This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost and Found Auctions

This thread reminded me of the auctions that the Toronto Transit Commission holds in order to get rid of all their unclaimed stuff.

Link here: http://www.policeauctionscanada.com/

Let me know if other companies and public transit authorities do this.
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

To the best of my knowledge, yes, police departments do this from time to time in the US, as well, all over the country. Cars that have been impounded (especially if repo'd/seized for tax reasons) are a big part of it, too. With some auctions, they sell off individual items; with others, there will be a milk crate or something similar full of random stuff with a lattice of duct tape over it, so you can see what's in there, but not handle the items, until you actually win the auction.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      To the best of my knowledge, yes, police departments do this from time to time in the US, as well, all over the country. Cars that have been impounded (especially if repo'd/seized for tax reasons) are a big part of it, too. With some auctions, they sell off individual items; with others, there will be a milk crate or something similar full of random stuff with a lattice of duct tape over it, so you can see what's in there, but not handle the items, until you actually win the auction.
      We bought a Dodge Caravan [um, I think it was a 1984?] in about 1997 or 98 at a police auction. Then we took it to base and arranged to have the drug dogs run through it. It was supposedly abandoned after being towed but we were not going to take any chances! Great minivan in the classic Caravan Mom Maroon. Ran well, was actually in very good condition despite the age. Unfortunately Rob got pushed off the road by some stupid woman deciding to pull into his lane without looking or using a turn signal.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I just can't believe the stuff that people lose these days. You'd think that they'd be more careful, since some of these items would probably have sentimental value, but this site suggests otherwise.

On the other hand, I'm sure that some of these items are not lost, but confiscated/seized. Is that true for other police auctions?

I won't be buying these items, as they used to belong to someone else, and, therefore, could have some bad karma attached to it. But that's just me.
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I know this is a fictional reference, but I recall on Family Matters one time that one of Carl's bosses bought a seized Porsche.

And Carl mentioned when he redid the front living room's decoration that most of the stuff belonged to ''hookers and drug lords.''

So yeah, probably seized.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I routinely go to whatever police auctions I can, mostly for bicycles. (I refurbish them and then donate them to homeless and halfway shelters.) Often pick up two or three for a few bucks a piece.

Comment

Our police department uses PropertyRoom. I don't know if all their stuff goes through them, or if they just use the site to get rid of some stuff and still do public auctions. I do know that they USED to have massive public auctions that would sell anything - not just lost items, but snowplows, dump trucks, cop cars, computers, desks, filing systems - anything the city, not just the police, no longer needed.

Here's an article. Happy shopping.

Comment

The dept I work at is in a college and we get stuffed turned in all the time. Middle of winter and we'll have 10 jackets turned in at a time usually. We only hold stuff for 30 days and once or twice a year the dept in charge of student clubs and college activities and such holds a sale/auction thing to sell off stuff. We can't sell cell phones anymore though because of someone buying one and not being able to activate it due to it being flagged by the phone company as stolen. I think the only exceptions are we donate the clothes and glasses.
                "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
                X