This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupons - A Life Or Death Situation

At least they are to this SC. XD Basically, we were accepting petrol coupons which if you spent £50 in store, you got a coupon entitling you to 10p off per litre of fuel at the petrol station. Sweet deal, right? Well, only if you have the common sense to show up with your coupon within the two weeks the coupon is in date. This SC didn't.

Bitchy, Bratty Thief #2

Remember BBT? Well, it seems that her method isn't exclusive to her. We had another SC who thought the same way. BBT2 turned up with a petrol coupon which was out of date. I checked the date, and told BBT2 that I couldn't accept it. She'd been relatively pleasant beforehand, but after I told her this she made a lightning change into an SC.

BBT2: What? Why can't you accept it?
    Me: I'm very sorry, but it's out of date.
    BBT2: That doesn't matter, you've taken out of date coupons before.

Um, no we haven't. The rules are quite clear on this; we are not allowed, under any circumstances, to accept an out of date coupon. Reason being, we won't get the money back. So any cashier who's not new (newbies get allowed one or two mistakes when they first join) who accepts one will get a bollocking, and if it keeps happening, they could get a discliplinary. Accepting out of date coupons is Serious Business.

I try to explain all this to BBT2 but she's not having any of it. "I want to see a manager!" she shrieks.

As it happens, the manager isn't working today, but Martin the second in command is. He's not here at the moment, but will be back in a few minutes as he went over to get sand so I explain this to BBT2. She mutters and then says, "Well, if he doesn't let me use my coupon, I'm just going to drive off!"

I don't reply to this, cuz it's stupid. While my colleague Summer serves customers, and BBT2 goes to wait by the magazines, I go and collect some glove packets to cover what I'm about to do. Since the actions of BBT, Martin came up with a contingency plan to try and stop SCs from threatening drive out if they don't get their own way. Using the menial task of glove replenishment to cover my actions, I go to BBT2's car and take down her registration number, a brief description of her car, and her tax disc number. I see Martin coming over with the sand and go to meet him.

I tell Martin all about BBT2 and he says he'll deal with her. He's a bit disappointed that he missed the first BBT, I think. XD Anyway, we come to the kiosk and get behind the tills; BBT2 comes right over and immediately launches into her grieviances. Martin tells her that we can't accept an out of date coupon, she gets the hump and declares, "If you don't take my coupon, I'm going to drive off!"

Martin replies, calling her bluff, "Well, you can if you want, but we have a record of your vehicle so you won't get far."

A few moments pass while BBT2 digests this, then she comes up with, "You can't call the police on me! I'm not a thief, I just want to use my coupon, which I'm entitled to do!"

Martin replies, "If you drive off, you will be a thief. And we can't accept an out of date coupon, and you have to pay before you go or else we will call the police."

BBT2 eventually decides to pay and slams down her cash venomously. "Well," she says, "You just lost a customer cuz I'm never coming back!"

When she leaves, Martin turns to me and Summer. "She was right about one thing," he says.

"What?" I ask.

"She's not coming back," he replies. "Cuz she's banned."
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Awesome

SC gets served crow. Is delicious.
    There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Comment

It's funny in a way, cuz we only banned a customer the other week, and now we have another on the banlist. XD Honestly, we don't go around banning people and it's quite a rare occurance, and now we have two banned customers.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

I don't understand why customers bitch because we don't take expired coupons. Isn't that true with ALL retailers? Coupons have expiry dates on them for a REASON.

There is NO reason to bitch and moan. It's got a date on it, it is YOUR responsibility, as a customer, to make sure you use it while it's in date.

When I worked at Land of Quid, we also had coupons. After hearing all of the horror stories about customers pitching a fit over not being able to use expired coupons, I braced myself when I had customers hand me their expired coupons! But, surprisingly, no one ever had a go at me. Most said, "Aww that's too bad" and some even apologised for not reading the date O_0 I wish ALL customers were like that!

I'm glad Martin has a backbone. Spineless managers are probably the reason why they think they can still use expired coupons - because the manager let them use it. I actually think anyone training to be in management should sit some sort of test... like "The back-bone test." If they fail, they can't get promoted.

