Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't know my password but do stuff for me anyway!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know my password but do stuff for me anyway!!

Here at <red checkmark> we have a very simple, very clear policy regarding account access. Generally speaking anyone calling in MUST provide the name of the account holder, at least one phone number on that account and most importantly, the account passcode.

Without fail, at least three times a week, I get calls like this one:

SC: Yeah I'm at Radioshack trying to get this phone upgrade straightened out and they're telling me I need my account passcode and I don't know it.
    Me: You don't have any idea what it might be?
    SC: If I did would I be calling you?
    Me:
    SC: Look, I can give you my name, address, social.
    Me: There is nothing I can use aside from your passcode to access your account. To reset it you need to go to the nearest <red checkmark> store and show a photo ID.
    SC: The nearest <red checkmark> store is about 12 miles from here, I really don't have the time and gas to spend to go over there. This is ridiculous. You must be able to do something, I can give you just about anything on the account you need: How long its been opened, recent numbers called. Just tell me what you need.
    Me: The only thing I need for account access is the passcode but you said earlier you don't have it.
    SC: Are you for real? This is ridiculous, I'm <name on account>, it's MY account, you have to let me access MY account.
    Me: With all due respect sir, how do I know you are really you? I mean anyone who knows your name, cell number and provider could call up and say they are you.
    SC: Are you calling me a LIAR??
    Me: Not at all, I'm simply saying that without the passcode there's no way I can verify that you should have access to this account.
    SC: This is UNACCEPTABLE. You should be able to ask me some security questions or something. I've already spent twice as much time as I wanted to trying to get this done. Now can you please help me reset this password and get into my account?
    Me: No, I can't.
    SC: What?
    Me: I said I can't reset your password. You HAVE to go to a <red checkmark> store. There's no other way.
    SC: Can you at least tell me if 555-334-8786 is upgrade eligible right now?
    Me: No I can't.
    SC: WHY NOT?
    Me:
    Me: Because that is account specific information and you are unable to give me the passcode.
    SC: *audible groan* You must not care about your job much to be giving me this kind of crap customer service.
    Me: I actually care about my job a lot sir. I could get fired if I allow you access to this account without verification. Our policy is very strict, zero tolerance. (Note: This is 100% true)
    SC: Yeah, well by not allowing me access you'll probably get fired too because I'm going to every manager, supervisor and <red checkmark> person I can and complaining about you. Thanks for nothing! *click*

On the one hand I like these calls simply because I can be a bit more "direct" with customers since unverified accounts don't get post call surveys.

But my god people, this is not complicated. If you don't know your password, you don't get access. This is computing 101 here. I swear people who can't grasp this concept should be barred from owning a smartphone.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Yeah, these people completely miss the point of a password. If it's so easy to call and get around, it's not useful. Being rude might work in some situations, but it's sweet to be able to say no and make it stick.

Even my old business, which had a rough time with that wireless provider, was NICE to them every time. It took a year, and lots of phone calls, but we got nearly $1,000 credit because they saw we had attempted to fix said problem, and that it was actually their error which started it.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

And if you did give out that information to someone else, without their say-so, they'd be screaming at you for doing it.
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I guess it might be nice if there were an alternative than a physical trip to a Checkmark Store, but there isn't, and yelling at the 1st-line phone rep isn't ever going to magically fix that.

Comment

At my center we are required to let unauthorized callers speak to Supervisors.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Working...
          X