This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Temp Turnover! - language warning at end

A lot of temp workers get hired at the site I'm posted at at this time of year; ramping-up for the holiday season. That means they all need starter training from security, their department, etc. And we have to make them badges. We're going through a LOT of badges, as 6+ people are being brought on per week.

But consistently, by the next week, more than half of those temps hired will have been let go already; the most common reason is doing something completely unsafe/stupid or no call/no shows - why go through days of the hiring process and training only to ditch a good paying job??? I think it's because they expect you to actually work and follow the rules, and you are actually supervised and monitored, so there's really no time to get away with anything. Maybe 1 in 20 will return their badge after being let go. Of course, we deactivate it, but we can always re-program and re-use the blank to conserve using new badges, and there's a steady river of badges just flowing away never to be seen again.

And the office wonders why we're asking them to order more badges so soon after getting the last box....

PS. Most recent hire was let go for the darn dumbest reason. He got into an argument with another temp; he says he was joking, but the other temp didn't take it that way. The supervisors who witnessed it agreed and the guy was pretty much kicked out of the building right then and there.

What did he do?

He got into an argument with the other temp and told him to "Get back to picking cotton you damn N****r."

Joking...right.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

IF he said that on the street in the inner city he'd get his ass handed to him.

Comment

You wouldn't even be able to FIND his ass!
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
        You wouldn't even be able to FIND his ass!
        Or _ANY_ part of him!

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
          He got into an argument with the other temp and told him to "Get back to picking cotton you damn N****r."
          I saw something like that at McDonald's once when I was a teenager, although not to that extreme. A white guy and a black girl were behind the counter, playfully busting on each other, and then the guy said, "You're just mad because my grandfather owned your grandfather!" They both laughed, so it's clear they actually were joking. Still, it wasn't cool saying that where customers could hear it.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
          X