X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regular SC and new teller

New tellers and regular SCs

There is a man who comes in regularly who, since he went blind, has not bothered to update his driver license, not even to a state ID. This means his ID is well past the point of expired. Now, he is a regular customer, so everyone who has been there for any time knows who he is... they also know to avoid him when possible, not so much because of him, but because his sister who also brings him and is joint on all of his accounts, is extremely particular about how everything is done and will become vicious and mean if things are not done to her liking. (And will get him snipping at people too, so he's not just quietly suffering or anything.)

So man come up to a new teller to cash a check off of his account. Sister has business also and does her own transaction first. New teller asks for ID, of course, and when he hands her the expired ID,she kindly points out that, seeing as it is almost 4 years expired by this point, it is not a valid ID. Sister starts to make a fuss, so new teller gets an idea of how to solve this. She know that in order to cash a check in the man's name, she is supposed to see a valid photo ID. He doesn't have one, but she DID just see a valid photo ID for his sister, who she sees is joint on his account. So, instead of doing a straight check cashing, she deposits the check, then withdraws the cash from the account, noting that sister was there to authorize the withdraw.

SC sister throws a fit. How DARE new teller make the transaction show up on his account? How DARE she not cash the check directly as they asked? New teller attempts to explain her logic, but that is not good enough. The receipt doesn't look like sister expects it to look so it is WRONG. (By the way, checks are cashed off of accounts... even if we don't directly deposit then withdrawal, the account shows that the check was cashed, the statements show the check was cashed (so a straight cashing does not hide it from government programs who ask to see your statements) and if the check turns out to be bad, that account will be withdrawn from that account... so the only thing doing a deposit/withdraw instead does it make the receipt say deposit/withdraw.)

Unfortunately, I was not around to help with that incident (I am one of the few this SC couple is nice to, so I can smooth their feathers without breaking policy), but man and SC sister came back the next week. New teller happened to be the only one not caught up with something. SC sister stood at the front of the line frowning and not coming up to new teller window... so new teller simply smiled and called every customer who came up behind SC sister. And the next teller who became free decided she needed to do a mid-day balance. They only waited about 10 minutes, but that's a HUGE wait in the teller line.

I was manager on duty at the moment. Really should have called the tellers on that. I should have...

Do you suppose the higher-ups would be willing to let your crew keep a copy of any relevant bank policy paperwork handy - that specifies the need for VALID ID, so you could give it to this pair the next time they show up?
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

What does management think about this guy and sister? I think it's very cool to for a bank to bend the rules a little on a 'we know them' basis, but to count on it, especially when new employees will inevitably be involved is ludicrous. Wonder why he won't get new ID.

Comment

His sister is a nasty rude person. That is all.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Do you suppose the higher-ups would be willing to let your crew keep a copy of any relevant bank policy paperwork handy - that specifies the need for VALID ID, so you could give it to this pair the next time they show up?
          Oh, they completely know the policy because it's not the first time this has come up. I've explained to them myself.

Also, I know for a fact that man DOES have a valid photo ID. A retired military ID with no expiration date. The picture doesn't look a whole lot like him, so they've probably gotten flack for that one also, so I would have sympathy about him trying to use the driver license (with a better photo) if they weren't so mean about it. But it is a legal ID despite the bad picture. I would bet anything that he had it on him, but sister would rather throw a fit than have him pull that one out.

Comment

I think the sister just wants to be"right." It does raise a red flag with me that she objects to the transaction being done in a certain way, though. Can't quite put my finger on it.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              I think the sister just wants to be"right." It does raise a red flag with me that she objects to the transaction being done in a certain way, though. Can't quite put my finger on it.
              I think this is it. I've had customers like that. If something isn't done exactly the way they want it, even if the end result is the same, they pitch a fit.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                ... If something isn't done exactly the way they want it, even if the end result is the same, they pitch a fit.
                ORS. Obsessive-Repulsive Syndrome.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  There are some customers who will try to keep transactions from showing up on their account in order to try to hide under the table income from a government assistance program. Too much income would lower or even stop their benefits. That's why I note that even check-cashing does show up on our statements, just not as a deposit.

Not the case for this man or his sister. They aren't on any sort of assistance that would matter if they made extra income. But it definitely does happen that some customers will go out of their way to try to keep money from showing up on their transaction history.

Also, not sure why, but some of the international students will play round-robin with their money, transferring it from one account to a friend's account and vise-versa. They are trying to make it look like they are depositing MORE money into their account than they actually have. I really don't know what that manipulation is for, only that they do it.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post

Also, not sure why, but some of the international students will play round-robin with their money, transferring it from one account to a friend's account and vise-versa. They are trying to make it look like they are depositing MORE money into their account than they actually have. I really don't know what that manipulation is for, only that they do it.
                    I'm not an expert, but that's one of the signs of money laundering. Moving the money between account.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                      I'm not an expert, but that's one of the signs of money laundering. Moving the money between account.
                      Maybe so, but we've sent it up to fraud and filed reports and I haven't seen anything come of it.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
                        Banks in the UK actually encourage this in a roundabout way... but usually between a persons own accounts. Certain accounts get rewards based on how much you pay in over a month (Say £1000) so there is a reason to pay in £500, transfer it somewhere else via faster payment (so no fee) and then back again. Ta da... you've paid in £1000 and get the reward!

I wonder if the students are on some sort of "minimum" income requirement and therefore are using this as a way of boosting their income hoping no one is looking at the out column and noticing that they are paying it straight back out again....
                        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Working...
                        X