This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loyalty card woes

I work in a clothing/home decor concession shop set within a large garden centre. Said garden centre has its own loyalty card that you can get points on with each purchase.

There was a man, a woman and their teenaged daughter. I was processing her purchases and she suddenly gave me the loyalty card to scan through. I kindly informed her that we were a concession shop and not actually a part of the garden centre. She went ballistic.

Her: That's just wrong! You can't refuse me! You ARE a part of *garden centre*!

Me: We are a concession shop. We're not part of...

Then her husband completely cut me off.

Him: So you mean to tell me that we've bought ALL these things and we can't get points? Well that's just ridiculous!

The most I could manage was a false "sorry". I've learned that you can't reason with people like this, because they refuse to accept that they're wrong.

Anyway, I scanned the final item, and told them the total. I can't remember the final price but it wasn't cheap.

Her: Here's my *garden centre* card, scan it so that I can get the points.

Me: Sorry, I can't.

Him: Bloody ridiculous. This is wrong.

Her: Yes it IS ridiculous *sigh*

They then started talking about how this would probably be the same in the other concession shops around the garden centre and how unfair and ridiculous it was. The pair of them flounced out without using their manners, leaving their teenaged daughter red faced and giving me a "thank you".

Funny how they kept throwing around the word 'ridiculous' around when the only ones being ridiculous were them.

I hate when people refuse to take no for an answer. If you couldn't scan the card at the beginning of the transaction, what made them think that you were going to be able to scan it at the end?

And my heart breaks for the kids that are embarrassed by their parents like that.

Comment

What is wrong with people? Why get so worked up over a few loyalty points? I used to work at a concession in a book store (9 years ago now, eek!) and the same thing would happen.

Comment

Quoth Air_Stewardess View Post
        What is wrong with people? Why get so worked up over a few loyalty points? I used to work at a concession in a book store (9 years ago now, eek!) and the same thing would happen.
        People have always been wierd about freebies. When I worked at Babbages (early software retailer) we had a buy-10-get-one-free punch card (there were limits, but pretty much that).

One older gent came in regularly looking for software to buy just to fill the card and get the freebie.
        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I could see not realizing you weren't part of the garden centre, but once informed of the fact, time for them to drop it. Bitching about it won't change reality.

I get points on stuff that I can never use, is it really all that big a deal? A local supermarket chain sells gas at some of their locations and you get points toward money off on gas. I don't drive so it's useless to me, but I've noticed it never amounts to very much anyway.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

We have lots of people that don't understand how our loyalty card works. They bitch at me because they're not getting points. I try to explain that it's only on certain things but they don't listen anyway.
            I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I wonder if they genuinely genuinely thought you would accept it blindly the second time after not accepting it the first time.

Comment

Maybe the SCs were fans of Mythbusters, because the great Adam Savage once said: "I substitute your reality for my own."
                There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Comment

Quoth Nemesis44UK View Post
                  Maybe the SCs were fans of Mythbusters, because the great Adam Savage once said: "I substitute your reality for my own."

The full quote is more appropriate:

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" I don't think the SCs got that he was making a joke...
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Customers like this I always fall back on "the computer won't let me". Everyone knows you can't reason with a computer.

Comment

The storecard we use where I work is a separate company to the store I work for. This doesn't stop SCs from bitching about problems on their cards, like extra points not going on for online offers, or the fact that the new card they ordered hasn't arrived. Look, cretins; the storecard company is who you ought to be bitching at, not me... I can't do fuck all about your stupid points balance.
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth retro View Post
                        I wonder if they genuinely genuinely thought you would accept it blindly the second time after not accepting it the first time.
                        That is exactly what I was thinking.... "OH WAIT YOU SAID THE MAGIC WORD LET ME TAKE UR CARD NAO"
                        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                        What's the difference?
                        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Working...
                        X