X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Does Argabarga Think About This

http://consumerist.com/2014/09/03/dr...ter-with-cops/

Teen driver decides a real license plate for his car isn't an absolute necessity and so makes one out of cardboard and lettered with blue pen.

Surprise, surprise; the cops say it isn't legal!!

One thing that really bugs me: "The driver wasn’t arrested but will have to show in court for charges of driving with a suspended license and attaching false plates."

IMO driving on a suspended license should have gotten him a shiny pair of behind the waist cufflinks, not getting let go!

About once a year, a car will pass me that's somehow lost it's plate, and the owner has home-made one out of cardboard/wood/whatever.

All I can say is, I appreciate the effort, and I don't doubt those numbers ARE the ones on your plate, it's just that, well, it's NOT a plate, and you're playing with fire if the cops see you. The lack of current REGISTRATION, let alone plates, WILL get you impounded here, no questions asked, and you can't get back out until you square up with the Commonwealth and get a magistrate to issue papers saying it's okay to get your car back. And then you have to get it retitled because they will TAKE the plate and sent it right to the shredder in Harrisburg if it isn't current.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I've actually seen a car with a plate made of wood with the numbers painted on. Somehow I doubt that's legal, either...
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I heard about someone who changed the date on his temporary tag. Police admitted that he did a convincing job except that he changed the date to February 32.
        This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

My neighbor for a while had a plate number on their new vehicle just printed out and taped in his rear window. No expiration date or anything that a legit temp tag would have. Literally just the plate number printed in Arial font and taped to the window. Dunno if they ever got busted for that.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I remember reading once about somebody in the District of Columbia having a temporary 30-day tag. When it died he somehow got another one instead of a permanent plate. Did this for some length of time before he got caught.

Always wondered just what that cost him...

Comment

I encountered a few people who had used cardboard or MDF as license plates for their bike racks. Given that a bike rack plate is $22, I do have to wonder what goes through these peoples heads...
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                license plates for their bike racks. Given that a bike rack plate is $22,
                What's a bike rack plate, please?

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                  What's a bike rack plate, please?
                  A number plate that attaches to bike racks that look like this:

Since the area where the licence plate is on most cars is obscured, many people will order a bike rack plate to attach to their bike rack so they aren't going to get done for obscured licence plate (it's a legal requirement over here to have both plates visible)

Comment

Couple days ago I saw someone just toss their plate in the rear window of their car.. Didn't even bother taking it out of the plastic they come in when you get it from the Ohio BMV.
                    Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                      , many people will order a bike rack plate
                      ah. Thank you. I can certainly see where it would be worth twenty bucks to not have to switch the rear plate from bumper to rack to bumper every time one put the bike rack on and off.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                        ah. Thank you. I can certainly see where it would be worth twenty bucks to not have to switch the rear plate from bumper to rack to bumper every time one put the bike rack on and off.
                        Also it helps with the issue of plate-stealing. A number of people have had special screws inserted onto their licence plates that mean you can't get it off barring a major emergency to prevent plate-stealing (which is amazingly common for my hometown).

The plate-stealing isn't to collect rare plates either by the way, it's more common to get a normal licence plate and then have it attached to your car while you're committing illegal acts, commonly speeding or petrol drive-offs (since those are automated or don't require someone to show their car rego). Because your registration is linked to your licence plate, you then get stuck with the fine instead of the plate thief.

(Yes, it can be waived if you have a statutory declaration showing you weren't actually driving at the time)

Comment

Working...
                        X