This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scumbags in Business (Allegedly)

The Consumerist has learned about a company called Accessory Outlet that has (allegedly ) engaged in unethical business practices.

This is a list of allegations:
    * Failing to deliver accessories.
    * Charging customers US$250 if they complain about not getting accessories they paid for.
    * Threatening to charge US$50 if a customer disputes the charge with her credit card.
    * Various fraudulent images, including
    ** Posting a picture of their storefront in Mamaroneck, NY, USA. (Actually, that's a picture of a Samsung store in South Korea.)
    ** Posting a badge from the Better Business Bureau boasting an "A+" rating. (The BBB has given them an "F" rating and has filed a lawsuit claiming Accessory Outlet is using their badge without permission.)
    ** Posting a badge from Angie's List boasting "2013 Super Service Award." (Angie's List says that AO has no reviews so they were not eligible for that award.)
    ** Posting a badge from BuySafe. (BuySafe says that the badge is fake.)
    ** Posting a badge from Trusted Shops. (Trusted Shops does not certify business based in the US.)

Currently, their website is down . I wonder why.

Why do some business owners think that they can get away with these practices? At best, they're setting themselves up for a major embarrassment. At worst, their business could be shut down and the owners sent to jail.

Online Retailer Will Fine You $250 If You Even Threaten To Complain About Purchase - Consumerist
    More Sketchiness Revealed About Retailer That Charges Customers $250 For Threatening To Complain - Consumerist
    Sketchy Online Retailer With $250 Fee For Complainers Is “Down For Maintenance” - Consumerist
    Accessory Outlet Review - Better Business Bureau, New York
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Because in no way could this POSSIBLY backfire on us!
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

They probably figured that since they disclosed the fee in the fine print, they're good.

And I would bet a substantial sum that at least one complainer sucked it up and paid the fee.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I also read this on THE CONSUMERIST and simply couldn't believe it. They boast four different endorsements from four different consumer organizations and _ALL_ four of them are forgeries? Not to mention the phoney picture of their store and their fine print policy. Talk about hutzpah!

I can well believe they're offline, something like this is bound to go viral and completely destroy their reputation. And they deserve it.

Of course they start up again next week under a new name...

Comment

They have already started up under another name, from what I recall reading elsewhere.
          "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth BPFH View Post
            They have already started up under another name, from what I recall reading elsewhere.
            Why doesn't that surprise me?

Comment

Working...
            X