This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• food-agression in dogs

Anyone have suggestions on how to get rid of (or at least reduce) food aggression in dogs? To briefly explain the situation - my daughter's Chihuahua-terrier mix can be VERY food-aggressive, and this morning she bit me when I tried to take a chocolate bar wrapper away from her. My daughter did have her enrolled in an obedience class at the vet, but I don't know if this particular issue was addressed, and I don't know if my mom has ever mentioned it.

I should probably also mention that we don't know much about her background before we got her - she was running loose on the streets, the vet said she was about a year old, and she seems to be more afraid of males. (although she's gotten better about that)

The internet has a LOT of good information on training, and you can pick and choose your techniques; if one doesn't seem to work, try another. Maybe try searching for stories of people who had similar issues.

I think dogs that never got enough to eat, or were raised with other dogs, sometimes display this issue. They're afraid that they're not going to get any more food and are trying to protect it. Or with objects, that is theirs and you are taking away their thing. My rescue dog will take a lot of messing around with her food and toys, but push her too far and enough is enough; she will growl.

Perhaps get her food ready while she is in another room, then let her out to eat her food. Wait until she's done and remove the bowl, and perhaps that will show her that you GIVE her food, you wont take it.

With the items, maybe try distracting her with something else; a call, treat, toy, etc. so you can get the undesirable item away from her.

You could also set-up a little area, like a crate, with her stuff that is her space only and that she can go to feel safe, knowing she wont be bothered there.

She might take a lot of patience; you're right, you don't know what kind of life she had before you got her.

P.S. I'm not an expert, I just read a lot about dogs!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

The method my favourite dog-training book recommends (I haven't had to try it):
      (Note: if the dog attempts to bite you while you're doing this, spring for a vet/vet tech/professional trainer to do the initial training.)

Provide mundane food. (Ideally, make the dog sit/stay or some other well-known command, then give a 'yes you may have the food' command. Even if the dog doesn't know the latter command yet.)

Get a treat. Something the dog absolutely adores.
      Approach dog.

Let dog know you have treat - let him/her smell it, see it.
      Command dog to sit/stay again.

Remove mundane food with off hand. (Watch the dog carefully, stop if you're at risk of being bitten.)
      If dog breaks the sit/stay, reinforce the sit/stay command.

Put treat in with mundane food.

Replace mundane food, release the dog from the sit/stay. Provide a 'yes you may have the food' command.

Do this every meal.

Also do it sometimes when the dog is playing with a toy.

Command the dog to drop the toy ('Drop it' is a common command, but make sure it's not similar-sounding to something else he knows).
      If the dog does anything even vaguely like dropping the toy, or not paying attention to the toy, let the dog have the treat.
      The dog will probably drop the toy while getting the treat. Remove the toy when you can.
      Reward the dog with lots of yummy attention.
      Eventually give the dog back his toy.

Let the dog know that when you take something from him, you're going to give him attention PLUS something better.
      Eventually he'll be happy to just be a Good Dog and get the attention. At this point you can stop doing it as often - but keep him trained to both let you approach the food, and to accept a 'drop it' command.

NOTE NOTE NOTE:
      I am not an expert. If at ANY point things are not working out right, OR you feel you're at risk of being bitten, consult with an expert.
      If a child or elderly or otherwise frail person is involved and your family isn't comfortable with the risk, consult with an expert.
      Etc etc etc, #standarddisclaimersapply.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Consult with a professional. Your local humane society may be able to help get you in touch with one for relatively cheap. In the meantime, the trade game may help you. When the dog has something he shouldn't, grab a really tasty treat and offer it to him. He'll have to drop whatever he has to eat the goodie. Make sure you have possession of the forbidden thing before he gets the treat. If he knows he gets something good for giving up what he wants, the more likely he is to give up something in the future. Always, ALWAYS pay your dog when he gives up something he's reluctant to.
        I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

This is the reason we would always feed the cat first... As my old dog used to have muscle problems, and his treatment increased his appetite. Feed him first, and the cat goes for the food....

Fast forward to my parents' new puppy, she licks the cat as he eats her food

Comment

Working...
          X