Comment

I'm quite lucky where I work, cuz both managers at the petrol station don't take any crap from SCs and they have our backs if an SC gets abusive.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
            I don't understand why customers bitch because we don't take expired coupons. Isn't that true with ALL retailers?
            Sadly, no. There are companies out there that screw up the WHOLE THING by allowing it. I'm sorry.

Comment

Dillons in KS used to accept them and double them up to a $1.

Cub foods, Ultra, Town and Country and Strack Van til in the chicagoland area all took expired coupons for a long time. Not sure if they still do but those are the ones I have shopped that took expired coupons. Dillons was only 14 days. The others were up to 30 days.

And overseas on the military bases they accept expired coupons up to 6 months.

Comment

Isn't it cute when they think they can change the law because they disagree with it? ("You can't call the police on me! I'm not a thief, I just want to use my coupon, which I'm entitled to do!")

No, wait. I don't mean "cute."

I mean "disgusting."
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Firecrackers Not Included View Post
                  Sadly, no. There are companies out there that screw up the WHOLE THING by allowing it. I'm sorry.
                  That sucks. Expired coupons are well, expired. It just gets on my nerves how some companies just bend the rules. It makes SC's.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                    I don't understand why customers bitch because we don't take expired coupons. Isn't that true with ALL retailers? Coupons have expiry dates on them for a REASON.

There is NO reason to bitch and moan. It's got a date on it, it is YOUR responsibility, as a customer, to make sure you use it while it's in date.

As I have posted many many times before my red roof pizza company will )with a little complaining from the SC) just take the coupon and give the SC the discount. IF we do not have a current code or button there are alternative ways to make the order total go down.

The oldest one I remember was early in my time at red roof pizza back about 8 years ago. A lady "claimed" to have a coupon/discount card that (fuzzy memory here) entitled her to like a 75% discount off. The AM had been with the company for more than a few years and had NO clue about this. HE asked her to make a photocopy of the card and had the driver collect the copy when they delivered.

It turns out the card was from the late 1980's

The weirdest one I encountered was a little earlier than the above.

A customer called in from the Frozen Ground Hotel claiming he had a coupon that was for 2 large any way you want pizzas, a bunch of our wings and 2 breadsticks for the price of $19.95.

GREAT deal IF it were true. THe MOD and the customer go round and round and the MOD decides to give the guy this "deal" BUT insists he surrender the coupon.

I get the delivery. The guy hands me an internet printout showing the above deal for the price of 19.95.

I immediately notice something wrong with 2 things

1. Notice that I DID NOT put an American dollar sign in front of the price (which will give you a clue to #2) But had another monitary symbol.

2, I notice the web address that was on the footer of the printout was indeed from my Red Roof Pizza company BUT it had a .UK at the end

It turns out he was visiting from the UK and assumed the same special applied (maybe it did) BUT he forgot the difference in monitary systems ie. American dollars vs, British pounds. The price was in British pounds

We still gave him the price but I played with the MOD a bit when I got back to the store by asking him what was wrong with the printed web page. YES it did take him a few minutes to realize the "problem".
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post

In Florida, businesses take them all the time as Florida has the worst record of horrible and abusive customers. Explaining to these people about expired dates and other rules is an utter waste of time, since these people know they're wrong, yet know the spineless managers are going to give in anyway. Many businesses don't want the bad publicity for standing up to these people either.

Comment

It's lucky, in a way, that the company I work for is savvy about business and knows that retaining scamming customers is not a good deal. Let them go to our competitors and lose THEM money.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Racket Man - Back at DaddyJim's, the SM and DM actually loved it when customers would bring in expired coupons, because, in their words, it meant that the customer using them was a long-time, loyal custy. Naturally, 90% of the time or better, the person had a coupon from 8+ years ago simply because that was the last time they had placed an order at all...
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            Racket Man - Back at DaddyJim's, the SM and DM actually loved it when customers would bring in expired coupons, because, in their words, it meant that the customer using them was a long-time, loyal custy. Naturally, 90% of the time or better, the person had a coupon from 8+ years ago simply because that was the last time they had placed an order at all...
                            Yeah love the "business logic" .

There was a late night offer we ran for like 6 months one time.

After the offer ended we still had people who insisted, 2 years AFTER the offer ended, that they got said special "just last week" or had a flyer/box topper they "got just last week".

SORRY no special for you. HA HA
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                            X