This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kagato View Post
    A $500 charge for getting root access on your phone? Sheesh, kind of harsh IMNSHO - but on the other hand, the one time I had to send my phone in, I flashed my phone to the relevant OFW (official firmware) in advance, ended up having no problems.
    That will no longer work with Samsung phones starting with the S4. There's a flag that gets tripped when you root the phone, and there's no way to reset that flag back to "0". But Sprint apparently doesn't seem to care, so none of the user base does either .
    But the paint on me is beginning to dry
    And it's not what I wanted to be
    The weight on me
    Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

I just want to say, of all the annoyances cellphones have brought us, due to rude users not being able to put them down when someone else needs their full attention, or would rather not be party to their loud public conversations and the like... it has brought at least one thing I find hilarious.

Turning "brick" from a mere noun into a verb as well.

i.e. : "I dropped my phone in a toilet and bricked it", "I called my carrier and reported it stolen, so they bricked it"
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Ophbalance View Post
        That will no longer work with Samsung phones starting with the S4. There's a flag that gets tripped when you root the phone, and there's no way to reset that flag back to "0". But Sprint apparently doesn't seem to care, so none of the user base does either .
        Apps exist that can reset the counter back to zero (and a couple of them actually WORK - a friend used one when their phone borked itself, though it is kind of redundant in NZ, since I'm pretty sure that provisions exist here that a company can NOT bar you from gaining root access since the phone is YOUR property, you purchased the phone, not a license to use it. - I know that in the EU they are not allowed to say you can't root your own phone)
        Last edited by Kagato; 08-10-2014, 07:01 PM.
        Violets are blue,
        Roses are red,
        I bequeath to thee...
        A boot to the head >_>

Comment

a company can NOT bar you from gaining root access since the phone is YOUR property, you purchased the phone, not a license to use it.
          These are my feeling exactly. It's not illegal to root your phone here in the U.S. , but it does void your warranty. You won't get away trying to make a claim if you have custom software installed.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
            I just cracked my screen last week. How, you ask?

Tripped and fell while trail running. Cracked my phone and my knee, and landed badly on my bad shoulder. Bit more worried about the latter two. And annoyed with myself over the former. Was hoping to hold out till the 6 is released in a couple months.

But I have insurance, if I choose to use it, and the phone is still functional. Thinking I may just hold out till September.
            If it gives up completely, check ebay. older models tend to go for cheap, and get you through till renewal time.
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
              Apps exist that can reset the counter back to zero (and a couple of them actually WORK - a friend used one when their phone borked itself, though it is kind of redundant in NZ, since I'm pretty sure that provisions exist here that a company can NOT bar you from gaining root access since the phone is YOUR property, you purchased the phone, not a license to use it. - I know that in the EU they are not allowed to say you can't root your own phone)
              I don't know of anyone that has been successful in getting KNOX back to a state of not being tripped. It seems this is an efuse, and there is no software means of setting this back. Once it's done, it cannot be undone. Again, I don't really care, as it's not grounds for refusal to do work for warranty repairs on my carrier.
              But the paint on me is beginning to dry
              And it's not what I wanted to be
              The weight on me
              Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Working...
              X