This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Greenwich...

I was on the Tube (London) recently and obviously looked like I knew where I was going, as two people in quick succession asked me for directions. I managed to direct the first one to a suitable platform, but the second one - who had a rather thick accent - wanted "not Greenwich". I spent about five minutes with him trying to work out a) how to get anywhere near Greenwich from where we were, and b) where on earth he wanted if he didn't want Greenwich...

...and it was only after those five minutes that I realised he meant "North Greenwich".

My bad!

I did point him onto the right line in the end though, and he went off happy.
    I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Accents you can't understand are one of the most frustrating things ever.
    We have a Mexican regular who's one of the nicest guys ever, but I can hardly understand a word he says due to his unusually thick accent.

Comment

Not a customer, but a former coworker was the same way, except in addition to her thick accent, she talked like a machine gun.

Comment

One of the Assistant Managers I had at Curtain Shop is Fijian Indian, and has a moderate accent. He speaks quite quickly, but it doesn't really take very long to get used to his style of speaking.
        Once I asked him to remind me which branch I was transferring stock to. He replied- " Not sure."
        I went and looked on the transfer sheet- oh. He actually had said " North Shore." XD
        Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
        It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Working...
        X