This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We were broken in to and robbed last night :( *language*

I don't know the full details and I'm going on vacation tomorrow afternoon. I will keep you guys updated though, when I go back to work on the 27th August.

Anyway, at around 6:30pm, I got a phone call from an employee saying that something had happened at work, was there any chance of me doing the 3 till 7 shift tomorrow afternoon? I was really busy at the time and there were people around me talking, so I couldn't really talk. But I told him no, sorry, I definitely couldn't because of going on holiday tomorrow afternoon. He told me no worries, and we hung up.

I wish I'd asked what was up, because I just had a bad feeling that something really bad had happened. So I text one of the supervisors. What I heard next floored me.

Yeah... we got broken in to. They took all of the menswear. Nothing else. £15,000's worth of stock was taken. Apparently they got in by knocking down one of the walls on the outside, and also got in by smashing the glass windows in the office/stockroom. This was last night when no one was in.

Not surprisingly, the supervisor and staff are scared. They want as many people there tomorrow night to cover closing with them in case they come back for more. Sick fucking bastards. Sorry for the language but I am just so angry and upset.

I love this job. It has its downsides, but it's a job. But it's also the best job I've ever had. We're target based. We try SO hard to achieve good sales. We love what we do, we love selling, and we love it when we achieve our targets. And then some nasty little fuckers decide they want to rob us. £15,000! I just... I'm pretty sure we're insured (we'd be fools not to be) but still... It's still a massive shock.

But that's basically all I know. We're a concession shop within a garden centre and it's open plan so they'd have been able to have the full run of the garden centre as well. But then again, all they took was menswear. Why? I have so many questions.

But anyway, as I said, I guess I'll have more answers when I go back to work.

If you sold pricey, name-brand menswear (Brooks Bros and the like), it would make more sense. From your description, it doesn't sound like it, tho. Maybe...

- They had hidden some stolen small valuables in the pockets or something shortly before closing?

- They were expecting to have access to something else, such as jewelry, and just grabbed the clothing because "it was there"? I suspect that this may have been the case -- you don't go knocking down a wall or two just to lift something cheap...

I'm glad nobody was in the shop at the time! O_O
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      If you sold pricey, name-brand menswear (Brooks Bros and the like), it would make more sense. From your description, it doesn't sound like it, tho. Maybe...

- They had hidden some stolen small valuables in the pockets or something shortly before closing?

- They were expecting to have access to something else, such as jewelry, and just grabbed the clothing because "it was there"? I suspect that this may have been the case -- you don't go knocking down a wall or two just to lift something cheap...

I'm glad nobody was in the shop at the time! O_O
      We sell cashmere jumpers that weren't stolen (as far as I know anyway) and the priciest things we sell are those and wax jackets. Everything else is just averagely priced. It's not cheap, but it's not expensive.

I just don't get why they'd take the menswear. I'd have taken the cashmere (if I was a sick fucker that is). I guess in order to get into a burglar's head, you have to be a burglar!

Comment

I'd be keeping an eye on ebay and the local flea markets if I were the cops...

Comment

Wax jackets?
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            Wax jackets?
            I'm guessing these are a British thing.

From Wikipedia: "A Waxed jacket is a type of hip-length raincoat made from waxed cotton cloth, iconic of British country life"

Comment

Thanks.

Is your avatar a cat you know? If so, please give him/her an extra snuggle from me.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

It's coming to the end of car boot season. I wouldn't be surprised if the lot doesn't get parcelled out among them and sold cheaply at rural car boots. They could easily explain having a certain amount by saying they bought up stock from a business closing down (which, let's be honest, has been happening quite a bit).

Locally we've had a rash of bike thefts; the police believe they're being either stolen to order or driven across a county line or two and being sold at car boots. No way to track them unless they've been security marked, and even then it's only if a cop notices it. Unlikely, given cuts to the Force's budget; they can't afford to send officers to randomly stroll around car boots on the off-chance they'll find something that's been nicked.
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Damn!

Back when I got my very first job, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away at a Sonic, we had similar happen...I pulled up to work & the glass door the employees go in & out of had been smashed, whoever it was got away with the safe, how they did no one knows b/c the safe was underneath the manager's desk. The desk was tore up & everything, the owner suspected it was an inside job, but who knows

Glad everyone's ok, stuff can be replaced, people can't
                  "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Working...
                  X