Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What IS the procedure for banning an SC, anyway?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mica - good point.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
      See, this I think is the issue.

Unless the manager/owner is there from open to close, and lets everyone who works there know what the banned individual looks like, then they could always show up when that manager isn't there, and hope that people that don't recognize them (which would most likely be most of the employees) aren't there.
      Banning is not going to prevent a troublesome SC from returning any time they want, all it does is provides the store with the power to instantly call the police for trespassing should they show up and make possibly bringing charges against them easier to stick

"They didn't tell me I couldn't come back!"

Yes they did, manager told you on *such and such date*, says so right here in the "ban book".

Think of it as putting someone on probation, it by itself doesn't do anything to KEEP them from breaking the law, just ups the penalties for getting caught doing it which will either provide incentive for minor jerks to keep away from you, and major jerks (notorious for putting their balls ahead of their brains) to earn themselves jail time to physically get the result they can't do for themselves.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth justhere View Post
        There is a store I shop at that used to post copies of the bounced checks they'd received on a wall right by the cashiers so everyone could see them.
        A dry cleaner I used did that. At the tax office we used to display the bogus W-2's and 1099's in the server room. Now we just file a copy and send the original (when available) with a 3949-A.
        As for banning, it is easier as the SC gives us the name, addy and SSN; so we have the option of sending a certified letter with their files. The letter states to the effect that the addressee is no longer welcome.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
          A few grocery stores near here would ban people for bad checks and had short lists of names taped near the register.
          We keep a list inside the front office that lists the names of people and companies that we don't take checks from. Also any email communications sent out from Corporate alerting stores of certain groups/rings/gangs to watch out for as well.

Years ago at the Phillips Avenue store, we kept binders of photos of banned persons, listing name, DOB, last known address ID or License # and date of offense under each photo. If anyone suspected a banned person of sneaking back in, they simply came to the office and browsed through the "Family Albums."

I think we had at least a dozen that were thrown away when the store closed back in '99.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

We had one kid at the mart who was banned by loss prevention

Next day I see him coming in the door,

"Excuse me, I've been asked not to let you back in"

Cue his mother with, "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE NOW?!"

He tried to come back several times, would argue, one time had his two mates argue with the store manager (getting themselves banned in the process too)

One stage I saw him from 20m away, made I contact, and pointed to the door. He left.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              Banning is not going to prevent a troublesome SC from returning any time they want, all it does is provides the store with the power to instantly call the police for trespassing should they show up and make possibly bringing charges against them easier to stick

True......I know some of our banned library customers have tried that, although it mostly seems to happen with the main library and a few branches on the other side of town.

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                He tried to come back several times, would argue, one time had his two mates argue with the store manager (getting themselves banned in the process too)

One stage I saw him from 20m away, made I contact, and pointed to the door. He left.
                There was one memorable "lady" who was a habitual shoplifter and, even though we had her pic in the Family Album, would still come back in and steal from us.

It was to the point after a bit that management had trespassing papers taken out on her - meaning if she set foot on the property of the shopping center, she could be arrested.

But still she'd come in, snatch up something and be out the door before the MOD could catch her. One time, a week before Thanksgiving, she squeezed past an open register lane with a ham tucked in her sweatpants and got out the door before the MOD could catch her.

A few months after that, we noticed she'd stopped running in. Heard through the grapevine she'd finally been arrested and was pulling time.

The offense? Caught in a parked car across the street from the federal courthouse smoking crack!
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

In the case of my store, we take out a trespass order on the banner which bars then from our store, or any other store in the chain, for 99 years.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                    Years ago at the Phillips Avenue store, we kept binders of photos of banned persons, listing name, DOB, last known address ID or License # and date of offense under each photo.
                    I hope the albums were in alphabetical order!
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

There's a folder in the office out back with photos of offenders taken from the security cameras, plus a description of their car. So far, there is just two customers on the banlist; most SCs back down before it gets to that stage. Both happened fairly recently, too. I heard from a colleague that the Bitch Daughter tried to come back again, but her car was spotted on the forecourt and her pump not authorised. She obviously realised she was pushing her luck, cuz she drove off without coming inside. If she had, and refused to leave, we could call the police.
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

I don't think it's possible. There was an article about how Disney banned this one guy for life for sneaking over to the old River Country as well as Discovery Island at night and filming there under the cover of night. This is next to impossible to enforce, unless their fingerprint ticket system identifies these people. Maybe businesses will all adopt technology like this eventually.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                          I hope the albums were in alphabetical order!
                          IIRC, the Family Albums were by year. The store opened in the early 70s and closed in 1999, so you can imagine how many books there were to clear out.

Comment

One of the things about working in a hotel is that you do get customer information in a lot of cases, and we can flag their name in our system so if they try to book the won't be able to.

Usually it's first a ban, then a trespass citation by the police, then an arrest after that. Of course, some are going to slip by (they may have a friend book a room for them and hand them the key, and then avoid the staff while they are there), but if they do get busted the consequences go up.

Recently, Hubby's supervisor was having a bad night and when he caught some people lighting fireworks off at a port park, instead of a warning he flat out had them banned from all port property. That means the bus station, the train station, the ferry terminal (and the businesses therein), the airport, several parks, the marina (an all the businesses around the marina)...it's a lot of sites. But as Hubs explained it, the people can probably still go there all they want as long as they don't cause a fuss and someone discovers they are banned. It's not like their pic is posted up on a wall or anything. If they did do something that gave the port a reason to look them up, though, then they're looking at criminal trespass charges, so the consequences of causing trouble have gotten significantly higher.
                            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                              One time, a week before Thanksgiving, she squeezed past an open register lane with a ham tucked in her sweatpants and got out the door before the MOD could catch her.
                              Laughing out loud here, and wondering, who'd eat food that was stuffed down someone's pants? Even if it was wrapped in plastic?

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                                Laughing out loud here, and wondering, who'd eat food that was stuffed down someone's pants? Even if it was wrapped in plastic?
                                You are assuming she told her guests how she obtained the ham...
                                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                                X