Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My workplace keeps on doing tests for idiot clickers. We've gotten e-mails that claim to be from the head of IT telling us to log in somewhere (with something off, like the e-mail address is a bit off from the regular corporate one), and they'll track who actually logs in. Or an e-mail claiming to be a new upgrade where we have to click a link that our system then tells us is insecure, and they'll track who goes past the warnings. Things like that. Usually, if we see anything suspicious, we're supposed to contact IT. They are awful actors. We figure out right away that it's another test.

No complaints though. Rather have the tests then have to deal with our banking system being compromised.

Comment

Is the "idiot test" 2-level (clicks the suspicious links/doesn't click them), or 3-level (clicks the links/does nothing/forwards to IT with the comment "got this, and it looked funky")? If IT is REALLY on the ball, they'd do the second one - not just catch the idiots, but the semi-idiots (don't fall for it, but don't give a "heads up" either).
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        Is the "idiot test" 2-level (clicks the suspicious links/doesn't click them), or 3-level (clicks the links/does nothing/forwards to IT with the comment "got this, and it looked funky")? If IT is REALLY on the ball, they'd do the second one - not just catch the idiots, but the semi-idiots (don't fall for it, but don't give a "heads up" either).
        I'm not certain if they keep track of the people who forward it onto/notify IT or not. I always contact IT about it myself, just in case, and my suspicion that it's a test is immediately confirmed by their bad acting as they tell me they're "already looking into it". (If they knew about a real threat, they'd have notified everyone about it upon the very first notification, so just the fact that we haven't gotten an alert tells me that it's another test.) I guess I pass since I've never been talked to about it.

Comment

I try to avoid using Windows at all, I usually use either Linux, IcAROS, or Plan 9, none of which get viruses at all. But when I do have to use Windows, I use Microsoft Security Essentials. I used to use Avast, but it broke, and I've NEVER been able to get it to work again.

Comment

On the importance of back-ups: A friend of mine, who's a major technophile and writes computer programs for a living recently had SIX of his hard drives fail in less than 3 days. All of the drives on his two primary work machines (and all at once), and a couple of others in other computers in his house. One of the failures was one of his back up drives. Notice I said 'one of', I think he keeps backups in triplicate for just this sort of thing.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Oh, man...Cryptolocker messed my old Windows laptop up a few years back. Completely screwed up my firewall, I haven't been able to fix it. I bought a Mac since the majority of viruses are coded and geared towards Windows users, and I haven't had any problems, which is great. Haven't changed my download patterns or anything and I've seen a great improvement between the two machines. Really wish I could get the firewall back up on my PC, but I think it's beyond repair at this point, and I don't want to rip my hair out over it again

Comment

Nuke it

Quoth felinegurl View Post
                Oh, man...Cryptolocker messed my old Windows laptop up a few years back. Completely screwed up my firewall, I haven't been able to fix it. I bought a Mac since the majority of viruses are coded and geared towards Windows users, and I haven't had any problems, which is great. Haven't changed my download patterns or anything and I've seen a great improvement between the two machines. Really wish I could get the firewall back up on my PC, but I think it's beyond repair at this point, and I don't want to rip my hair out over it again
                Don't you have install disks or a install partition?

Backup your key files, reformat and re-install your OS, yes it is a lot of work but since you are starting over you also get include all that you have learnt to make the system better than it ever was.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                  Don't you have install disks or a install partition?

Backup your key files, reformat and re-install your OS, yes it is a lot of work but since you are starting over you also get include all that you have learnt to make the system better than it ever was.
                  The disk is something I've been trying to look for, but unfortunately I don't remember if I ever got an install disk when I bought it (I've had it for about 7 years and I'm very unorganised when it comes to disks and cords! Lol). I was thinking about buying a 1TB external drive, backing the files up, and reformatting, but since I just lost my main source of income, there will be no buying of hard drives in my near future!

I started typing this reply last night and forgot about it, but I just bought 1TB of cloud storage and I'm about to start uploading the files on my Windows laptop so I can delete and hopefully reformat.

Comment

Working...
                  X