This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brain fart...

So i own a house....and want to do SERIOUS renovations on it.

my brain fart consists of what kind of person/professional would i talk with about layout and design of floor plans, and who would I talk with about structural support?

things like :

I want to take out a wall entirely, but not sure its a load bearing wall.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

If you want to do ALL the work yourself you can hire an architect, brng him hand drawn plans that match the existing house, explain the changes you want to do, he will draw up new plans to match the changes, then you hire an engineer, who will do a site visit, and then stamp the new plans if they are feasible/safe. Take the stamped plans to your building department for a building permit. They will give you a list of inspections you need to pass. As you complete each section, call for your inspection.

If your not really sure where to start, you should hire a contractor that specilizes in renovations. They will have on staff or a working relationship with designers, architects, engineers, carpenter and subtrades. If you want to do some of the work yourself you can exclude that from the contract
    Ex: contract includes framing, plumbing, electrical, heating and cooling, gas hookups, stairs, railings, boarding and roof. Excludes mudding, flooring, kitchen and bath build/install, painting, siding, landscaping/drainage.

Whatever you think you are up to tackle yourselves.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Working...
    X