Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, did the drawer count out correctly?

Good idea leaving the bill out while counting change; some stores have some form of paperweight on the register for this express purpose. I remember a hardware store that had a really big nut for example.

Another common scam is the "ask for different denominations while cashier is counting out the change." ALWAYS stay in control of the count, and if they interrupt, start over. On the third interruption, record scratch the transaction and call the manager over.
    Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

Her drawer was even. There wasn't even a hundred dollar bill in there. My cashier is one of the best, I never have had to doubt her and some douche wasn't going to make new start. Lol
      No ma'am. I'm sorry, I cannot control the temperature. We're in hell, that's why.

Comment

Quoth Plankton78 View Post
        Her drawer was even. There wasn't even a hundred dollar bill in there. My cashier is one of the best, I never have had to doubt her and some douche wasn't going to make new start. Lol
        I've learned that these scumbags will do anything they can to "prove" they gave the bill they said they did. If there's no $100 in the drawer or it comes up even, then the scammer will claim the cashier hid or pocketed the money. Of course, because the manager cannot legally frisk the employee, and it's their word against the cashier's, they often end up winning the battle.

Our store had security cameras aimed at both the cash registers and the customers. The dirty secret was while these cameras were real and even had a live feed on a monitor in the customer's sight, it didn't actually record anything on tape. It was solely used as a deterrent that was more expensive than fake security cameras, but just as useless.

Not that even recorded footage would have made a difference, anyways. After all, the customer would have claimed the cashier still hid the money. Because the SC saw an illusionist do something just like that at the Bellagio in Las Vegas.
        Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
        Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
        Fiancee: What?!
        Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
          Did he seriously expect that to ever work?
          Sounds like he was demanding that the scam work.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
            If there's no $100 in the drawer or it comes up even, then the scammer will claim the cashier hid or pocketed the money.
            This is what I always used to be afraid of. You'd get the scammers who'd just walk away as soon as I mentioned a till check, and I was okay with that. Then you'd get the ones who glare daggers at you and pace back and forth and you just start to panic and think that they're going to accuse you of stealing the money and putting it in your pocket because the till is even.

It never happened though! Phew!

Sometimes though, I think the ones who stay behind and pace are probably not scammers. They just thought you'd made a mistake and short-changed them.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
              It was then that the supervisor (who was nice enough not to write me up) gave me the tip to always leave the bill on the register as you're counting the change, and sometimes even to say the bill's amount.
              i alway leave the bill in my left hand, cause the register is too easy to grab off. Im right handed and my left hand had tendon damage so i tend to count cash with my right anyways

Comment

Makes me glad that debit cards are starting to replace cash on most parts. You can't bitch and moan at a cashier...or in this case, threaten...about getting correct change when you paid with a debit card with no cash back!

I'm glad he got thrown out though. Good job there!

Comment

I'm so glad that debit and credit cards are getting more popular than cash. Hopefully less scammers in the future, but maybe they'll just get smarter. :/
                  No ma'am. I'm sorry, I cannot control the temperature. We're in hell, that's why.

Comment

Quoth Plankton78 View Post
                    T said he gave her a twenty for his fourteen dollar purchase, she gave him correct change. Then he went irriate because he kept insisting he gave her a hundred.
                    Would have been more interesting if your store were one of those that doesn't accept hundred dollar bills.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I am Really looking forward to the part where the idiot tries to come back in.

As I recall, you live in a "smaller" town, so their options are probably limited. (In my home town, if you are banned from the grocery store, the next one would be a 30 mile drive. hehehe)
                      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

So glad that, at the bank, not only do we count any deposit after asking how much should be there, but when we put it into the account, the computer has us list how many of each denomination as another check. Of course, that takes a few extra seconds which probably wouldn't be acceptable at a retail store.

Comment

This brings up an interesting question...

What is the actual procedure for banning someone? I mean, if they don't give you their name, or address, and don't get their picture taken, what's to keep them from coming back? And how do you inform them that they're banned? I mean, if you tell Joe Scumbag to get out of your store, and he's not welcome there anymore, is that sufficient? Does there need to be some sort of restraining order or something?

If the Joe Scumbag in the original post paid with cash, there's no real way (other than asking him) of finding out who he is. A guy like that isn't going to hand over his drivers license. And he's definitely not going to give you any other identifying information -- at least willingly.

I've never had to ban anyone. I haven't worked in food service or retail in years, so I'm just wondering.
                          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                          X