Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Real men don't need no stinkin' flowers!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real men don't need no stinkin' flowers!

I just booked a floral consultation for my wedding with a florist near our venue.

They never even asked my name! They asked for the bride's first and last name and when the appointment should be, and even though *I* was talking to them, they never bothered with my info.

I guess they figure that grooms don't give a shit about flowers? Gotta love gender stereotypes. Not that I was offended; I thought it was amusing.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Should have told them "I AM the bride!" then burst into noisy weeping if they showed any disbelief.

Seriously though, when I worked as a florist, all wedding consultations were with the bride, and (or maybe because) usually they were incredibly picky about the flowers. Worst ones were those that had no idea what kids of flowers they wanted, hadn't yet picked out colors for their wedding yet wanted a detailed breakdown of what would be in the bouquets. Or the ones that would pick the fanciest most elaborate bouquets in the book then be shocked and dismayed that they were so expensive. Yea, well, when you've got a cascading waterfall of orchids and roses it's gonna cost you a few hundred dollars for JUST the bridal bouquet. Which of course leads to the question of "well, can't you do something like it for $50?" Sure, but you won't be happy with the result, carnations and daisy mums just don't look as good in a cascade.
    Last edited by Kittish; 08-21-2014, 07:49 PM.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

It's not just floral, Dave. It's pretty much everything except for the tuxedos. At least it was when I got married 18 years ago. The only things that had both our names on it were the registry, the hotel for the honeymoon, and the license.

I think the prevaling concept is that the bride is in change of the wedding and that the groom is pretty much along for the ride. This may not be accurate, but it's been beaten into everyone's head through advertising, popular media, etc...
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I'm always surprised at how many bookings for weddings and engagement parties just have one name on it. That said, I was particularly surprised at one booking that only had the groom's name. Now that is unusual!
        "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
          I'm always surprised at how many bookings for weddings and engagement parties just have one name on it. That said, I was particularly surprised at one booking that only had the groom's name. Now that is unusual!
          Depends on how many grooms there are.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Depends on how many grooms there are.
            Very true, but unfortunately not legal in my country.
            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
              Very true, but unfortunately not legal in my country.
              To clarify, polygamy itself is legal, but bigamy itself is not. Polygamous marriages overseas are recognised by the welfare agency if all parties are living in the country (ie one man with his two wives), although this is only to a point.

For the record, same-sex marriage is still not legal over here, however, same-sex relationships are treated as de facto by the welfare agency after a period of time. (ie they can receive the "couples" rate for certain payments, which is usually higher than a singles payment)
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                It's not just floral, Dave. It's pretty much everything except for the tuxedos. At least it was when I got married 18 years ago.
                Thus far, aside from the obvious things like the dresses, we've been doing everything together. I guess we're bucking the pattern
                "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  Thus far, aside from the obvious things like the dresses, we've been doing everything together. I guess we're bucking the pattern
                  Our newbie Produce Manager is going through similar w/his upcoming wedding (set for September w/honeymoon in Canada for 2 weeks to visit bride's family.)

Haven't head him talk about the flowers yet but they did have a heck of a time getting a photographer booked.

Short version: first one bailed out on them after they thought everything was set, 2nd one they thought they had booked but b/c her husband had already made plans for that weekend she too had to bail so they had to scramble to find yet another one.

They're on the 3rd one now - hopefully the 3rd time's the charm.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

We didn't have to rebook the photographer, but we did have to find a new hall for the reception. IRS foreclosed on our original one... Thankfully before the invites had been printed.

We also had to find a new officiant about a week and a half before the wedding. I won't go into that nightmare. I'm still pissed at her. Thankfully we have awesome friends.
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                      2nd one they thought they had booked but b/c her husband had already made plans for that weekend she too had to bail so they had to scramble to find yet another one.
                      Definite lack of professionalism. She needs to lay down the law with her husband - if he makes plans that will leave her unavailable, he needs to TELL HER so that if a client wants her that day she can let them know "Sorry, I'm already booked for that day". If he doesn't tell her, and as a result she books a client for that day, HE needs to change HIS plans. A photographer who backs out after making a booking is going to get a bad reputation, and it will hurt her business.

As for the OP, ever read one of the lists why it's great to be a man? One item is invariably "Wedding plans take care of themselves".
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post

As for the OP, ever read one of the lists why it's great to be a man? One item is invariably "Wedding plans take care of themselves".
                        This is one of the things a friend of mine was VERY happy about (He's getting married in November)
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                        X