Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never, ever take my wallet out while on the street. I keep my bus pass in a shallow zipper pocket on my purse so I don't have to every dig for cash. Panhandlers are everywhere, but they really zero in on people at the bus stop.

Years ago there used to be a woman who would panhandle downtown in front of a dept. store. She had a big sign with "DISABLED TO WORK" printed on it (grammar was not her thing, I assume). The rest of it said she was blind.

Then one day while on the bus going home, who should I pass by but this lady, strolling off toward a parking lot, car keys dangling from her hand, no white cane or dog or companion.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      I never, ever take my wallet out while on the street. I keep my bus pass in a shallow zipper pocket on my purse so I don't have to every dig for cash. Panhandlers are everywhere, but they really zero in on people at the bus stop.
      That's how it used to be at some of the bus stops in my area....there were a few that almost seemed like a magnet for panhandlers or drunk guys looking to harass people.

Comment

In my neck of the woods the most common begging scams are:

1. "I just need another $5 for an auto part so I can get my car running and my stranded family and I can go home."

2. "I just need a little money for gas because I ran out."

3. "I just need a little money for groceries for my hungry kids."

My replies are always:

1. "Okay, let's go to the auto parts store. You give them the money you have, I'll give them the difference. I keep the receipt."

2. "Okay, show me which car is yours and I'll help you push it up to pump, then I'll go in and buy you a few bucks of gas."

3. "Okay, come on into the store with me and pick out a few things. I'll buy them, and I'll keep the receipt."

So far, I've had exactly one person accept the offer.

I'll occasionally stop them before they get started and tell them that I'll give them a few bucks if they can tell me a story I haven't already heard, and it can't involve a broken car. It doesn't have to be true, just new. Only one guy ever took me up on that, either.

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
          That's how it used to be at some of the bus stops in my area....there were a few that almost seemed like a magnet for panhandlers or drunk guys looking to harass people.
          Makes sense, if you think about it...panhandlers go where there are people hanging around for long periods of time, and where they can't leave (unless they want to miss their bus).

Comment

I do believe the major metro I live near has basically created a city ordinance to stop panhandling throughout the city. That doesn't really stop people.

One of the places a colleague and I like to walk to for lunch is in the path of a rather heavily-trafficked bus stop. I always feel a little uncomfortable walking by it. I just know that anyone, at any time, could walk up and ask me for money.

I'm not greedy. I'm actually a fairly kindhearted person, I think. I just don't like being scammed. And I'm a bit cynical.
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
              I lost a lot of willingness to do handouts the time my husband and a friend of ours got cussed out by someone claiming to be hungry when they gave her food instead of cash.
              Saw this happen just yesterday. Was walking out of Wally World, and this panhandler was arguing with a customer who was offering to take the guy across the street to McDonalds instead of giving him cash.

Panhandler was pushing for cash. His sign sign "Need food."

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
              Wait...she could afford plastic roses with perfume on them, but not food?
              She probably was selling them for someone else and given a cut.

I've had to deal with the gas scam, too. It's very annoying.

I would never give someone my debit card. And here in the US more often than not you have to put your PIN or zip code in.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                If I had the money to help out a person needing gas, I'd go into the station and prepay for their pump. If they threw a fit for my doing it that way, it'd be no gas for them.

I once saw a panhandler asking for a tent, not money. If I hadn't lived so far out of town, I'd have given her one. It was autumn and she wanted shelter for her and her two (well fed, even if she didn't look it) dogs.
                If her dogs looked well fed and she did not, THAT would inspire me to give her something.

Comment

Working...
                X