This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIAR! You are a liar! LIAAAAAAAAR!

Nothing better than an MLT - a mutton, lettuce and tomato - when the mutton is nice and lean...

Anyway - had been living in an apartment above a storefront for about 2 years. Unfortunately my business had not been doing well and I was consistently behind with my rent. So at the beginning of April I got my walking papers. Be out by the end of the month. Fine.

Got a new place (more space, hardwood floors, utilities included in the rent - much better overall except maybe the parking) - after hiring a professional cleaning company to do an apartment cleanout, I was expecting to get most of my security deposit back - Around $1300. Fortunately our new apartment only needed half of the security deposit so I wasn't in a huge rush to get the money back. Me and the new roommate had the rent and deposit covered between the two of us.

After texting back and forth with the property management guy for a MONTH - he finally gets back to me and says I'm not getting anything back because the carpet needed to be replaced, there's scratches all over the walls from moving furniture, one room smells like cigarette smoke, etc.

Well, that cheesed me off good.

I live in NJ - and our renter's laws are some of the most stringent in the country: in favor of the renter. For example, I know one part says something to the effect that if a renter is at a property for 2 years they CAN'T be charged for carpeting. 1 1/2 years 25% of the carpeting cost can be taken out of their deposit, 1 year 50%, etc.

So I talk to the property lawyer in my business networking group. He sends a nasty letter to the property management place.

Here's the kicker - the guy who owns my old building is actually a scientist who is one of the owners of a pretty big soil/material testing lab. He has a few properties for additional income but if the guy makes less than a quarter million dollars a year at the testing place I'd be shocked. Point is - the guy doesn't need to take my $1300. He makes so much money, I'd swear he's just trying to take mine to get his jollies out of stealing from a poor person.

So it turns out my lawyer's lawyer dick is bigger than his lawyer's lawyer dick because after a week or so they sent a check for a little over $1000. Claimed I hadn't vacated until May 9th and they were withholding $300 for that. Bullshit, but whatever - I was happy with the grand. I KNEW they were lying and that I should have gotten most of my deposit back. It's partially my fault for not taking before and after photos of the place, plus double checking after the cleaning people left. (they were supposed to remove a folding table and 2 bookcases and didn't)

Still, I was thrilled to have the money and get to thumb my nose at the lying liars who lie. I sorely want to text the property management guy back with something like "nyah nyah - got my money, bitch!" - but calmer heads have prevailed. Plus I could see these jerkoffs claiming I was harrassing them if I did that, so I'll behave.

If they don't respond by 30 days your entitled to 200% of your full deposit.

Comment

Agreed

They have to send you a written letter in 30 days or less detailing why they are withholding security deposit. And they have to be able to provide proof in a court of law.

The law is not there to be a bonaza, its meant to punish shady landlords so that they act accordingly. YOU may not need the 300. But what about the next guy he does this to? If you got the time, I would pay the 20 and file small claims and go sue his butt for the 300 + the extra security deposit. Maybe he will learn to be more honest.

Comment

At this point my time would be better spent concentrating on expanding my business instead of going to court over $300.

Although if I spot a new tenant at the old apartment by chance, it might be worth popping by for a quick visit to let them know who they're renting from.

Also: I don't necessarily know it was the scientist guy anyway. He has a woman who is in charge of receiving the rent checks and communicating with the property management company when repairs need to be done. I actually don't know if it was the woman who gets the checks, the guy who runs the property management company, or the scientist. Or any combination. It could very well be the scientist guy is oblivious to anything going on with his buildings and its one or more of his employees trying to hold onto my deposit to go to Aruba or to use it to pay for materials.

I have won the battle. But I might not be able to win the war. Discretion is the better part of valor. And don't take any wooden nickels. And don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger.
        Last edited by An Haddock; 08-24-2014, 06:38 AM.

Comment

And don't mess around with Jim! (anyone get this reference?)

Comment

I wouldn't tug on Superman's cape, myself, Teefies
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Or spit into the wind.
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Or pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

CustomersSuck.com: Where no reference is too obscure ^_^
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                    At this point my time would be better spent concentrating on expanding my business instead of going to court over $300.
                    Don't you mean 1300?

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                      Don't you mean 1300?
                      No, his lawyer's initial dick wave got a $1000 out of them (one presumes they thought the whole mess would go uncontested). So yea, the hassle required to get the other $300 probably isn't worth it, which is what they are surely counting on.

I'm lucky-the last time I didn't get a full deposit back was more than justified. A bunch of us lived together during college, and when we moved out we cleaned up at kind of the last moment. This left us with a MASSIVE (30-ish) pile of big green trash bags on the curb (so far so good). The locals apparently tore into the bags and left trash everywhere. The landlord ended up fined and took said fine out of our deposit. Can't blame him on that - it wasn't really our fault, but it sure as heck wasn't his!
                      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

He's lucky he's operating in NJ and not Florida. Last time I knew the specifics of Florida law*, a landlord has only *ten* days to notify the former tenant in writing how much of the deposit they're withholding and why. If they don't, they owe the former tenant the entire deposit plus interest, regardless of any damage done by the tenant. I got one deposit back that I shouldn't have gotten back by taking advantage of that little law.

*It's been more than a few years since I was that familiar with Florida landlord/tenant laws, so this might be outdated.
                        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
                          No, his lawyer's initial dick wave got a $1000 out of them (one presumes they thought the whole mess would go uncontested). So yea, the hassle required to get the other $300 probably isn't worth it, which is what they are surely counting on.
                          Original deposit 1300
                          Landlord didn't respond in 30 days
                          Required deposit return 2600
                          Landlord does prove 300 worth of damage
                          Outstanding balance from landlord 1300

Comment

Actually since the amount owed back since he was late would be 2600. They got 1k already. So the only remainder is 1600.
                            Thats 2 months rent here so I would probably go for it. I doubt he can prove his allegations. The fact that he folded super fast on the first half of the deposit that he intended to keep already proves some level of shadyness.

And you can sue for court costs and legal fees associated with fighting to get your money back . IE your lawyer friend whatever he billed you per hour to write their lawyer you can get that money back as well.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                              Don't you mean 1300?
                              No - I said: the total deposit was $1300. After I had my lawyer friend contact them they sent me a check for a little over $1000. They claimed I hadn't vacated until May 9th (which was bullshit, but I didn't have any real proof) and they were withholding $300 for that.

I was just happy to get the grand back.

Quoth cleorose View Post
                              Actually since the amount owed back since he was late would be 2600. They got 1k already. So the only remainder is 1600.
                              Thats 2 months rent here so I would probably go for it. I doubt he can prove his allegations. The fact that he folded super fast on the first half of the deposit that he intended to keep already proves some level of shadyness.

And you can sue for court costs and legal fees associated with fighting to get your money back . IE your lawyer friend whatever he billed you per hour to write their lawyer you can get that money back as well.

I appreciate the sentiment, but sometimes you just gotta cut your losses.
                              Last edited by EricKei; 08-25-2014, 12:32 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Working...
                              X