This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC ruins CW's day

So we were swamped pretty early yesterday. We lost some staff at the front desk so I will be heading back down there and yesterday was my first day. A large group had a meeting that started at noon with registration at 11, and many of them tried to check in early. We had two weddings over the weekend so...yeah, all the guest who partied hard weren't in a hurry to check out. Fortunately, most guests were fine with getting their luggage checked and doing the pre-check-in before going to their meeting.

Most.

This one guest...I did not catch all the conversation, but what I gleaned was that:

1) She wanted to check-in early but her room was not ready.
    2) She wanted to get a different room type that was ready, and was not getting that (a) we were sold out of other room types and (b) nothing was ready in the entire hotel at that point.
    3) She was a travel agent and was trying to use that to get into her room earlier, and was not understanding that travel agent status means nothing when there is nothing available at the time.

She was just yelling and talking over CW. Bossman was actually watching from nearby but it didn't get to the point where he needed to intervene (he told CW later that she did a good job handling the SC).

I did pick up a few tidbits:

SC: "I mean, I have so many things, I can't just leave them in the car!"
    CW: "Well, we can certainly hold on to them for you. We can even deliver them to the room when it's ready!"
    SC: "No! Some of these need refrigerated!"
    CW: "We can put them in our fridge here. That's no problem."
    SC: "No! They need to go to the room!"
    CW: "We will deliver them to the room when it is clean."
    SC: "No!"
    CW: "Uh..."

Eventually, she managed to convince SC to at least have us take the stuff that needed refrigeration.

SC: "My husband will need a key to the room. No one else but my husband can have a key."
    CW: "Certainly. May I have your husband's name so we can issue him a key when he arrives?"
    SC: "No!"

Just...every time the SC brought something up and we offered a solution, her answer was just "No!"

SC: "What is your name?"
    CW: "It's [CW]."
    SC: "Look, I work in the industry, I know things happen. You don't have to talk down to me."
    CW: "I'm very sorry. I just felt that there was some miscommunication and you weren't understanding..."
    SC: "No, just stop talking. I don't want to hear it!"
    CW: "I'm very sorr..."
    SC: "STOP! I'm walking away now."

SC then came up to me and asked where the restroom was.

We notified Front Desk Manager, who spoke with SC later when she returned to get her key. I don't know what was said, but FDM said she was ashamed SC shared her ethnicity because of how SC acted.

So yeah, I told CW I would back her up if any complaints came of it (she was nothing but polite to SC), but since both FDM and Bossman are not impressed with SC (and Bossman even watched at least part of the interaction), CW should be in the clear if her name gets attached to the complaint.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

You would think a travel agent would understand these things. And would _not_ try and abuse that status to get something.

Hope she ends up on your banned and "do not take commissions from" list soon!

Comment

Ugh. The SCs who respond to every possible compromise or solution with "No!" irritates me to no end. Especially in cases like these where you didn't even do anything wrong, and are trying your best to satisfy the customer, but they reject every attempt and then wonder why they're being so "mistreated."

I would even doubt she is a travel agent. Any travel agent would know that checking in anytime before noon is too early, and most hotels will simply hold onto your belongings and place them in your room when it's ready. It's a very nice courtesy that I've always appreciated in hotels at times when I can't control when I arrive and would otherwise need to either hold onto my baggage or wait in the lobby until my room is ready.
      Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
      Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
      Fiancee: What?!
      Me: Nevermind.

Comment

I'd be trying to figure out which agency she works for and making a couple of phone calls.
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

So... who's talking down to who exactly? Sounds like it's the SC, not your coworker! She also sounds like a child. A spoiled, bratty child...

Comment

How the hell did she expect your CW to hold the key for her husband if she wouldn't give her his name??? "OK, ma'am, I'll just give that key to the first random man I see."

Duhhhh....
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I am betting she is not a travel agent. She was hoping for Professional Courtesy. Got to give it to get it.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I may be crazy, but I LOVE customers who do that.

SC: "I'm a Travel Agent, so I know how this works!"
                Me: "Obviously you don't, or you wouldn't be standing here yelling at me. What agency do you work for? What is their direct number? I'm sure your manager will have a few choice words to say about how his employee is representing his company."

Please note, I'm slightly crazy, and my manager will back me up 100% when I call someone on their behavior. Your results may vary.

Comment

"I'm a travel agent!"
                  "Good for you. You don't have to be a travel agent to understand we have zero rooms ready right now. Your options are to keep your things with you or check them with us and we'll deliver to your room when it's ready."
                  "I'm walking away now!!!"
                  "Please do. Next?"
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Working...
                  X