Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you work in healthcare when you can even tell time??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you work in healthcare when you can even tell time??

I just finished up a nearly 3-week stint at [hospital site].

Second-to-last day there I found myself all by my lonesome because the site manager was on vacation (I was officially covering for him), the assistant manager was at an appointment getting her injured knee looked at, one of the techs had quit and was yet to be replaced, and the other two were off attending to the many tickets we had to deal with.

Enter Johnny Moronic from the medical records department. He handed me a form and asked for "a million of them."

Ok.......a million copies would require 200 cases of paper, or five pallets worth, and over 100 hours of continuous copier operation....something tells me you really want a bit less than that.

He clarified that he wanted 600. That's a much more reasonable number. When informed that would only take about 5 minutes he opted to wait. In the meantime I had him fill out a req form for the copy job. For "department" he wrote "TOS."

Now, I already knew he was from Medical Records because it was an internal form that only the MR department uses that he wanted copies of. There are also a couple of different sub-departments within medical records, but I hadn't heard of "TOS."

He said it meant "top of stairs." I'm really glad I caught this error, because without any context there would've been no way to know who to charge this to later. What he SHOULD have written was "HIM Audit."

After they printed I noted the job completion time and handed him the 600 copies.

"Can I get another 600?" he asked.

"Um....sure." I reply. I put the original back on the scanner and started another 600.

I had scarcely crossed out "600" on the copy req and wrote in "1200" when he said "and another 600 after that."

"Alright," I asked, scribbling out the "1200," "How many are you looking for in total?"

"Enough to fill this box," said Johnny Moronic, holding up an empty case of paper.

"That would be 5000." I told him.

"OK!" said Johnny cheerfully. I reset the copy quantity to reflect a grand total of 5000. Then I informed him that it would take at least 30 minutes to complete and that I would call him when it was finished.

"OK!" and he wandered off.

About that time the assistant manager came back. I was in the middle of filling her in on what she'd missed when JM came wandering back in!

"How's it going? Are they ready?"

Dude, seriously? I just told you it would take 30 minutes! It's barely been 5! Hell, I know how long it takes to walk from the copy center to medical records, so I know pretty much for a fact that you couldn't have waited for more than 90 seconds upon returning to your department. I bet you wandered into the bathroom across the hall from Medical Records to take a leak then came straight back.

I also said I would CALL YOU when they were done! And I KNOW you didn't get a call from us.

"That's ok; I like hanging out here."

What?? No, no you don't. Watching copies come out of the machine is only a few steps above watching paint dry. Moreover you can't just come down here to hang out. It's a small copy center and we are constantly moving in and out to attend to our various duties around the hospital complex. You are in the way, and you are annoying us; it's like you just walked into some random person's office and sat down.

Finally, the 5000 copies finished.

"Can I get a second box of them?" He asked....ie, another 5000.

The assistant manager said yes, but that that was it for the day because we have other copy jobs to do and he can't keep our machine tied up all day (a white lie on her part, but I'd already told her about his magically inflating job total and with her knee killing her she wasn't in the mood for games). She also explicitly told him that it would take another 30-40 minutes and not to come back until we called him.

10 minutes later, guess who came back?

"OKIhavetodeliveratonerto5centralbye!" I said and hurried out the door.

AssMan:
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Sounds like he wanted to get his million copies one way or another... 600 at a time at first (1667 bunches) then 5000 at a time (200 bunches).

Maybe I'm just naive at the red tape of a big organization, but what would you ever need 10,000+ copies of the same form at any one time? I can see copying to have some extra, or to last a bit, but eventually the storage of multiple boxes of the form (not to mention the inevitable forgetting to get more copies when they run out) would outweigh the cost of getting a box (or two) copied up every few weeks.

It almost feels like the guy was just doing busywork as much as anything. ("I watched every copy that came out, just in case the copier messed up one.")

Comment

it wasn't really a form per se, but rather a bar-coded separation sheet they use when batch-scanning paperwork. My question is why can't they just reuse these, but questioning the logic of the healthcare system only causes headaches.

This is the same place that insisted on having everything with their new logo printed in color, even if the only color on the document was the logo itself. They've racked up tens of thousands of dollars in overage charges (they're only contracted for X amount of color copies per month) just to have stuff reprinted with the new logo. This when some areas of the hospital still had the logo from three or four logos ago still displayed!
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
        it wasn't really a form per se, but rather a bar-coded separation sheet they use when batch-scanning paperwork. My question is why can't they just reuse these, but questioning the logic of the healthcare system only causes headaches.

This is the same place that insisted on having everything with their new logo printed in color, even if the only color on the document was the logo itself. They've racked up tens of thousands of dollars in overage charges (they're only contracted for X amount of color copies per month) just to have stuff reprinted with the new logo. This when some areas of the hospital still had the logo from three or four logos ago still displayed!
        Starting to see why the cost of healthcare is so astronomical....

Although, actually I saw that years ago when this one hospital system here used to place help wanted ads with us. EVERY ad for a job had to go through at least SIX people to get their input....multiple times....for as little as two or three words that nobody could make up their minds about. I saw the endless chain of emails for each ad. What a waste of time and resources.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
        X