This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not again... :(

I posted about our break-in: http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=107652

Well, it happened again. They got into the office and took the safe this time.

If I find out who's doing this I swear to God I will not be responsible for my actions >

Uh, what kind of security alarms and cameras do you have? Did they install anything after the first theft? This whole thing stinks of inside job to me.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

That's what we all think too... there are cameras, but the burglars seem to know where they are located. We've got a thick grille made out of metal covering the office/stockroom windows now.

Comment

Would it be possible to set up a webcam somewhere not too obvious?
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          Would it be possible to set up a webcam somewhere not too obvious?
          Oh heck no, make it REALLY obvious. The best deterrent is a visible one. Though I might add some not-so-obvious ones to the mix, so customers don't think it's overkill.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            Oh heck no, make it REALLY obvious. The best deterrent is a visible one. Though I might add some not-so-obvious ones to the mix, so customers don't think it's overkill.
            Put one big fake camera in a very obvious spot, and real cameras hidden. The thief sees the real camera, throws a cloth over the lens and thinks he's home free, but the real hidden cameras film the crime.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

A co-worker from my old job had a problem with candy disappearing from his candy dish, so as a joke he took an old cardboard box, covered it with electrical tape and a broken CCTV camera lens and made a 'candy cam' pointed at it.

However, something a bit more valuable than candy started vanishing from his desk drawer, that being the stash of quarters he kept there for the vending machines. Up to $10 a pop would disappear if he'd just refilled it with a roll, and he was starting to get pissed off. Given that his office, as were many others, were locked after hours, this put the suspicion squarely on the outside cleaning crew as they had keys to get into the offices to clean. Since his 'candy cam' was a regular fixture by now, it was obvious the thief didn't pay it any mind as it was fake.

Until it wasn't.

He took a working CCTV camera and put it in there so that its lens poked out where the broken one had been. No one looking at it could have been able to tell that this was now a functional camera, and since it was already attached to a ceiling tile, hiding the cable coming out was a simple matter. A hidden VCR recorded the video, and he also rigged up a surprise for said thief.

Sure enough, watching the footage the next day, the thief was caught red handed. It was a cleaning person who let themselves into the office, flipped on the light, and started to clean. It wasn't long before he reached down to the desk drawer and pulled it out, and in so doing, broke the circuit that was keeping a 90 dB alarm horn from going off. He vanished out of sight very quickly, and then eventually came back to try and figure out how to turn off the alarm, but wasn't successful. (Just closing the drawer would have turned it off. The lock on this old desk was long broken, just in case anyone is wondering.)

Needless to say, said cleaning person found himself unemployed shortly thereafter.
              A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Ye Olde Colonic Overpressure Test - always a winner!
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                X