This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Comment (rant)

So this stupid comment from a customer got under my skin more than it probably should have and I just have to rant a little ...as for bg, i'm a cashier at a grocery store. I work as many hours as I can, as I am a single mother, have bills to pay, kids to feed, etc...sometimes I work 9-10 days straight. I work the day shift (9-4, give or take an hour either way)
    sooo....

Dude comes up to my register yesterday, and in what I considered to be a kinda defensive/exasperated manner, he says "You're here AGAIN?? Every time I come in here, YOU are here!"

Yeah. it's MY JOB! I WORK HERE! If Person X works in an office from 9 to 5, and you go to said office at 3 everyday, that person IS going to be there! It's called employment, having a work schedule. Why be surprised that I'm WORKING at my place of employment ("again!?") It's not like cashiers are disposable single-use employees, work one shift and be replaced by someone new every day..
    And it's not as if I am a teenager working part-time for pocket-cash. I'm in my mid-30s, earning a living here, as close to full-time as the company will allow. Yes, I'm here everyday, just as you are probably at your place of employment everyday. It's not optional; it's not like I wake up in the morning, put my kids on the school bus and think "oh hey, just for fun I'll go hang out at the grocery store AGAIN today!"

Argh...like I said, it bugged me more than it should have.
    Thanks for letting me vent

I used to get that kind of thing a lot as hotel front desk staff, only it was usually "You're STILL here??? How long is your shift???" Well...it's 9 hours with an hour for lunch so...it's an 8-hour shift...you know like most people work??? Or they'd be shocked if I did a close/open back to back and they saw me again the next morning.
    "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

You have to think of it from the opposite end and reply, "and what are YOU doing here? Don't YOU ever WORK or have any JOB???"

Comment

I get that too. It's usually "You're always here. Don't you get a day off?" Yes, I do. I work five days a week. Not always five in a row, sometimes more, sometimes less. Most of the time though I'll just say "Nah, I have a space set up in the back room where I sleep."

And sometimes if I'm doing an evening shift the hours are 3-11 and someone will be in at 4, then come back for something else around say 9 and I'll get "You're still here?" Again, just putting in my 8-ish hours like everyone else for a work day.
        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I get this thought whenever I go to my local Kroger's late at night. There's two people always there, an old fart on the SCOs, and a stocker with a flat teal mohawk.

But I don't make comments like that...geez....
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

It's their way of joking, but it's gets really old really fast. I got it a lot when I worked in Land of Quid. Sometimes they'd go "Fancy seeing YOU here!"

Um yeah... fancy that.... this being my job and all.

Comment

Ha! I get the opposite sometimes, every once in a while some person (for some reason it's usually a guy in his 50's trying to flirt with me, yuk) who will say "Oh I haven't seen you here before, you must be new!"

Ummm.....nope, I've been here over two years now....
              Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

I have little pet peeve phrases that customers say.. One is "you people." I don't know why but I just loathe that; so I can see exactly where you're coming from.

But hey, maybe the customer is thinking "you're here AGAIN? Don't your employers realize that you're entitled to time off?"

Comment

That does sound as though it didn't come out right. It would've bothered me too, a bit.

I've had funeral directors who've called in to make changes to a notice say to me, "Are you the only one there?" because they've gotten me every time they called in that day. I just usually say, "No, but it feels like it!" (And I've had a few days when I actually was by myself on the phones for a few hours).

VComps, I hate that phrase "you people" too! Only people who are ticked off about something use it. Nine times out of ten, it's not even my dept. that ticked them off, but to the customers, we're all one!
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

That happened to me at the gas station far too much. Mostly because, unlike Kwik Trip and Holiday (or any other chain of larger gas stations), this was a small family owned station, and at most, we maybe had 5 or 6 total employees (Though most of the time, just 3). My manager and her sister, one or the other or sometimes both, worked mornings till early afternoon, and I worked 2 or 3 till closing. If we were lucky and on the higher side of more than 3 people, I might get one day a week off, maybe two if that extra person wanted hours. But most of the time, we ended up hiring schmucks who called in nearly every shift or just didn't last that long anyway.

Eventually, we ended up going to 5 or 6 people, but they were really, really part time people, because it was just too much for these people to work more than one day a week.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I get this annoying assed guy who comes up to me everyday AFTER I deal with a massive line and have just worked my ass off and always makes comments about how bored I look and that he never see's me do any work. Like I want my bosses to hear that!! I HATE when people say stupid shit and think its funny!

Comment

I work for a large chain gas station but we only only have 6 people. To run a 24 hour store. This means everyone works alone. I get these comments all the time. I tell them they must be here as much as I am for me to be here every time they come in!

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                          You have to think of it from the opposite end and reply, "and what are YOU doing here? Don't YOU ever WORK or have any JOB???"
                          I DO think that alot, about a lot of our regular customers. Or when someone is being particularly rude or difficult, I always want to ask them where they work, so I can go there on my day off and give them the same shit

Comment

Working...
                          X