Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yes, you did, Brett! Yes, you did! You tried to !#$% it!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, you did, Brett! Yes, you did! You tried to !#$% it!

I'm putting this here because the customer is a nice woman and not really an SC.

Had a woman recently purchase a Windows 8 laptop from us. She doesn't know how it works - perfectly understandable. I hate the new interface. Most people hate the new interface. She needed a little help navigating through it. No problem - I had one of my techs take a few minutes to answer all her questions.

But she comes in today, a couple of days later, because she's getting pop-ups.

I look at the desktop - it has one of those PC speed up things, some sort of driver software and some crappy PC Backup software.

That shit doesn't just magically appear. SOMEONE clicked on something, despite my repeated, ad nauseum warnings.

Finally come to the conclusion she did a Google search for OpenOffice and just clicked on the first link that came up, not realizing it was a third party bullshit web site that bundled all that crap with whatever OpenOffice version they had made available for download. She also didn't notice the little [AD] next to the link, which means it's an ADVERTISEMENT. That's why you should take an extra minute to read the first few links instead of just blindly clicking on the first thing that pops up.

Removed the junk software and sent her on her way.

I feel like Dr. House. "Everybody lies."

One issue I've found lately, even on (formerly) decent sites like download.com, is that the ads for the borderline-malware that are shown on their download pages often look WAY too much like the "Download Now" buttons for the stuff you're actually looking for. That's part of the issue, but a huge part is always people clicking on shit they should never have clicked on to begin with, even outside of ads.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      One issue I've found lately, even on (formerly) decent sites like download.com, is that the ads for the borderline-malware that are shown on their download pages often look WAY too much like the "Download Now" buttons for the stuff you're actually looking for. That's part of the issue, but a huge part is always people clicking on shit they should never have clicked on to begin with, even outside of ads.
      I nearly hit one of those today while getting an upgrade for my CCleaner. You really have to read carefully to avoid those things.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I just had problems with an OpenOffice install where I followed a Google link to openoffice.org!!
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I've tried 5 different times over the last 6 months or so before I gave up, but I've had the hardest time installing an Open Office spellchecker. After getting three times hit with virus, and having two that would uninstall whenever I turned off and on, I gave up. Open Office got hard
          Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

MC - I had a similar issue today - the boss' comp had some sort of fake "weather checker" malware on it that would pop up 3 separate ad windows every time you tried to do something useful -- invariably including a "download this file" window which just so happened to fit perfectly over the LEGIT download window for what I was trying to get. So much so that I almost fell for it...while trying to grab tdskiller. I knew what to expect after that when they popped up for Malwarebytes and, yes, CCleaner.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              MC - I had a similar issue today - the boss' comp had some sort of fake "weather checker" malware on it that would pop up 3 separate ad windows every time you tried to do something useful -- invariably including a "download this file" window which just so happened to fit perfectly over the LEGIT download window for what I was trying to get. So much so that I almost fell for it...while trying to grab tdskiller. I knew what to expect after that when they popped up for Malwarebytes and, yes, CCleaner.
              When d/ling those type of programs I always go to bleepingcomputer . com's d/l section. you can d/l tdskiller, adwcleaner, rkill, etc. directly from their site OR they have a link directly to the author's site. UNLESS like you said the malware positions itself directly over the Download button.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

There's also LibreOffice and I think another free one as well, for folks who don't want to mess with OpenOffice.

Usually the first thing we do with any computer that comes in is uncheck as much obvious junk as we can in the MS Config, manually uninstall as much as we can from Add/Remove Programs, then run the usual array of antispyware tools.

As much as I hate the stuff, it's what keeps us in business.

Comment

I actually did the "uncheck all non-MS stuff" (except for a few things) on his comp yesterday while I was troubleshooting it, along with cleaning out both Temp and %Temp% as usual.

We use OpenOffice at work, tho, speaking of the spellchecker: I have an odd issue with it. On some documents, it works just fine (often those which were imported from Word files). On others, usually those I made as ODS to begin with, the spellchecker doesn't do anything, even when I launch it manually. No language at all is checked. Maybe its default ODS template file (if there is one) doesn't have "English" (or anything else) checked by default, which I find really, really strange. Any idea how to set it to check by default?

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                    I'm putting this here because the customer is a nice woman and not really an SC. Had a woman recently purchase a Windows 8 laptop from us. .... Removed the junk software and sent her on her way. I feel like Dr. House. "Everybody lies."
                    Happens ALLLLL the time at our store. Btw, love the House reference: at my store my technician diagnostic stations are called "House" and "Wilson." Guess which one is the Mac.
                    Last edited by EricKei; 09-10-2014, 11:42 PM. Reason: trimmed the chaff

Comment

Working...
                    X