X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prayers/good wishes appreciated

*sigh*

Mom-in-law's cancer is back and it's now in her liver as well as her lungs. We live the farthest away (1000+ miles) yet somehow we are the ones who visit and call the most.

Sis-in-law decided to take Mom to her Dr's appointment on Saturday. Sunday morning we got a phone call from a very drunk SIL about how "Mom is dying and we don't care, and we need to call her and she's your mom dammit!" Luckily hubs didn't take the bait and argue with her. We call 2-3 times a week, every week. We visit whenever we can get time off/save up money, and we always visit and take care of her for at least 2 weeks! We're not the ones SIL should be mad at!

But still hubs is feeling bummed out - understandably. I've told him if we need to head out there we can go - kids are home-schooled now so it's not like we can't take it with us.

MIL is getting a feeding tube put in on Thursday. She already has a live in nurse with her. Her Dr wants her to move to hospice care, but she wants to stay at home.

My grandmother's Alzheimers is getting worse. Mom Sis and Gma went on their "family trip" (we weren't invited) to their Florida timeshare that mom bought instead of paying Gma's taxes. When they got back home, Gma didn't recognize her cottage - she still thought she lived in her home of 50+ years that uncle "stole" from her.

She demanded to see the lease, then argued with mom about how the bills were getting paid. Mom explained that she was paying them out of Gma's bank account for her. Gma replied that Mom was stealing her money and that she didn't trust her anymore.

Here's the part that has me pissed off. Aunt mentioned to Mom when Mom was going to give up and pay to put Gma in a nursing home. Aunt and Uncle are perfectly content letting Mom do all the work taking care of Gma and are hoping that Mom will pay for it, so they can just show up at the funeral and take their half of Gma's money and split. As far as Mom's concerned they've already gotten their half and then some. She says they should offer to pay at least half - but she knows they won't.

I know my Mom and I know she will keep on taking care of Gma until she just can't take it anymore and then Mom will pay for the nursing home/hospice care. Uncle and Aunt will laugh all the way to the bank.
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

I'm so sorry. Prayers for you and the family. Hubby is right to leave SiLs bait and your Gmas situation is terrible.

Stay strong.

Comment

Oh man... my prayers are with you, Kanalah, and with your husband and mother-in-law.
      "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Hugs and prayers are coming your way.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding the situation...but if Mom goes into a nursing home, won't her money have to go to pay for it? Which means Aunt and Uncle may not have the big inheritance they think they're going to get?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

*hugs* Well wishes on their way.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

What an awful situation. You and your family has my prayers and best wishes.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Let's make a trade, I'll pray for your family (which I'd really do anyway even if you don't agree to the trade) if you pray for my godson.
                I do hope things get better for you though, to some extent, it only can get better.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

/hugs

You know you are doing your best, and so does your MIL.
                  I know its hard, but ignore SIL.

Comment

Yeah we know every time SIL calls, she's drunk as a skunk and complaining about everything. Hubs knows to take it with a grain of salt.

Mooncat - Aunt and Uncle have sob-storied out 80-95% of Gma's money that she and (deceased) Gpa had saved up for their retirement. Gma is now living off of whatever Medicaid pays and what little money Mom makes from her booth at a crafter's mall. Mom quit her full-time job to move in and take care of Gma. Basically Aunt and Uncle feel they are entitled to 50% of whatever Gma has left - even though they are doing f all to help.

One sort of funny thing in all this is apparently even with Gma's Alzheimers is that now when Uncle calls or visits, Gma says to Mom "I think he's just going to ask me for more money." It's just sad that she's realizing this now - when she's nearly broke.

On Monday, Uncle called and asked mom if he could come pick up Gma and spend some time with her at his house. Mom said sure and got Gma up, dressed and fed. And waited, and waited. Uncle finally showed up at 4:30pm. He called mom to come pick Gma up at 4:45pm. Mom (and I) guessed that he just wanted to ask for money, but mom made sure to keep ahold of Gma's pocketbook.
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Kanalah, that's awful. If your grandma has an attorney your mom should talk to him/her. Or get one if she doesn't.

I'm sorry about all this. It's hard enough to deal with illness in the family without someone being a leech.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                      X