X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The jeans-eating escalator

Short sighting but funny.

So my partner and I went out to a shopping mall the other day as partner wanted a belt and I was after some art supplies. We enter the mall through an escalator outside. My partner must've leaned a little too close to the edge, as next thing I hear is this "KRRRRRRCCCCKKK" sound. We both look around wondering what it is.

Turns out that SOMEHOW,my partner's jeans had gotten caught in the escalator and basically shredded it from about knee to almost near the bottom on one side. My partner wasn't hurt, but his jeans looked like they'd gone through a paper shredder.

So in addition to hunting for the belt and art supplies, we also had to do a trip into the nearest clothing store that carried affordable jeans. My partner was a bit annoyed as they didn't have his usual style, but he was happy with the price in the end. (Normally he goes bootcut style, these were straight-leg up and down. He wound up getting 2 for $60)

We did get the belt and art supplies in the end at least. The jeans took a trip to the nearest garbage bin and my partner and I are debating whether or not to say something to the council (the way the whole thing goes is that the mall is connected to the train station. The escalator we used was technically entering the train station from the street, but you took about 10-15 steps before you were in the mall proper)
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I vote let the PTB know about it before someone DOES get hurt, such as a child or senior citizen.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Yes, let someone know - that thing probably needs to be looked at by the service people. If nothing else, the denim in the works isn't doing it any favors.
      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

You should let them know. That sounds really dangerous.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
          You should let them know. That sounds really dangerous.
          Exactly...any form of machinery that catches and shreds articles of clothing SCREAMS danger and lawsuit. Hell, you should have pointed it out to someone at the mall and made them buy you a new pair of pants.

Comment

Around here, the escalators all have yellow stripes at the very edge of the steps, and signs warning not to step there. I've not heard of trousers getting shredded before, but they've done for some people's sneakers.

Comment

Please, as someone who often wears long skirts, let someone know this is happening!

Comment

Any escalator that has enough of a gap to pull in jeans needs to be repaired. That is too much of a gap. This time no one was hurt, but next time they may not be so lucky. Report it as soon as possible.

Comment

You should have kept the jeans to demonstrate how bad the problem is.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                  X