good $500 over what I hoped to get and probably $1k over what I had expected to get.

SUPER DUPER CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
    That's a lottery win right there!!!!!!

Comment

That is a win! Now you have more money than you thought you'd end up with and no longer have to hold responsibility for the truck.
      "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth BearLeeBadenaugh View Post
        Boils down to "Thought about this while driving and listening to them bitch. I hate paperwork and this will generate a lot if we follow the book. Also, he's on probation, will lose his license, maybe have to go to jail if we do the usual reporting. He's already offered to fix the fence and mailboxes, those people are fine with that. He'll pay the asking price for the truck and I don't have to fill out any paperwork because everyone's happy. Right?"
        That's awesome, both that the police officer was willing to bend the rules just a little bit and that the guy was decent enough to own up to his own mistakes.
        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
        - IPF

Comment

Working...
        X