This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
    I've never gotten a rent bill. The terms are in the lease, essentially the lease is the bill. One place I lived, the "grace period" was three days, but you still accumulated a fee each of these days. I guess they didn't start the eviction process until day four. I had a couple times when I thought I'd get hit with late fees, but never did. I'm in a small building now, and for months a few days after the 1st I'd hear very persistent knocking on an upstairs door... Thank goodness his lease was up and he's gone.
    I have on occasion gotten one, but most places i've lived at expect you to know to pay at the beginning of the month.

Quoth Geek King View Post
    Not sure about your area, but around here, no lawyer is needed to post a late notice, or even begin eviction proceedings. Most professional apartment owners have a standard "late" form for their properties with lines to fill in the precise details like date and apartment number. Evictions are filed standard down at the appropriate government office. Lawyers are only really needed if the tenant fights the eviction and it goes to court.

Lawyers were probably involved in drawing up the original, standard base paperwork, but no need for them unless you make changes, or you're headed to court.
    Lawyers are typically needed for the final steps, but the initial process in every area i've lived in doesn't. The lease spells out the terms of the grace period (if any) when it goes late and when the eviction process starts. The only time a lawyer is needed is if the tenant disputes it (lawyer's not needed, but its a good idea) and often to finalize.

Speaking of rent, our place takes credit and debit cards, just have to pop by the office, a quick swipe, and its all done.
    Seph
    Taur10
    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I've never gotten a bill for rent either. We do have a 3-day grace period, but we don't get any fees attached.

Quoth Javarod View Post
      Speaking of rent, our place takes credit and debit cards, just have to pop by the office, a quick swipe, and its all done.
      My complex used to do that, but stopped. Now, it's done online. Which is nice, you don't have to worry about office hours.
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        People know that their rentbill is due on the same time each & every month. Just because someone doesn't get a notice that their rentbill is due doesn't mean that they don't have to pay it for that month. People canare be really stupid.
        Fixed it for you.

This is exactly the reason why I refuse to do billing of any sort. The 'but I didn't get my bill!' excuse doesn't fly with me. You're still using the services and they're due the same time every month, whether you receive notice or not you *still owe* someone money and its better you give it to them before they shut off your services/evict you.

I was told I should apply for the local power company because its fantastic pay. The position is in billing. Thanks but no thanks. I don't care how well I get paid, dealing with someone's pity card is not my idea of work. That's just... torture.
        "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

My previous complex sent out a bill each month, but I think I opened it half the time. I already knew when rent was due! I thought it was just a waste of paper personally, but I guess if that is the best way to get rent on time from your tenants...I'm back at a complex that I lived in several years ago and they don't send a bill out. I admittedly almost forgot about it this month, but I blame that on head up ass.

Comment

I sometimes space out on rent being due soon because I don't get a bill, but I don't blame anyone but myself. Rent is just..basic, the first bill you pay every month. duh
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Was living in an apartment for awhile. small building, about 40 rental units. Upon signing the lease to move in, the terms were laid out that I had to pay on xx of every month. Otherwise I don't remember getting any bills or paper. I did get once a "You haven't paid your rent yet" note under the door when I forgot about it once, paid the wrong amount another time. And another time I got a phone call to my emergency contact person when my check bounced and they couldn't get ahold of me (I was on vacation at the time... apparently I had spent enough on the way there that drained my checking account and had thought the rent had been cashed already)

Of course those people were also rather laid back. There were other tenants who were a month or three behind and they did provide me with a letter when "Your rent is going up", usually about 9 months in advance where I could promptly forget about it.

Another place I lived didn't have a "slot" to drop rent checks in. You either had to come into the office when it was open (10-3 if I recall) or mail it via regular mail so the postal worker could bring it in. I recall that that arrangement had been an issue at least once.
              Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

I've never had a bill for rent in the 20 years I've rented, the date the rent was due was in the rental contract.

the best arrangement for payment was when our landlord gave us the option of direct debt on a monthly basis, pay in cash to him or a deposit book (like a check book but with only deposit slips)

Comment

I'm confused; in this day and age wouldn't it be easier for landlords to give out the bank details to be paid into, then everyone setting up standing orders to pay into that account (clearly marked with their flat no.) at the beginning of every month? It's very easy nowadays to set this sort of thing up online without every having to go into a bank. No having to go to the bank, then wait for cheques to clear, no having to go through mounds of envelopes, no having to make an extra journey to pay it in person... much easier for everyone all round.
                  "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                    I'm confused; in this day and age wouldn't it be easier for landlords to give out the bank details to be paid into, then everyone setting up standing orders to pay into that account (clearly marked with their flat no.) at the beginning of every month? It's very easy nowadays to set this sort of thing up online without every having to go into a bank. No having to go to the bank, then wait for cheques to clear, no having to go through mounds of envelopes, no having to make an extra journey to pay it in person... much easier for everyone all round.
                    It would be easier . . . but it's also a cost.

Plus, many tenants probably still pay cash for their rent. A lot of folks can't get regular bank accounts, and would not be able to take advantage of this.

Although, I do pay my mortgage this way, and it's a godsend.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I almost forgot to pay my rent this month. I also have three days to do it and I remembered about 11 pm on the 3rd. I can pay the rent online through the complex's website and that's been great.

One place I lived had a box to toss the checks in but the last place just had a slot in the door so if the office was closed all the checks just ended up on the floor. In fact it took me longer to actually get my stuff out of there when I moved and it was after hours when I just chucked the keys through the door. Pretty much summed up my time in the place.
                      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

In all of the years that I rented (about 30 years or so) I have never received a "bill" or monthly reminder to pay my rent. When the lease was initially signed in all the places I have rented from it explicitly stated that the monthly rent was due by say the 5th of the month irregardless of what day of the week it fell.

IT was up to the leasee to make sure the payment in whatever form ie. cash check or money order was at least dropped in a drop box or presented directly to the onsite manger's office by the end of the business day on the due date.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

The joys of a private landlord who has kids around my age. He knows times get tough so as long as he gets the check around the first, I can post-date it to my paycheck.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                            I'm confused; in this day and age wouldn't it be easier for landlords to give out the bank details to be paid into
                            Fun fact, having those "bank details" to be able to deposit funds directly into someone else's account is also the "bank details" you need to have fake checks made to withdraw funds directly from places that aren't set up to verify checks and micr instantly. Not a good idea to give that info to people who already owe you money and have a good idea when others are paying into the account.

Most of my clients have electronic bank lock boxes set up. A bit of a fee, but money only goes one direction that way...

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                              Most professional apartment owners have a standard "late" form for their properties with lines to fill in the precise details like date and apartment number.
                              Most office supply stores carry such a form here in Chicagoland.
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Back when both of us were unemployed, we'd get "notices to quit" semiregularly, even when the overdue balance was only a few hundred $$ (or in a few cases even when there was no overdue balance and we had actually paid before the date on the letter). I found that exact form online; someone so inclined could dummy one up with the property logo and appropriate signature images and put it on anyone's door.
                                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                                X