This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1st VCR

The 1st VCR I ever bought I bought for $500 at Radio Shack in 1985. Lasted 6 months before it started eating the tape & then I sold it for 50 bucks...lol.

First VCR I had was a Sylvania way back in late 1985 (Christmas present from Mom.) Not sure how much she paid for it (I know it was from a RTO store on 18 month contract though. So I'd say at least $500 if not more.)

Had that one for about 5 or 6 years before it finally gave out, then had a Mitshubishi (sp?) model for about 3 or 4. Then it was a Sharp tv/vcr combo (still have that one - it's in the dining room currently) then a Toshiba tv/vcr/dvd unit (brother has it right now) and right now have his Sylvania 20 inch combo (tv/vcr/dvd) in my bedroom and a Polaroid vcr/dvd combo in the office (it's at least 12 years old by now but still works good.)

Last stand alone VCR I bought was a Panasonic in the late 90s and I think I paid around 100 for it. I think it may still be out in the building but I've not seen it in so long . . .

Yep, been through a few. Still have a bunch of VHS tapes too. Nowhere near as many as I used to.

And don't ask me to count my DVD's . . . my brain just froze thinking about it.
    Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 08-02-2014, 01:06 AM.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

My parents bought a VCR in like 1980 and paid close to $1000, I think it was either Zenith or RCA. Darn thing lasted for like close to 15 years.

Comment

Hm, my friend Eddie bought one of the older type, that had a remote on a long wire and was huge and sort of clunky in 1982 or 3 or thereabouts. The first one I owned I bought in 1988 and was smaller, the remote was not wired to the VCR and lasted for about 4 years. I still have a first generation *metal shell* Sony mini disc MZ1, which actually also recorded. I bought it on base, it was not yet available in the US when I picked it up [Foreign PX catalog, I could also get Nakamishi equipment that was not sold in the US. I almost bought the dual system US/Euro VCR but didn't, then DVD hit. It would have been useful to do PAL and whatever the hell you call the US video system.] Hm, I also have a functional zip drive [though I haven't cranked up that particular computer in about 10 years ...] and if you want to get really ancient, I have a Wang Archiver [and I still have a Sperry Univac 1616 SNAP II submarine ballistics computer hanging out in the barn.]
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Our first VCR was bought when I was around 3 or 4. It still works, although an ex-boyfriend of mine has likened the sound of it rewinding to that of a jet plane
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
            snip [and I still have a Sperry Univac 1616 SNAP II submarine ballistics computer hanging out in the barn.]
            AccountingDrone, Where did you get a submarine ballistics computer?
            I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              Our first VCR was bought when I was around 3 or 4. It still works, although an ex-boyfriend of mine has likened the sound of it rewinding to that of a jet plane
              I had a external video cassette rewinder that sounded similar. Did the job but boy, did it sound like it was going to take off and fly all over the house!!!
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

My parents bought our first VCR when I was 3 because my aunt bought me a VHS of Dumbo, and I didn't have any way of watching it. I'm not sure when my family finally got rid of it, but I'm pretty sure it worked until I was into my 20s.

Comment

I used to have an old (Fischer-Price??) VCR, silver-grey with an 8-track deck as part of it and a little remote attached to a looooong cord.

====================
                  Old, crackly Muzak begins playing for no adequately explored reason as EK reminisces...

The-e fi-rst V-C-R,
                  The-e networks did say:
                  Was for pirating tee-vee,
                  "Oh my!" they would say

"No-o ads will they see,
                  Our stuff they won't buy!
                  We must stop this from hap'ning,
                  Lest our C-E-O doth cry!"

Fa-ast fo-rward thirty years,
                  It's all hap'ning a-gain!
                  People down-load-ing movies -
                  They think it's a sin!

*crickets chirping*

I'll show myself out x.x
                  Last edited by EricKei; 08-05-2014, 02:23 AM.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I got my first VCR around 1985. I remember it was a Sony and had a wired remote.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                    X